1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How is Prius pronounced?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Taylor, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Well you should know this, it's basic English! The latter is the correct form. "My Prius' mpg is..."
    Correct.
    Also correct.
    Definitely incorrect.
    Correct.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

An uncommon pronunciation, usually associated with extremely tight underwear.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Genius. That's written in the Canadian brochure for the 2001-2003 Prius. So I guess they do want it to be pronounced pree-us.

Also, pree-us closely follows the japanese pronouciation of Prius anyway

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would add one small thing Prius is a Latin adjective but English as a language is famous for first adopting foreign words then adapting them to English usage. This includes converting verbs to nouns and vis versa or for that mater another part of speech.

5. jeepien

jeepien Member

Since the last native speaker of Latin went to his final reward nearly two millennia before the invention of the tape recorder, the assertion that there is only one correct way to pronounce a Latin word is, shall we say, difficult to support.

The further claim that someone in 2005 actually knows what THE correct pronunciation was for any given Latin word is nothing less than astounding.

And dumb.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is this correct?. . .

antidispriustalishmentarianism

Granted, I wouldn't know where to begin figuring out what it means.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just like fish and fishes are both correct, so to do I believe Priuses and Prii both work for the plural form. If you are personally bent out of shape over the use of Prii . . . just consider it the cutesy - i.e. fishies - form of the word.

But more importantly, when it comes to what to call a group of (our cars) -
    like a herd of cows, a flock of seagulls, or a doof of Democrats :p -

I think a group of Prius cars in one area should be called a Prissy. :wink:

8. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

There are many people in the world who learned Latin and there are many books that teach it. All of them agree on pronunciation. Latin books always have a pronunciation guide at the beginning, and it is this that I am using to determine the pronunciation of 'Prius'.

Plus it's inaccurate to say Latin is dead. People never stopped speaking or (more commonly) reading/writing Latin, they just stopped using it as their primary language. No one had audio recording devices back then, but they can still teach others pronunciation orally, passing down the knowledge. Anyway I doubt something Latin texts agree on is baseless.

Plus Latin didn't disappear, it evolved, into French, Spanish, and Italian. French and Italian seem to bear the closest resemblance to Latin pronunciation.

9. jeepien

jeepien Member

There are at least three major variations of Latin pronunciation in common use today, Classical, Liturgical, and Anglo-Latin. To that I would add "Legal" which probably murders the language more than any of the others.

I never said it was dead, I said it hadn't had any native speakers in many centuries. Without native speakers, everyone is speaking Latin with an accent. Besides, as you say, many more people wrote and read Latin through the years than spoke it. But reading and writing have nothing to do with pronunciation at all, so you're weakening your own case.

All of which are pronounced differently.

10. fred

fred New Member

and of course the proper dignified and polictically correct pronunciation is pree-us as in free us. you know kinda a like " oh freedom, oh, oh freedom etc etc. at this point i need a latin scholar preferably a preist who can conjugate and give the official latin plural for prius which as all prii folks know translates to to go before. i shall now conclude my lecture for the day and thank you very much 8) 8)