1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Important is Tire Pressure for MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sheepdog, May 18, 2008.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    good enough for me brother! I like to keep things simple!

I struggled thru an Elec engineering degree only to find out that the world does indeed run on simple rules for things! (and I have yet to have need of chasing a spark thru a circuit since graduation! Time differentials-yuk!)

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hey, I understand. I thought differential equations were challenging, and then I took physical chemistry. The simplicity of raisins in pudding was lovely to me, and then they pulled the rug out from under me. Even the "electron cloud" thing was just a weak metaphor. When it all went to theoretical mathematics, I decided it really wasn't that simple after all!

Still, I love it when I read an explanation that takes something truly remarkable and brings it within my reach.

3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Very well put Tony! I would also add that if someone reports the results of their practices over multiple miles(18K+ in my case) that it's pointless to say that said practices don't work when the evidence shows otherwise. Just for the record, I have been running 70+psi since last October and no less than 60psi in my stock Integrity's since I bought the car last May 19th. As Tony mentioned above, this is my opinion and not necessarily my suggestion.
    Edit: I've had no flats or uneven wear.

4. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Checked my tire pressures today. Dealer had set 37/35. Car is one week old. Mileage is about 48 mpg first 100 miles in mixed driving.
    The tires are the narrow 65 Integrity. A 60 tire would probably corner better. I'm thinking about a Goodyear swap for the Assurance or Eagle GT-HR. Any experiences out there?

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    pretty much everyone that trades seems to like either the Nokians or the Michelin's

6. racerbob

racerbob Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    PriusSport, Assurance Triple Treds are awesome wet weather tires. They were rated at the top of a Consumer Report tire test. I love mine. Did seem to take a 2MPG hit over the stock Integrity at the same inflation pressure. They are not available in stock size for the 15"

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm running a tad higher then that and its hard for me to not push the upper 60's to 70 MPG's (50fr 48 rear) The wife is getting about 53 MPG for her trips to school where she confesses that she drives about 75 MPH+ most of the way.

8. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The wife has the Eagle GT-HR's on her Beetle. My experience with them are that they are an excellent snow and excellent wet handling tire. As far as Dry conditions I've seen better, but they still perform above average. Oh I almost forgot they have one of the toughest and best looking tread patterns I've ever seen. Adds a bit of toughness to the look of that Beetle.

9. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am now at 42\40 and havent noticed any harshness or other differences. We will see it mpg changes.