1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How important is that last 20 minutes of charging?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by davidgro, Oct 26, 2018.

1. davidgro

davidgro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My commute to work happens to be about 25 miles, so I can usually do fully EV if I charge at work. I usually make a stop on the way back, close to home, where I can plug in to 120V for an hour or two, so I need even less energy to get back.

Charging at work is not free though, 50 cents an hour - so around over $1.10 to fully charge. And gas for 25 miles at 60 MPG (my experience) is around $1.25, so the EV charging is very close to the Not Worth It price.
    (I was cut off from just plugging into the 120V outlets :()

So, because I'm paying by the minute, and the car starts charging very slowly at the end, is it ok to just only charge it to the point that the power draw goes down and skip those last few miles of range? Is it doing some kind of battery conditioning or something that isn't ok to only do once per day?

#1 davidgro, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely. the less full you charge lithium the better. the software limits the charge rate because it would be detrimental to fast charge it all the way.
    that's why force charge only goes to 80%, better to just unplug early and go.

AAA and davidgro like this.