1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How hard to replace fuel pump, 2010 prius 20

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ggprius20, Jul 16, 2018.

1. ggprius20

ggprius20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dear all, my friend's (girl) prius 20 from 2010 yr model has fuel pump broken. It is at Toyota dealership now quoted ~1000$ for part and labor. 160$ for diagnosis already paid and they are asking to use it toward repair in case if they do it there. Is there any cheaper option? From one of the threads in this forum, the pump can be replaced within in an hour? Did anyone do it before?

I am mechanically inclined and in the past did a lot of car repair and can help her out if it is a simple job however I dont have time for major or moderate job.

Any suggestion would be fine.

IMO, Since it is 8 years old car, premium parts and service may not be necessary. Something decent from Autozone or likes and replaced quickly, I'd go for it. Thanks!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. ggprius20

ggprius20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    already did some investigation,s youtube shows it can be done in 30min may be, below rear seat, cost on autozone is around 400-600$ range, ebay lists used one for as little as 100-200$. So if we decided to do ourselves
    160$ diag (already paid) + towing (~300$), + parts (200-600$) => total cost: 660$ - 1060$ anyways, does not looks like it is worth to do ourselves?

3. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  4. ggprius20

ggprius20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, do you think 100-200$ range listed in ebay are good ones? Anyone done it? I know there are always some risks.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Once you remove the lower part of the seat, the cover for the fuel pump is right there;).

I remember reading the thread by one of our Australian members and it seemed straight forward.

Good luck and take some pics (y).

6. ggprius20

ggprius20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How do you determine the trim level? I am confused, when purchase from ebay, it is either base or premium, but on other web site, it is I, II, III, IV, V etc., Thanks.,

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grit likes this.