1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long can it sit?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Charlie Sleczkowski, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Charlie Sleczkowski

Charlie Sleczkowski New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a new Prius (2013) and wondered just how long it can sit in the garage without driving before it affects the battery? We travel and heard that the battery will drain if we let it sit for a week? Is this possible?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the hybrid battery is fine long term. it's the 12 volt you have to worry about. the best course is to research trickle chargers here and connect one while you're away. the problem is, there's no way to know how healthy the battery is. just because the car is new, doesn't mean the dealer didn't run it down a few times before you bought it. these tiny batteries don't take well to that sort of abuse. i have left mine for six weeks in unheated garage with no problem, but you have to ask yourself, 'do i feel lucky'?

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For a week?

If your battery dies because your car sat in the garage for a week, you didn't cause a problem, you detected a problem!

The aux (12v) battery is obscenely weak in the Prius, but you should be fine in the garage for a few weeks at a stretch if you shut the car down properly and don't leave the key fob in or near the car.
    If you're concerned about this, then look into replacing the OEM aux battery with an upgraded aftermarket (Optima) battery.

Then?
    Don't worry about it any more. :)

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you're worried, get a "Battery Tender" or a "Battery Minder". They are designed to be connected to a 12V lead-acid battery for 6 months at a time, for use in things like ATVs and motorcycles. You can install the included "pigtail" so you just connect a connector or you can pop off the front fusebox cover, flip up the "boost point" plastic protector, and connect a clip lead to the boost point and chassis.

Pearl S is hibernating in the garage, with a "Battery Tender" connected to her. She has trouble getting over the 18" and larger snow windrows our wonderful city leaves everywhere. So I drive "Bruiser", an FJ Cruiser, in winter, trying to use up all that surplus gasoline we have.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My impression is Gen3 is much less 12v battery drain than Gen2 (older pre-2010 Gen2 we have a SKS switch under the steering wheel which should be turned off for sitting car long periods). So I am thinking a week or two is OK in Gen3 but some would opt to manage the 12v battery as a precaution.

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I pretty regularly go 1-2 weeks with no issues, and occasionally longer (3+ weeks). I think my parents went about 7 weeks with no problem. If it dies in less than a month or so, there might be something wrong (weak 12V battery, a key stored near the car, etc.).

7. Charlie Sleczkowski

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your timely reply. This was helpful.

8. Charlie Sleczkowski

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, for your help especially the key stored nearby. Happy holidays!

9. Charlie Sleczkowski

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your reply. This was most helpful. I don't intend to stay away for a week, but one never knows.

10. Charlie Sleczkowski

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good answer and very helpful. I feel way better!

11. Charlie Sleczkowski

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds about right. One would think that each generation would be improved. Thank you for the help.

12. Charlie Sleczkowski

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting how one adapts to climates. Having "Bruiser" must help in the big snows, etc. Thank you for your information regarding the boost point, etc. I will keep this in mind and discuss it the next time I'm at the dealer. Happy holidays and stay warm!

13. Charlie Sleczkowski

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your most helpful answer. We'll see if there is a problem. Until then, we don't have a problem until we have a problem!

14. marchummel

marchummel New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2011 Prius. I routinely leave my car parked for 3–4 weeks. Just left it for 4 weeks and it started up fine, even in 30ºF weather. I also have a Metromile receiver plugged into the OBD port, which I assume drains the battery further.

15. marchummel

marchummel New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    2011 Prius. I routinely leave my car parked for 3–4 weeks. Just left it for 4 weeks and it started up fine, even in 30ºF weather. I also have a Metromile receiver plugged into the OBD port, which I assume drains the battery further.

douglasjre and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you said that already.:cool:

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure just how long it can sit. I know this, I parked ours for 6 months. Expected it to be dead. Fired right up. Wife said she started it a few times during that period, but never drove it. And that is the truth. Look at my fuelly records, you will see a area during winter to summer of 2015 where no fuel was added. That is the time I am speaking of.

markabele likes this.
  18. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just returned from a six-week absence and my 2017 Prius Prime is dead. Happened one other time, I forget how long it sat then. I have a trickle charger which I guess I will be using from now on.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah there's two camps of opinion above. My take: if the car is not going to be driven that day, on goes the charger, in my case a CTEK 4.3. I installed a quick connect (came with the charger) to make it easier. Maybe overkill, but I don't care.

20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Connecting the EVSE for a long while after you got back didn't allow it to trickle charge back up to a usable level? Or will it not even accept a charge if the 12v is dead?