1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long after "Add Fuel" alert?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Mar 9, 2006.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would encourage a false sense of security, and it's one more thing to break.

2. lazarus

lazarus New Member

I fillup when I have 2 pips left. I think about 2 UK gallons. Must be good for 100 miles.
    Better safe than sorry. Still get about 420 miles before 2 pips.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I fill up at two bars/pips..
    LOL I dont wait for the flash..

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Words to think about...should, if, common sense, assume....

Don't push it, go get gas. There are some places that you don't want to have to walk through to get gas. Plus it defeats one purpose of having the Prius to start with...saving time.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"The old VW Bug did have a lever under the dash that would allow access to about a liter of fuel. Unfortunately if you failed to turn the lever back when you got fuel you would really be empty the next time.

Don't know what year it was discontinued. "

Late 1961 in the Bugs, 1962 on Buses.

6. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just to reiterate as others have said, the bladder is not the typical tank. In over 60 tanks, I have never put in 11.9 gallons. The most was 11.728 when I did actually run out of gas. I do only fill-up till the first click though.

7. 1playwonder

1playwonder Junior Member

Thanks to this board I have never ran out of gas. Once I notice the gauge move from 2 pips to 1 I think to myself "How many more miles can I actually go?" Then my thoughts always turn to the overwhelming opinions of this board.....don't be greedy, just fill it up!!!!! Thanks for keeping me level -headed and not greedy for more miles :)

8. jonabbey

jonabbey New Member

The first time I went to fill up my Prius, it only took 8 gallons or so, despite being on the last pip.

After driving 127 miles, and being down nearly to the half way mark, I went to the gas station again and added another 6 gallons to it.

My hypothesis is that the bladder contracts as the tank empties, and the force of gravity may not be enough to expand the bladder fast enough when fueling to avoid the pump clicking off. By going back and refilling it when I should have only used about 3 gallons of my last refueling, I was filling it up with the bladder in an enlarged state, and it let me get it closer to the true capacity of the tank.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some of my former coworkers have owned trucks which had two gas tanks. If you ran one out, you could switch over to the other.

I don't wanna chance it by running out of gas. For me, if I hit two pips, I'm gonna go get gas soon and if I ever get down to one, I'm gonna get at least a few gallons pronto no matter how much the station charges. Remember 'E' does not mean enough.

10. new prius owner

new prius owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I know this was a 2006 answer, but it's a classic and the funniest one I have read!!

11. Calle

Calle New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a good discussion! I have driven into the blinking state AT LEAST 100-200 times in the 190,000 miles of Prius driving over the last 6 years. I always hit the TRIP ODO buttong when the warning comes on, and I am always able to go at LEAST 60 miles safely. I have gone as far as 100 miles after the warning, and the absolute earliest it has ever run out is 40 miles, and that was because I was on a very steep uphill. Typically, when the warning comes on you have about 2.5 gallons left. You will notice that the light will often come on when going uphill. I bet you that 90% of people who claim to have run out of gas after a mile or so, have been going up a very steep hill when this happens. I guarantee you that if you are on flat ground, you will be able to go at least 60 miles.

1 person likes this.
  12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And if it doesn't he'll pay for the tow :_>