1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How hot is all that glass in the hot sun?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Honeycombe, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Honeycombe

Honeycombe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Dallas, TX, where it gets over 100 degrees in the summer. In looking at the Prius, I noticed that both the front and rear windshields are expansive and near the top actually point upward, so that I imagine the sun shines right into the car. I wonder...how hot will the interior be after sitting in a parking lot in 100 degree heat with a blazing sun for an hour or so? Is that a problem for anyone?

I'm looking for a new car...test drove the Prius, but would like to test drive the V coming out, and maybe even wait on the plug-in. But those windshields keep bothering me. I see a LOT of Priuses (Prii?) on the road here, so maybe it's not a problem. I imagine myself driving on a blazing hot day, unable to get away from the sun pouring in from the front and the back. That was a problem I had with a Honda Accord hatchback I had years ago. The sun would blaze down on my lap, and I'd be sweating, even with the a/c on full blast. Can we put dark film on the top parts of the windshields?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It regularly hits 110+ here in the Central Valley of California and I don't have any problems with the heat. If you have sensitive skin and cannot tolerate sun very well then the windshield could be a bit of an issue but you would have to worry about that to some degree with most cars anyway.

3. drew_flux

drew_flux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hotest day on record,sydney australia. 48c outside 55 in the car with no tint. thats like 133f. it took 10min too cool down before i could get in.must buy tint before next summer.

4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not an advocate of leaving windows open/ajar, and I don't have complaints about my a/c taking too long to cool the interior. I could certainly see the value of the solar sunroof option for extremely hot regions. You just turn on the a/c before coming to the car and viola, nicely cooled when you get in.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 is just fine in Dallas summers. I do use a Sunshade in the front to keep the dash from cooking.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A sunshade is the most obvious answer for you.

Absolutely.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My windows are tinted, I put up reflective shades when the car is parked, and I keep windows cracked open. I *really* do not like heat, but this is enough for me in the SW. If I was still unhappy I would buy a car cover.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from dark colors for the exterior.

9. claridiva

claridiva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am a Prius-owner living in Dallas, and yes, it is extremely helpful (I would deem necessary!) to have your windows tinted. I also have the top strip on the front windshield tinted. I do not have the solar roof, but that is certainly one way to deal with the heat.

However, beyond the tinting, I do use the Prius solar shade (bought here from the PriusChat Shop) and I crack my windows. I have been very happy with how well the shade helps. Getting into my car in the summer has been much BETTER than the Accord that it replaced. The AC also works very well and quickly cools down the car.

The Prius is a very viable option in the south, and I suggest you don't worry about the amt. of windows, but just determine whether this car suits your needs, family's needs, commute patterns, etc. It is a wonderful car and I have been extremely happy with it.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're HSEA glass (High Solar Energy Absorbing) and do quite a good job (forgot how nice they are until I got my smart which doesn't have that kind of window, just standard green-tint windows and it made a huge difference. The Prius was actually cooler).

You can tint the top of the windshield. Check with local laws to see how far down you're allowed to tint.

I would suggest a solar roof option. It'll ventilate the hot air out and draw (relatively) cooler air from outside via solar power. Then, before you get into the car, you can press the Remote A/C button on the fob to turn on the A/C to further cool the interior. Don't expect an ice box when you get in but at least it'll be cool enough that you won't be sweating for the first 5 mins.

Also, I suggest a windshield sunshade (like the one here in the PriusChat Shop). It's a CanvasWorks "Heatshield" sunshade that's custom fit for the windshield.

Lastly, perhaps stick with a lighter coloured interior (Bisque or Misty Grey instead of the Dark Grey).