1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long can I go once I have reached empty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by master4g, Jul 8, 2010.

1. master4g

master4g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I understand the gas tank is supposed to be 11 gal or something but I am only able to full up 9 max. My question is weather I have more gas I'm the tank than the meter shows or is the tank not filling up all the way when the pump stops

SPH-M900 ?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should not assume that you have more fuel than the amount that you pumped. You actually might have 11.9 gallons available, or you might have 9.1 gallons. No one knows.

Unless you enjoy the drama associated with running out of gas, it's best to assume that you only have 9 gallons (or even less, in the event the pump overstated the volume that was pumped) available to you, assuming that is the amount you pumped.

After the pump clicks off, you can pump more fuel in, but you risk another sort of drama - that the emissions control on the fuel tank (such as the charcoal canister) will be damaged with excess fuel. I usually will pump another 1/2 gallon or so after the pump clicks off, to bring the amount billed up to the next full dollar.

I also keep an eye on the mpg and elapsed miles traveled as per the MFD, as this provides me with an indication of the amount of fuel that should be pumped. For example if the elapsed miles is 300 and the mpg shows 50, then I know that I should pump at least six gallons before calling it a day.

2 people like this.
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Gen II fuel tank has in internal bladder that consumes some of the 11.9 gallons of gross capacity. Generally it will hold between 10 and 11 gallons of usable fuel, but you can never know for sure until you run out.

Tom

4. pviebey

pviebey New Member

You WILL run out of gas. Plan on it.

Don't tempt yourself. Been there, done that, waited for gas.

PS: When you do, don't run the HV battery down or you'll really be toast and in for an expensive dealer visit.

I fill up as soon as that last block starts flashing. Better safe than ummm stranded!

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My minimum range once the blinking started was 7 miles. My max is about 30 miles. (I did not run dry)

My new attitude is that I should never wait until it blinks, I gas up at 400 miles.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    once you reach empty, you can go as far as the nearest gas station. (walking of course)

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then how did you determine your range after the blinking started?

This short range compared to my VW TDI is one of my minor annoyances with the Prius. 700 mile range was easy. It meant I could drive all day and not have to mess with fuel when I stopped to rest or eat.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did run dry in 7 miles, but another time I went 30 and didn't.

I take a drug called lasix, which ensures I never exceed 400 miles without stopping, anyways.

Lasix Information from Drugs.com

9. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah! Mandatory potty break. Took me a while...

10. Old Drum

Old Drum New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the first long trip I did with the Prius, I discovered that driving 300 miles without a break is not good.

I now realize why interstates have all those rest stops and I will soon begin to learn which are the bests.

11. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Iv gone 50 on the last PIP

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the plus side, it's a lot easier to find gas than diesel.:)

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends. How far do you want to walk? :huh:

Seriously, I dated a guy like this - he'd take off on long car trips with the gauge on E, and never think about it. Drove me nuts. Why not just fill the dang thing up?

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heh. E does not mean enough. :)

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    on my 2006, i have gone as much as 130 miles more or less after the last bar started blinking. general consensus says you have about 12% of a tank left when this happens.

common sense says getting gas is a hassle (for me a necessary evil "nearly" every month!!) but it needs to be done. do it when its the most convenient for you. be it on your way to work, coming home or if you if you rather, on your day off or a early Sunday evening so you can beat the rush.

as for me, i have long since stopped looking at that blinking bar. i go by the mileage on the tank being used. i reset Trip A on every tank so i know how far i have traveled. i use the "10 gallons" rule which says that if i am averaging 50 mpg, i can go 500 miles give or take (give 30 miles in summer, take 30 miles in winter)

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That depends on where you live, in the West it's generally easy to find. 5 of the 8 gas stations in the small city I live in have it. Most freeway off ramps with gas stations will have it in at least one, often all of the stations.

Out in the sticks it's even easier to find.

I would still rather deal with gasoline though

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have it on the highways, (for truckers i suppose) but when i had my 300SD, i had a coupla close calls!:eek: