1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How I got here

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by alam99, May 12, 2021.

1. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

Just wanted to share how I became a Prius owner. It's a little long, so feel free to skip if long posts aren't for you.

I was a fan of Prius since the late '00s. I lurked on this site for some time, but I wandered away when I didn't buy one. I almost pulled the trigger on a Prius in 2012 but purchased a Honda Fit instead. It was my first Honda and I found it very airy inside. It felt more spacious than the Prius C, was relatively cheap, and handled very well on the road. More recently, I got a Honda Accord Hybrid. Wow, great ride quality! It felt like a very mature vehicle in every sense of the word. In warm weather I easily got more than the EPA tested 48 MPG. But unexpectedly I didn't enjoy the horizontal space inside. I just never got used to it. It felt too wide and finding parking for such a long vehicle can be difficult (I'm a city dweller). I guess I like "cozier" vehicles.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't trade in a vehicle so quickly, but recent events meant my Accord's trade-in value was significantly higher than I would have expected. I was also able to find a Prius XLE at a very fair price, all things considered. The test drive went very well. I didn't feel like I had to "adapt" to any differences in the car. No readjusting to the change in horse power (acceleration) or braking sensitivity or seat position (view of surroundings). I also like the view from the rearview mirror. That extra piece of glass at the back windshield provides much more visibility than I expected. In the Accord, the rear windshield view seems more of an example of form over function.

Anyway, I'm aware that current (cutting edge) interest is in the direction of EVs and the Prius Prime. But better late to the party than not at all. :)

2. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Welcome to the group. The prius tends to grow on you. :)

Valiant V and alam99 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    purchased my 2004 after drooling over gen 1 for awhile. the new design put me over the top. joined here shortly after.
    it has been an enjoyable 16 years, and i have never looked back, just forward to the next one.

markrivers, Raytheeagle and alam99 like this.
  4. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For anyone interested, I'm going to put in some thoughts comparing my Prius XLE with my previous Accord Hybrid EX.

I believe the Accord Hybrid is quieter on the road while my wife thinks the Prius is quieter. Maybe we're both right from our perspectives. Road noise is more subdued and it seems as if the Accord can stay in battery-only mode for longer. (I drove the Accord as hybrid only and never used the EV button). However, the engine noise in the Accord is a droning sound that is very different from the typical engine sound. I find the Prius to have more of a "typical" engine noise and that noise is easily lost in the white static of road/tire noise, while the Accord engine drone is very distinctive and stands out.

Another difference I'm seeing is the Prius seems to like running the engine more at the very beginning of my first drive of the day, even if the day is moderately warm. I don't recall the Accord running the engine as much with temps at 55-60 degrees.

A few small things I dislike about the Prius so far.
    1. The reverse guidelines in the back up camera are not dynamic.
    2. I can't get Siri Eyes Free to work. I've tried holding down the Off-Hook button as well as the Voice Command button. Is it because I haven't trained the system to recognize my voice yet? I can get the Prius voice control working, but not Siri Eyes Free.
    3. Not really an issue since I'll be asking the Dealership to change this, but that reverse warning. The constant beeping makes me think something is in the way and getting picked up by the parking sensors.
    Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post more as comparisons/contrasts come to mind.

markrivers likes this.
  5. I had a Prius c for a while as well. I don't miss it, but it was a nice springboard to the Prime. Actually today was my first time in over 30 days that I turned on the engine. Not really a big deal since I'm going on a road trip soon anyway.
    And on that note, welcome

alam99 likes this.
  6. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some pluses for the Prius:

Parking on the street is much easier due to the Prius’ shorter length and width. Handling is very good, even enjoyable on city and suburban streets. I’m more comfortable handling this car and the seats fit me well. I like the softex seats, they are softer than leather (or leather substitutes) I’ve experienced in other cars.

There’s been a few tailgaters, but I tend to drive at the speed limit.

Funny thing, the current generation shape never really appealed to us, but it’s grown on us. I asked my wife “So, do you still dislike it’s looks now that we have it?” She says “Nope!” and laughs.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome Aboard!

They may not be as close as you think.
    The Prius (even the G4) is shaped sorta like a door stop. There's not four feet of car behind the rear glass so despite what the feds make them put on some outside rear view mirrors....objects may NOT be closer than they appear.

They look better from the inside.
    They look a LOT better at a gas station!

Good Luck!

8. markrivers

markrivers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    welcome to the club!
    there's something with the Prius, that i love
    it's hard to explain but it is my daily commuter

alam99 likes this.
  9. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This forum has already been helpful answering my questions. I had a question about how heated steering wheel works. I was glad to receive confirmation it doesn’t actually heat the 12:00 position. Well, not glad, but at least now I know that’s normal and not broken. I had the dealership include the body side molding (but not installation) with my purchase, but I discovered it didn’t include instructions. An older thread pointed me in the right direction to download a copy. When I was installing the molding, I came across a chip in the paint. I really don’t want to deal with the dealership I purchased from because, despite relatively high reviews, I wouldn’t count it as one of my more positive experiences in buying a car. A search on this site gave me options to purchase touch-up paints. You never know if an unfamiliar online store is legitimate so knowing that other members did business with them before is comforting.

Now I’ll rant that the heated seats on low is barely noticeable. Cry for me. ;)

10. Valiant V

Valiant V Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tailgaters here (rural East Texas) are the rule rather than the exception - doesn't matter WHAT you're diving - sometimes not even how fast you're going. I find it to be the case pretty much everywhere now. I think people have become entirely too complacent about driving and don't bother to think that they're on narrow, winding, hilly roads with no shoulder - and that it's very common for dogs, coyotes, feral hogs and even the occasional wayward steer to wander onto the road. I'm constantly amazed (horrified) to see people driving 70+ mph trailing a car by a car length or less - but I see it CONSTANTLY.

I think "NASCAR" is the problem and the folks around here all see themselves as Dale Earnhardt or something.

Parking the Prius is great. Even being an experienced parallel parker (born and raised in Chicago) I've surprised myself the small spaces I can get into with the Prius - without using the bumpers to feel my way. (No, I don't have the "parking assist" feature!)