1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How is the 2022 model?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Lynn Goldhammer, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Lynn Goldhammer

Lynn Goldhammer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’m still driving my 2007 Prius - 235k miles. Love this car - it’s never left me stranded!

got some expensive repairs coming up, and my mechanic recommended exploring other options.

how is the 2022? There’s no 2023’s in my area yet, but it was recommended to skip these for a few years due to major changes - that the bugs should get worked out for the next 2-3 years…

I love the visibility in my car and the feeling of roominess I’m not seeing/feeling in similar makes/models…

Any thoughts on the quality/performance of the 2022?

thanks!
    Lynn

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota doesn't have too many first year bugs. 23 won't be available until next year.

22's are great, if you can find one!

and you'll pay top dollar :(

Lynn Goldhammer and ukulelegeek like this.
  3. ukulelegeek

ukulelegeek Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My bestie owns a 2022. She's had several Toyotas and a Lexus. She swears the 2022 is the best car she's ever owned. I've ridden in it 3X, and I find it smoother and more powerful than my 2010. It still gets hot in the rear seats in the summer. Her gas mileage is awesome, usually around 60 mpg.

Tande and Lynn Goldhammer like this.
  4. Lynn Goldhammer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you! Looking around used vehicles are too dollar too…. And when I see a 2022 they don’t seem to have the $25k base model - an additional $5-7k in extras….

glad to hear it’s a good car!

ukulelegeek and bisco like this.
  5. Lynn Goldhammer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for that info! Hope I can find one!

ukulelegeek likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why i'm hoping to keep mine running until the madness ends

Lynn Goldhammer and Tande like this.
  7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I, along with many others, bought the 2016 Gen 4 Prius Hybrid during the product launch year, and never had any issue with quality control or other bugs. Nothing but routine maintenance since new. Toyotas, and Japanese brands in general, are very well sorted compared to other brands. I would not hesitate to buy the 2023 launch model.

8. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Same here with my 2017 model, it has been faultless from day one and only visits Toyota one a year for service and MOT.

If we were getting the MK5 in the UK I would order it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately we are not :(

Lynn Goldhammer likes this.
  9. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I have the’22 XLE and I’m really happy with it. As far as waiting, I’ll only say that in the months I have been on this chat I have noticed several items that were changed in the later Gen 4’s that means I shouldn’t experience some significant problems that were present in some 2016 through 2019’s and beyond. I wouldn’t buy a new version until a few years have passed.

10. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have two Gen 4's...2017 LE and 2021 AWD LE. We love them and have had zero major issues...no water pump leaks, no head gasket issues, no coolant leaks on the heat exchange. The only issue I've seen on both is with the rear hatch struts....they seem to go weak after a couple years so replaced with some from Amazon which fixed it. (One of the very rare times a Chicom-made part is better than OEM.)
    The 2017's tires, Toyo Nanoenergy, went pretty bald at just 24,000 so I won't be buying those, again. I replaced with General Altimax which are rated for 65,000 so we'll see. (She only has 30,000 miles at this point and I see no wear, yet.)
    Best of luck.....hybrids, these days, are being snatched up pretty quick and folks are charging WAY too much, IMHO.

Lynn Goldhammer and ukulelegeek like this.
  11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You, though, are like me: preventive maintenance prevents a multitude of problems (things like changing the oil and the coolants based on conditions not miles, etc.) :)

ColoradoBoo and ukulelegeek like this.
  12. Lynn Goldhammer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks everyone for your inputs!

I’d put on a Toyota site what I was looking for - a new 2022. Got contacted by 2 dealerships that they had ones coming in. The first one wasn’t going to be available til 12/28 or so. Was gonna go for it then lights came on - brakes, abs, vsc and !. I called my mechanics and they said I could still drive it. When I mentioned a long drive expected for the holidays they didn’t think that was wise. So I was going to rent a car for the trip. Then another dealer contacted me that they could get me the new car - by today or Monday. And, with the moonstone interior instead of black on the other one. Living in the south I didn’t want dark interior or exterior.

hated to not give the first fella the biz…. Meanwhile the second fella really worked for it. I don’t think the car was intended to go to that dealership - they worked it throughout the day and got it to happen. I’m very fortunate.

but gotta say, I think I’ll cry when my 2007 leaves me. That’s embarrassing and silly! It’s been the best car I’ve ever had. 15 years and 235,000 miles and it’s never left me stranded. We’ve seen a lot of states and national parks together. Even looked at some other makes of vehicles but just wanted to stick with Toyota.

oh - BTW - this second dealership was about $1200 cheaper AND $1500 trade-in which other dealerships were only offering $500. Was gonna try to sell it myself but I’m game for $1500 and no hassles!

thank you all for your thoughts and experiences. Nice to have support through major purchases!!!

Lynn

Doug McC likes this.
  13. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Congrats!
    (y)
    What color and trim?

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    what specifically? The brake booster components?

15. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I installed nano ceramic tint on my glass to get rid of the rear seat heating issue. Great upgrade and your rear passengers won't bake back there.

16. Lynn Goldhammer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Seaglass exterior and Moonstone interior…

I don’t know about any other trim stuff - haven’t seen it yet and they didn’t mention….

My current one is the light green one - I wanted that color because it was different and I could find it in parking lots…. Sounds like the seaglass is sort of light blue and sometimes looks green depending on the light…. I wanted that or white - the lighter colors look bigger…

17. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice color!
    (y)

18. orangecones

orangecones Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since we're talking first year defects with Gen 4 --

Have an early early 2016 and my car has basically every single common issue of the early cars. I should play the lottery. That said, they are all fairly minor problems, and none of them are mechanical in nature.

But anyway, the list :
    • Prone to windshields cracking (through 2018, I believe something was redesigned on the refresh to alleviate this). Bought my car used, it already had an aftermarket windshield in place. Cost me wiper defrosters that the original windshield had built in, now I just have a pointless button.
    • Peeling of the plastic rear quarter panels.
    • Some cloudiness on tail lights. It's not a broken seal or condensation or anything, just the clear plastic shell has a few splotches of not so clear. It won't spread or get worse, just a manufacturing defect in how it was molded.
    • Cracking on the top back side of the steering wheel due to sun.
    My family has owned a number of first year cars over the years, none of them have been particularly bad, or at least "worse" for being the 1st year, so I wouldn't be too concerned about skipping the 23 Prius for fear of first year gremlins.

19. Lynn Goldhammer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Seems to be the brake actuator assembly.

the local rip off dealership quoted me $2k for parts and $1k labor. Seems parts may be closer to $1200.

if I was handy-dandy I’d fix it and keep it. My concern is I may be approaching that point where more work will be needed. So, replacing it.

It’s been a good run - 15 years and 235,000 miles. Just thinking it’s time as a non-techy to move on…

looked around at other cars but this one has been so darn good I’m getting another. I’m sold on Toyota! ❤️

Billy56 and bisco like this.