1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How is Toyota going to Top Themselves for Gen V?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by inferno, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's available but it's a two-step process

1. You have to enable "Split Screen" for the main display (the one with the speedo)
    2. Then cycle through the options to get to the instant FE gauge (see Mendel's post above with the screenshot of the owner's manual)

You enable Split Screen in the Settings menu on the MID.

Then you press left or right on the right-side D-pad until you get to the main display (speedo). There's only 3 possibilities - Battery level, HSI and Instant Fuel Consumption w/ Average fuel consumption (tiny yellow arrow).

There is a new section that you can enable in the Settings menu to change the main display (the one with the speedo) from "Simple" to "Split Screen". This allows you to bring in one of the three options that you see in the manual. It's separate from the MID where you can display the full HSI, radio, nav/compass, Energy Monitor, Consumption Screen, Eco Diary and Trip Summary. This allows you to keep iFE or HSI next to the speedo and use the MID for something else.

jbkendrick and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it truly instantaneous, or 3 second delay?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW: ScanGauge has a one or two second delay, but still: it's delayed instantaneous, if that makes any sense.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it does, but i thought no delay. that just means your brain/foot is reacting to something that happened in the past.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Story of my life, lol.

apt49 likes this.
  6. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I understand and have had to rely on the real time mpg in previous cars to assist in getting the best mpg, however, that technique is kind of old school, and actually, in my opinion, counter productive.

With the data provided by Prius in the mid, I really have only two goals. 1) drive in EV mode as often as possible, and 2) proactively keep the battery charged. And I really work to make sure I don't upset other drivers, so I stay at or above the speed limit all of the time.

Here's why realtime mpg would be counterproductive. When I am leaving a light or stop sign, or encountering an uphill incline, I accelerate at a higher rate than I normally would, often driving the mid into the power end of the scale. My goal is to get back up to speed as quickly as possible, and then let off the accelerator, wait for the EV light to go on and then keep my acceleration at a minimum to stay in the EV as long as possible. If I were looking at realtime mpg, I would never do that because it would be showing me atrocious mpg numbers. I can keep EV going, even travelling at 60+ mph, so I am travelling in all electric much more than I ever thought possible in an HEV. The other side of the coin is keeping the battery charge up, so I look for opportunities to get it back up when it needs it, accelerating more than necessary sometimes to add some charge, and of course making use of downhill glides. I have also learned on this forum that it is important to stay above the dotted lines on the battery meter when decelerating to a stop whenever possible. This maximizes regenerative charging and minimizes use of friction brakes.

I have included a mid display with explanations for what I watch to get great mpg. I think the important element here is look at my acceleration score, which most would say is not very good. But I'm getting great mpg, and though I am accelerating at a higher rate than I normally would, I'm doing it with a purpose to achieve best mpg on my trip, my fill up and my lifetime mpg. And to be honest, if I use this data, I don't even need to pay attention to my average mpg at all until the end of the trip. Hope this can help in some way. J

View attachment 114788 [/QUOTE]

Hi I would like to request from you to authorise me posting your photo on a facebook page related to prius. I will use it in a way not to harm anybody.

--EDIT: to be more specific and avoid any confusion, My request does not intended for your avatar photo! I want only to use your attachment that shows the fuel economy driving instructions to get high mpg out of the prius.

#46 apt49, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have a prius?

apt49 likes this.
  8. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No I haven't.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, it sounds like you're driving one.(y)

apt49 likes this.
  10. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wish I had the money to buy one.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you seem to know more than many owners, i was wondering why your avatar said 'other hybrid'.:)

12. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    It only shows numerically 25 mpg increments! 25/50/75/100....Which is kinda silly. I would much prefer it to go up in 10's on the digital vertical pole thingy. Oh well...

I guess you could always swap over to the big screen under ECO and track you Minuit by Minuit mpg's for a fairly accurate assessment although that would not be instantaneous.

bisco likes this.
  13. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, I own a 1999 3-door corolla. I am a fan of prius since the NHW10 prius. I became a fan thanks to a great guy who is also a member on PC. He signs up witn a name John1701a. He has an amazing site there John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more and I am grateful to him for what I have learned about prius.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I would like to request from you to authorise me posting your photo on a facebook page related to prius. I will use it in a way not to harm anybody.

--EDIT: to be more specific and avoid any confusion, My request does not intended for your avatar photo! I want only to use your attachment that shows the fuel economy driving instructions to get high mpg out of the prius.[/QUOTE]
    You should be able to upload a photo after 5 posts.

apt49 likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh no! tide got a duplicate post!:p

16. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You should be able to upload a photo after 5 posts.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you, Tideland Prius. If you imply that I should post a photo from the facebook page where I want to use jbkendrick's attachment, I have no problem with that. It is just not an english language FB page.

17. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm ok with using the photo. J

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

apt49 likes this.
  18. apt49

apt49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thank you jbkendrick. I appreciate your reply.
    I posted the photo on a european Toyota twitter account and I just underscored the data shown on the photo. Thank you.

19. Pijoto

Pijoto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From my observations from a Gen 3, I'd definitely like to see a bigger battery that'll last longer for those bumper to bumper sections during rush hour, because the engine turning on at a standstill is terrible for MPG. Also, stronger electric motors that doesn't need to be babied to avoid turning on the gas motor would be so much better for the stop and go of rush hour too.