1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How hard to replace AC Condenser?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by miscrms, Sep 16, 2010.

1. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey folks,

Looks like my AC condenser on the 2005 has been taken out by a rock. Guess thats not too uncommon from what I gather. AC got weaker and weaker over the summer, took it in to the dealer to diagnose. They found a big freon stain/gunk buildup on the right bottom corner, and are saying it needs a new condenser to the tune of $1300. They recommended taking it to our insurance, as if a rock hit it should be covered. Long story short, insurance is giving us the run-around because this is a salvage/rebuild. I've done a fair deal of work on past cars (oil, brakes, hydraulics, head gasket, clutch, etc) but have yet to wrench on the Prius much. I've never worked on the AC system, but this situation has me seriously thinking about starting :rolleyes:

From what I gather I need a 88450-47020 condenser assembly w/receiver. It seems like this should come with the replacement o-ring for the dryer cap (anyone confirm that?). Other than that it seems like I'd just need the special hybrid AC oil. From the tech manual changing the condenser out seems pretty straight forward, particularly as there is likely no refrigerant to speak of in the system currently. What worries me is not being able to test it under pressure/vacuum, and whether to try charging the system myself or if its reasonable to take it to a corner garage and have them leak test it and charge it after I've put the whole thing back together.

Anybody done it, and have any comments on how tricky it was? Any comments on working on the AC in general?

Thanks,
    Rob

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As you said, parts changing is straightforward. You will need special equipment to pull a vacuum to evacuate the system. This not only verifies the system is airtight, it also removes moisture

You absolutely need the special compressor oil. The final step of evacuate and recharge might have to be done at a dealership. Ask them what they charge to evacuate and recharge

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just remember that your Prius AC uses special refrigerant oil. Use of standard oil can cause electrical leakage and a new compressor. Other than that, any qualified AC shop can handle condenser replacement.

JeffD

4. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I changed mine myself. I have a vacuum pump to pump it down, you can purchase one yourself for under $200. I bought an aftermarket condensor, it comes with the reciever drier built in. It was under $100, if I remember correctly. I previously posted about where to get the oil, you will need to add 10 cc of oil. Car Car Quest sells it under part # TSI CQ16136

5. nthach

nthach New Member

Most AutoZones rent out vacuum pumps - a decent Mastercool 1.5cfm single-stage unit. However, the Prius(and almost all hybrid HVAC systems which use hermetic compressors like a fixed HVAC system) requires POE(Polyol Ester) oil - not the PAG(Polyakylene Glycol) oil found in most mobile HVAC systems. I'm not sure if aftermarket POE oils not labeled for hybrid use would be OK - but I would stick with ND Oil-11, or a hybrid-specific oil. You could also use Emkarate or Zerol stationary refrigeration oil - our Denso compressors aren't much different from a mechanical level compared to a Copeland or Embraco hermetic stationary compressor.

6. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    AC oil -- is 8 oz enough or is 10 oz mandatory?

Carquest sells an 8 oz can for about $6. My car was front ended and I replaced the AC condenser and one AC line. What if I add only 8 oz instead of 10 oz? If I must add 10 oz, I don't mind buying 2 cans but is there a way to add just 2 oz from the 8 oz can? I haven't seen the can, perhaps there's a sight window? I have the vac pump and the R-134a freon charge kit with hoses and gauges. The system will be under vacuum when you add the oil, so it'll get sucked in. I haven't seen the oil bottle but maybe it'll make sense when I see it.