1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How is your SoftTex holding up?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusPeach, Feb 29, 2012.

1. PriusPeach

PriusPeach New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just took delivery of my 2012 IV with SofTex seats. This fabric is billed as "durable" but I am skeptical. I have two kids and 3 dogs (already read the SofTex dog post), and I am paranoid that we are going to scratch, puncture, and otherwise annihilate this interior.
    :confused:
    If you have this "leather" interior can you let me know how it is holding up for you?

Thanks!

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's so new, I can't imagine anyone has too long a period for evaluation. Didn't it just become available on all 2012's?

Get a better idea in a couple of months...or even a year.

However if you have 2 kids and 3 dogs? You might just need something that goes beyond "durable", to some Comic Book magical material.

It's your review of Softex, that I'd like to hear in a couple of months.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, softex is new for 2012 so durability tests really will not be out there yet...

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't most people with kids opt for leather/vinyl rather than cloth as they're much easier to clean up?

5. sharol46

sharol46 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I read somewhere that the softex had been used on other Toyota models prior to using it in the Prius, but I can't find the post.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2012 Prius, Prius v and 2012 Camry are the first to use SofTex.

7. Hoosier1

Hoosier1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just purchased a 2012 with SofTex seats. Within 24 hours of taking delivery, I visited the dealer's service department to have an accessory installed. The dealership does not cover the drivers seat during service. When the car was ready, I noticed a puncture in the driver's seat. The SA said this type of event had never happened before. I was extremely upset, and they offered to replace the seat. Who in their right mind would want a new car that needs a seat replacement, as it's very likely that a host of other problems would be experienced if they remove and reinstall another seat.

After taking my case up the ladder, they agreed to let me take delivery on another Prius. After all, it was a new car, and the miles on the car was basically a test drive.

It appears that owners willl need to treat this new material with kid gloves. I see problems forthcoming with the use of this material. While it feels very soft and comfortable, I believe a human fingernail could easily damage the material.

8. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Whatever punctured your seat most likely would have punctured real leather too. Faux leather materials have been used for ages and they keep getting better. In fact they usually wear better than leather. No stretching, cracking, etc. I suggest you relax... I'm sure it's fine.

9. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Mercedes has been using MBTex for 25 years or so.... Is the material similar?

- Bill -

2010 Toyota Prius V w/ATP (8/10 build) - Barcelona Red w/Dark Gray Leather

iPad ?

10. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you select a '12 with Softex is the added cost the same as if you select leather in an '11?

11. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine are holding up really well so far, but I put a towel down on the softex before the dog gets in. I'm just not ready to have dog hair and dirt all over my new seats.

1 person likes this.
  12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just because a technician was careless enough to puncture it with their tool doesn't make it fragile.

13. Hoosier1

Hoosier1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The cost is the same or higher. I had leatherette in my first BMW, and it still looked new after almost four years. As d2mini suggests, whatever punctured the seat could have likely happened to leather, and I don't know what caused the damage.

Hopefully this new material will stand the test of time. Toyota has a patent on the material and is using it across several model lines. This forum will be useful in determining if the material is fragile.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A good idea if you have to bring your car in for service, put on some heavy seat covers before you leave home just in case some meathead mechanic is dirty or otherwise carrying tools in their pockets.

Mike

15. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure Toyota tested the material thoroughly, a sharp tool would have gone through leather and cloth the same way! However, I do like the smell and feel of a high quality leather interior, hopefully that could also be a premium option in the future with softex being a mid grade option?

16. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm very surprised the dealer drew up new paper work and corrected their inventory just to give you an entirely different Prius because of a rip in the seat. I guess what ever dealer you went to really wanted you to be happy! That's a good thing.

17. Brett.

Brett. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another thought, Toyota most likely chose to go with Soft-tex over leather to avoid the radicals starting a war about how our eco-friendly vehicles are somehow linked to the senseless animal cruelty that is displayed in such publications as the PETA videos.

Leather is a great option, just not for the buyers of Prius.

This of course, is merely an educated guess based on all prior attacks of Prius.

"If you don't like mosquitos, stay out of the marsh."

18. Dog Face

Dog Face New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I heard that the softex weighs a lot less than leather, so it's another move to improve mileage.

19. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Time will tell if it holds up better than the leather/vinyl interiors of former priuses. That being said, it sure FEELS a lot better than the leather used before. I hated the feel of the old "leather" seats with the utilitarian shoe leather and sticky vinyl. The softex feels wonderful!

20. shawnsprius

shawnsprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I must say I am glad i got a 2011 IV with leather.. that "softex" or whatever fancy name they have for vinyl is the thinnest cheapest material i have ever seen in a vehicle.
    They put that in the Lexus CT as well... it was a complete turn off for me.
    but good luck with it.. i think a dogs nail may poke right through that stuff.. be careful

1 person likes this.