1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How high up do I need the outdoor outlet so the brick stays off the ground ?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by GKL, Feb 6, 2020.

1. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    We still have a while to wait on delivery of our 2020 Prime XLE, in the meantime I was getting materials needed to have an outdoor outlet installed out front on the side of a 4x4 wood post at the end of a ramp which will give us an outlet about 20 feet from where the car will be parked.

The wood post I want to attach the outdoor outlet to is a total of 41 inches high from the ground to the top of the railing. I plan on using a hook to hang the brick underneath where the cord comes out but need to know the minimum distance the outlet needs to be off the ground in order to keep the brick off the ground when hanging under the outlet.

The outlet will be a 120v 15a outdoor rated outlet with ground fault protection.

Here is the outdoor outlet cover I will have over the outlet -
    41344puSG7L.jpg

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Two feet should be enough. But make sure you have something to hang the "brick" on. The cable isn't designed to support it. (Nor is the plug or receptacle.) So, if you're hanging the brick from a nail or screw, it doesn't make much difference how high the outlet is, just so the plug can reach it from the hanger.

GKL likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd be strongly inclined to wait till you have the cable/brick in hand..

GKL likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    20 feet is going to be very close to the length of the OEM cord length. You maybe needing an extension cord to safely plug-in your car. If that is the case, you may need an weatherproof box to house the "brick" and connection of EVSE plug to the female socket of the extension cord. AFAIK, there is no minimal clearance off the ground as long as the "brick" and the connections are protected from weather element.

GKL likes this.
  5. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, with 41 inches to work with (minus the size of the outlet itself) I should not have any problem allowing at least 2 feet clearance below the bottom of the outlet, and yes I do plan on having a hook to hang the brick from,

Thanks, but I want to be ready to charge it up as soon as we get it home as likely it won't have much charge on it when we pick it up from the dealer after it arrives.

I am going to install the outlet and 25 foot of conduit going to a conduit box near the outside wall of our house, then have an electrician run a connection from the conduit box going thru the outside wall to tie into an indoor outlet near that spot, (my wife is not keen on me doing that part :D) at least with me having the other part done should reduce the labor cost, the thing is that it might possibly take a few weeks for our local electrician to be available as he is good at his job and stays busy)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, I could park as close as about 18 feet away if we needed to, so I figure with 25 foot charging cable it should be okay.

#6 GKL, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  7. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If your outdoor outlet is a new install, give great consideration to installing a 240 volt outlet instead.

Then you can use your Toyota OE EVSE unit at 240 volts with an adapter, your charge up time will drop down to 2:28 minutes.

Rob43

jerrymildred and GKL like this.
  8. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks, the idea had crossed my mind before, and I MIGHT consider it at a later date, but it would be extremely rare we'd have a need to recharge that fast, so don't think the extra expense would justify it for us. If we did change our mind at a later date we have a 220v outlet in the house used for an electric dryer, and I've read of people using a "Y" adapter and a heavy duty extension cord meant for 220v, but I think for us the 120v option will be enough.

I also like the idea of having the 120v outside outlet for when I'd want to use a vacuum cleaner for our vehicles, or times when I might need to use power tools outside and no longer need to run a long extension cord from inside the house.

9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd put the outlet 2 feet above the ground. Then when you get your car you'll want to put a hook for the brick about the same height but on one of the two sides (90 degrees) from the face you put the outlet. Then you might want to put a larger hook up higher that you coil up the cord on.

Mike

Mendel Leisk and GKL like this.
  10. GKL

GKL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Good ideas, thanks, adding the hooks won't take long so no problem waiting till we get the car to do that part.