1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How I found out my 12 volt was dead and my hack to get my car going

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kevin schroeder, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Kevin schroeder

Kevin schroeder New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2005 Prius . The other day my wife called said the car has no power it was showing the

2. Kevin schroeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So we got the triangle of death and dead hybrid battery light and engine light all came on . I was thinking crap this will be expensive . I had a very large marine battery and jumper cables . So to see if it was the 12 volt and not the big hybrid battery I put my jumper cables on the battery in the trunk . Effectively making the Marie battery the replacement and when I turned the car on everything worked all lights went off . Except the check engine light .I drove the car for a long drive 30 min or so and came home turned off car and restarted all warning lights went off telling me it was the 12 volt . I drove to town bought a new 12 volt from my local shop . Everything is good. I noticed when I put the new 12 volt in my car did not run the gas engine as much I think it’s been trying to boost the tired old 12 volt for some time . Now the car works like new again and even stays charged with green light longer . Hope this can help someone

R-P, SFO, jerrymildred and 1 other person like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done, thank you!(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don’t connect jump leads directly to the 12 volt battery in the trunk it’s very unsafe and a lot of work use the front under hood jump points.

5. Kevin schroeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base

6. Kevin schroeder

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was not trying to boost the car . I was trying to determine if it was the 12 volt was the problem and by putting a battery connected to the terminals will effectively be like I have replaced the battery and told me that was the problem and allowed me to drive my car to town and get the proper battery

7. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not pointed at OP, but at anyone reading this...

And for gods sake, don't reverse the jumpleads.

I do stupid stuff all the time, recovering from stigmata from a screwdriver I drove into the palm of my hand trying to open a 5$ screenwash-pump, so who am I to judge... but I cannot understand that people manage to hook up a black cable to the red "+" labelled jumppoint under the hood and also hook up the red cable to the chassis. But if you do this, there is several 1000$ of damage in a Prius. So don't.