1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How fast do I have to go?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by imntacrook, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

but of course, they're all wrong as there are no gods, right?

:p

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Turns out that it doesn't matter.
    Because of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle you might be able to measure my speed or identify my location, but you can not measure both at the same time. Therfore, even if you manage to identify my location when I cross the finish line you will not know what speed I was traveling. Likewise, if you are able to measure my speed, you will not be able to tell when I am located at the finish line.

3. jeneric

jeneric New Member

No fair going to the 2nd question if you didn't get infinity for the 1st one. ;)

And if you don't like dividing by 0, how about we bring it down to a google mpg. You know there are not even a google atoms in the universe? Trippy. And while I'm rambling, a googleplex is written starting with 1 followed by a google zeroes. A google is just a 1 followed by 100 zeroes. Don't believe me? Google it. :huh:

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I admit it, I was wrong. I saw the error of my ways about 60 posts ago and was too embarrassed to say anything. In my defence, my caffeine level was stupidly low at the time (remember Jack's theorem "caffeine =intelligence"?) and high school physics was a very long time ago. Forgive my stupidity.

So, imnotacrook, what was your next question? Anybody go for one divided by zero?

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never mind, jeneric just answered that one as I was writing it. Talk about spooky action at a distance...

6. driveprius

driveprius New Member

1st question in detail:

30 mpg for the 1st mile plus infinite mileage for the 2nd mile. That's the same as saying in the second mile you burn 0 gallons of gasoline. So you've burned exacty the same amount of gas that you did in that first mile but manage to cover twice the distance because you could coast on just pure momentum on the 2nd mile without any gas. So double the distance without increasing any gas consumption means double the mileage. So 2 * 30 mpg = 60 mpg.

I post the more general solution in this link:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...03&#entry180703

7. jeneric

jeneric New Member

This is wrong. and I'm sure some marketing could use the term mpg "per mile", as I have, to sell some Hummers.

8. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

I'll be thinking about it, I don't know if you guys are prepared!! or I should say I'm prepared.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Coasting, you achieve infinite MPG, because you are using no energy. But running in electric mode you are consuming energy that will be replaced later by burning additional gas. So you are not really getting infinite mpg in EV mode. It's too bad that the mpg displays in the Prius pretend (1) that electricity is free, and (2) that gas burned to produce electricity is wasted. In EV mode it tells you you are getting 99.9 mpg, and while recharging the battery it tells you you are getting low mpg.