1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How I Recondition Cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracy ing, Jun 19, 2022.

1. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    somehow this thread about HOW I DO THINGS has devolved into a pissing match by those wanting to say what i do doesnt work as i post the data live showing it does. every post seems rooted in DISCREDITING me , when i rely on my DATA POSTED HERE not
    me lol

So how about just go away ?
    Others are reading this and you are just annoying them and adding a lot of mess to the information with S P A M nonsense

If you believe things like

MAGIC CRYSTALS FROM HOGWARTZ ARE THE PROBLEM WITH NIMH, then take it up with the researcher that says dehydration is the problem, not me and not here

TAKING THE CELLS BELOW 6 VOLTS IS FINE AND BENEFICIAL then take it up with the entire nimh industry, panasonic and research scientists, that say otherwise, not me and not here

2. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a new link to the data, I just saw that when its a pdf google isnt showing the ACTVE sheet so I moved it to its own workbook

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRhg3ad1yQ6Btj5CgVl9sq9p2X9U8zYWFf-pWCbcbVncJGoW9q4Obo3x70iuy-glPtA5WlqDHnpaXVn/pub?output=pdf

a1.jpg

Here is how the SOURCE for modules listed above started out
    a2.jpg

#142 tracy ing, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  3. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never said what you do doesn't work, but drilling into modules isn't safe. What if the bit goes down too far and causes an internal short? The pack is going to swell up like a balloon and go ka-boom, or possibly catch on fire.

I doubt your hobby store epoxy is going to hold whatever rat turd plug you patch those dehydrated modules with, you DO realize the internal pressure can exceed 100PSI, right?

Know what is safer and much easier than dicking around with dehydrated modules, dealing with caustic potassium hydroxide (which I guess is as safe as water in your opinion, try it as mouthwash next time if you think it's so benign), potentially causing a fire/explosion, trying to replug a module with two part epoxy which I highly doubt will hold?

Buying another damn module....

Your "insertion" of 9Ah is also equally silly. The rated capacity of these modules are 6.5Ah. I limit my charging to 7.2Ah because I take mine below 6 volts which I believe requires a bit more of a charge to fully charge as ratings are made for a discharge to 6 volts.

If you are charging a total of 9AH above a rate of 1A, you are going to be cooking your batteries, which might explain why they need more water..

You are trying to put 10 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket by "inserting" 9Ah into a 6.5Ah module. Waste of time. Try putting 100Ah into a 65Ah car battery and let me know how well that works..

Then you have the brass to tell me that discharging below 6 volts is a waste of time, when YOU YOURSELF admitted "oh golly gee willikers it does release some hidden capacity, wonder where that came from?"

How I Recondition Cells | PriusChat

Then later on..blame me for "ruining a good module" when you repeated this process...and when I explicitly asked you WHAT CURRENT LOAD DID YOU USE?! It fell on deaf ears. You can NOT apply a high current discharge below 6 volts!

I am leaving this thread. I feel like I'm talking to a insane asylum patient with schizophrenia.

4. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tracy, keep doing what you're doing. This is highly educational and informative. I am , and probably many others are, learning a lot, thanks to you. Your methodology and explanations are very helpful. Ignore the armchair critics - some people are simply closed minded and that's it.

tracy ing likes this.
  5. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Amp Hours In
    Measurement of how many amp hours you inserted under charge
    Not enough the pack is undercharged
    Too much the pack is overcharged, heated, pressurize, vents

LIMITS
    My limit in my PROGRAMMABLE charger, do not EXCEED 9 amp hours in
    The data provided so far herein, average amp hour in 7.8749
    Range has been 6.276 to 8.544

Also from my data. CHARGE EFFICIENCY, how much was utilized towards increasing the charge potential of the battery, versus given off as a REQUIRED LOSS in all charging operations of any battery, including that lost as excess heat due to higher internal resistance and or heat
    The average CE has been 78%
    Range has been 75% to 81%

The capacity of a good module is 6.5 amp hours when drained with a 6.5 amp load down to 6 volts for one hour.
    Therefore, in a good cell, there must exist, 6.5 hours, from a previous charging operation

7.8749 times 78 percent is 6.14 amp hours of charge being placed into the module for use as discharge potential

The highest amp hour in was 8.544 with a CE of 73% resulting in a charge potential of 6.23 amp hours. well within the 6.5 factory stated capacity of a new module.

Contrary to any straw man posted herein, the 9 amp hour is A LIMITED PROGRAMMABLE SAFETY FEATURE to PREVENT MASSIVE OVERCHARGE ON UNATTENDED OPERATIONS and is also a GUIDE TO THOSE WITH LESSER EQUIPMENT TO BEWARE THE OVERCHARGE, LIMIT THE INPUT MANUALLY.

Hope that clears up yet ANOTHER STRAW MAN FALSE HOOD directed at discrediting the operations underway here.

9 AMP HOURS IN WITH A CE OF 78% IS 7.02 AMP HOURS

To those that assumed you are to do everything you can to force feed 9 amp hours into each cell, reading is fundamental.

P.S. Based on the VERY LIMITED SUBSET OF DATA HEREIN on just a very few cells, we see that since the max AH in was 8.544 one might want to adjust their limit down from 9 to 8.6. The only reason to adjust higher would be if your modules are shutting down DUE TO AH IN LIMIT versus REACHING END OF CHARGE.

Using the X1 Pro charger, it will tell you REACHED LIMIT which means it DID NOT reach valid end of charge. I assume other good chargers would do the same.

8.6 times 78 % 6.708 amp hours of potential, slightly over the factory max of 6.5

The original 9 amp hour limitation proscribed by me was arbitrary and capricious and based solely on my decades of experience in an effort to protect my modules from damage :)

We are currently AT THE END of a long process on these modules needing much more AH in than newly acquired or pulled modules that are just beginning the process

IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING on some new unknown modules, that probably have a lot less capacity, you will want to reduce this limit a lot by 50% or even more, 3 to 4.5 AH in. Until you establish their health and begin cycling them.

Question before it is posed lol
    IF the highest AH In only provided 6.23 amp hours of capacity (above) then how can your google sheet show 6.54 amp hours on one of the modules ????? huh ????? gotcha ???

Answer, I do not have laboratory certified equipment calibrated to the nuclear clock in Colorado operating in a hermetically sealed environment. I'm at home, one piece of electronic equipment provides one part of the data, a separate piece of electronic equipment provides the other. Send me $$$$ I will calibrate them together :) no i wont i will spend your money on taco bell

#145 tracy ing, Jul 29, 2022
    JohnPrius3005 likes this.
  6. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Discharging below 6 volts, is a faster way, to get the SAME benefit of CORRECTLY DISCHARGING TO 6 VOLTS USING LESSER AND LESSER LOAD.
    The 6 volt method, the correct and safe way, takes a lot of time, 2 to 3 hours
    It returns an average 13% increase in Amp Hours of capacity
    It is also within the operational metrics of the industry panasonic science and chemistry with regard to proper NIMH operations.
    The 3 volt method can not say the same.

7. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    batz.jpg

#148 tracy ing, Jul 29, 2022
  9. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is soooooo boring waiting on the next battery test result

TIME TO SPICE IT UP
    With another sideshow
    What is going to happen
    The plug is going to blow out ?
    The vent is going to vent, at some PSI ?

My vote, the plug blows out, i didnt glue it in yet, although I did tap and thread the plastic plug1.jpg

Or the case blows up releasing satan from his 1,000 year sleep.

10. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My vote, it will be very anti-climactic - if there really is eventually 100psi in the case (do we have a valid source for this?) the case and plug and vent will hold. It will be a little like a "slow leak" when you get a screw embedded in your tire. No blow out, no screw fired from the tire, just loss of pressure over a fairly lengthy period.

And, to add fuel to the fire (figuratively), my guess, without anything to source this from, is that you could drill right through the entire module, or even punch through it with a metal implement, without unleashing the fiery demons of hell!

tracy ing likes this.
  11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I found it and successfully downloaded it... Still haven't figure out where the chapter on NiMH is?

Also I appreciate your perspectives that aren't the standard ones because I'd rather learn more than be dismissive, especially challenging the commonly held notion since NiMH were first introduced to consumers in the 90's that they need periodic deep cycling/reconditioning.

Even messaged Professor Joe who teaches hybrid repair and EV technology in college and mentioned your point about there being no papers published about crystallization in aged NiMH only NiCad and he said what many other on here have said, which is: "Obviously the guy has no idea what he's talking about regarding the crystallization build up on the plates."

#151 PriusCamper, Jul 29, 2022
  12. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Combined "some" NiMH sections, there may be more. Searches for crystallization and recrystallization, show many instances.

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Alf... You're always so dang helpful!!!

14. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't imagine any book that costs $3,000 unless it's an antique. Heck, even all of my college textbooks didn't total close to $3,000.

15. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You probably haven't been in college for a long time... It's really bad these days! Never underestimate the corruption of capitalism when "higher learning" students can get loans without collateral or decent credit ratings and can never get out of the debt via bankruptcy. This link highlights plenty of text books that cost more than $500, some more than $1000: The Most Expensive College Textbooks - BookDeal

16. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    side show delayed to to massive storm

PriusCamper likes this.
  17. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

the way that 3,000 pages is arranged nimh is all over the place in it

PriusCamper likes this.
  18. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You typically won't see a memory effect, properly known as "lazy battery effect" in NiMH cells, when used in other devices that fully deplete and recharge the cells. For an example, Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA NiMH batteries.

The lazy battery effect is especially caused by constantly discharging to a non-depleted state of charge, and then charging to a level that is not the full SOC. The hybrid battery management system neither fully discharges or charges the batteries.

This may be the reason Toyota switched to Li-ion batteries around 2016, although I am not entirely sure for their reason.

PriusCamper, you might message Professor Joe and ask what exactly goes on inside a NiMH cell when subjected to multiple cycles of full discharging and charging.

Crystals or not, there is obviously something going on inside these cells chemically that restores capacity.

Also..I am not familiar with programming automotive computer modules, and I'm not sure if the BMS is "read only" or has something like an EEPROM, but it would be interesting to see if it's technically possible to write code to the BMS to fully discharge and charge the batteries, which would then not require any removal of the battery from the vehicle, and the ability to monitor everything from Techstream or Dr Prius.

19. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah Subaru and Honda nerds long ago figured out to hack and reverse engineer/reprogram code in auto computer modules but not enough Toyota nerds to do that for us at scale yet. Closest thing I've read of someone finally starting to figure some read-write functions out is the guy putting a Lexus engine in his plugin Prius over at: https://black.jmyntrn.com/ He's still in the early stages but feeling confident about it, so you might want to reach out to him?

20. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would be cool to drive a 1st gen Insight. Always wondered how it would be to drive a hybrid with a manual transmission.
    They also use only a 3cyl gas engine, and it's a coupe as well.
    I've heard as high as 70MPG if you drive it carefully.
    I could never figure out why Toyota never made a hybrid subcompact or coupe. They do make a Yaris Hybrid, but it's not available in the US.
    US seems allergic to city cars. Be neat if Toyota made something like a Ford Festiva looking hot hatch in a Hybrid.