1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long did it take for you to get your 5thGEN Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by David Chislett, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Put my name in with Rhinelander Toyota in May of 2022. Got an allocation March 3rd, 2023. Car was delivered June 21st (took longer due to QC hold).

2. Perpetual Waffle

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    (Double post, oops)

3. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I joined several lists in May, only one required a deposit. In August a local dealer had two "rejects" (customer backed out). I was there within 15 mins and one had already sold and I snagged the second! Not precisely what I wanted but close enough I'm not complaining! For the dealer wanting the deposit, they were OK with a refund after 8 weeks and the car showed up elsewhere after that 8 weeks, so just called and said "never mind" and got my refund back. I didn't add insult to injury explaining why I asked for the refund! :)

will

daisy555 likes this.
  4. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    8 months January 2023-August 2023. The one I ended up with was not my preferred trim or color but I love it now. Settled on a $1500 markup to not have to wait longer

5. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    David Mk.2: Yea, while not officially a markup, it was just a bit more on my end for non-optional "dealer options". The crazy one was a rather expensive 3-year rust protection warrantee. What Toyota is going to have any rust within 3 years??!! I even tried to offer just a flatout markup for less, but they didn't go for it.

will

rampante550 likes this.
  6. Wind23

Wind23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ordered May 2022, got allocation July 2023, and got the car Sept 2023, this is Ontario Canada

7. FarTraveler

FarTraveler New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    It took me a month and a few weeks to get mine. It was in late August that I wanted to get a new Prius Prime so I called a bunch of dealerships. I spoke to a fellow at the dealership in Morristown NJ and was told of a black Prius Prime that had just been built and was being shipped over from Japan. The car had to go through customs and had to be processed which takes time so I was told in September or early October it should arrive, so I put down a deposit to reserve the car. I got the car just last Thursday. I could've gotten it on Monday as it had arrived by then but my funds were not ready so I had to wait until Thursday.

Prius Primes go really quickly. Speaking from my own experience if you see such a car at a dealership it won't be there for long, might be gone on the very day it arrives. If you want such a car your best bet, based on my experience, is to call a bunch of dealerships and see if they have any such cars in stock or if such cars are arriving, and when you find such a car to reserve it ASAP.

8. FarTraveler

FarTraveler New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Maybe you should go to a dealership outside of Boston, if you really want a Prius Prime.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have. How far would I have to go?
    Do you know of one sitting on a lot?

10. FarTraveler

FarTraveler New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I would use the Toyota locator which can be found at Toyota's website. With that, you can enter a city and state and it will give you all the Toyota dealerships in the area. You can enter any city and state that's at a distance you're willing to go to. You can then call each dealership and ask if they have any 5th Gen Priuses in the lot or if they have any that are on the way. If they have one in the lot you can of course go there and buy it. If they have one on the way you can put down a deposit to reserve it so that they will hold it for you when it does come in.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, that's too much trouble, i don't want one that badly. i've scoured the northeast already. none available in stock, and everone is quoting a year if you place an order

rampante550 likes this.
  12. Ngenovesi

Ngenovesi Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Reserved mine September 11, 2023. Picked it up October 21, 2023
    Prius Prime Premium I couldn’t believe how quick I got it. This car is awesome. Had to drive 270 miles to get it.

bisco, HacksawMark and rampante550 like this.
  13. Ngenovesi

Ngenovesi Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  14. David Chislett

David Chislett New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Jealous of a lot of you all ... as mentioned when I started the thread, I placed my order in October 2022, was told 1 year, it is now November 2023 (1 year 2 months) and was told once it gets allocated which hasn't happened yet, it'll be another 2 months.

I am in Nova Scotia Canada.

My order is top trim Prius Prime, Yellow in color, they told me it doesnt matter where I am on the list, as its not a true indicator, as it goes by what color etc they get. I mentioned yellow is probably why its taking so long, and he said he doesnt think so.

Unrelated to that, I did spot a white Prius drive by last weekend.... and I loved the color. Its like not your typical white, now im on the fence if I should change my order to White instead of Yellow before its to late haha... thoughts? Those or you who got white, are you happy with it? Was white your #1 choice? Thx

15. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    White is phenomenal! Looks silver-ish in the right light. I would change your order to EITHER white or yellow. You'll be happy in both. Might get a car sooner.

16. converseguy

converseguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I put $1000.00 down to reserve a 2023 Prius on June 7. I specified that I wanted a Prius Limited in red or blue (I later dropped the blue). I picked up my 2024 red Prius Limited on Oct. 30. I got exactly what I asked for at MSRP with no extras and no pressure to buy a warranty or anything else. My salesman Roy Almeyda was great throughout keeping me informed of progess getting here. Toyota101 says no dealer markups for any models. I had ordered a Ford Maverick Hybrid pickup in Sept., 2022 and did not expect to get it so that inspired me to reserve the Prius. The Maverick was scheduled two weeks after reserving the Prius. The Maverick arrived on Aug. 23. I now have two new vehicles in my garage and alternate driving them. Both are way fun.

17. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think yellow an option for the US. I'd go for that just to be different. Drive south of the border and definitely get some looks.

David Chislett likes this.
  18. racer01

racer01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    I was opportunistic and lucky. Saw my local dealer had one showing as incoming in late July so called them up and it was available at MSRP. I put down a deposit and had the car 2 weeks later. Still one of the only 2023's in my local area.

19. racer01

racer01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    I was opportunistic and lucky. Saw my local dealer had one showing as incoming in late July so called them up and it was available. I put down a deposit and had the car 2 weeks later. Still one of the only 2023's in my local area.

20. BlueMagnet

BlueMagnet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Put a deposit mid July at San Francisco Toyota and picked blue Prime SE first week of September.
    If there was a choice of yellow in US, I would have waited longer for the yellow. Had a yellow
    Celica in past and loved that car.

21. Kent_H

Kent_H New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I believe I shouldn’t buy a lottery ticket based on my experience especially relative to others’ experience.

I placed a deposit on April 22 of last year on a Prime XSE Premium in red with expectation that it would be a minimum 1-2 year wait for delivery based on what the dealer expected with their allocations. Turns out, I received word 2 weeks ago that I was allocated for build with delivery due in mid March. This despite there are others at the dealership ahead of me on their list. I was supposedly number 5 and they’ve stopped taking orders since mid last year because of the expected long waits with few to no allocations expected. My only guess is that those above me on the list didn’t opt for my exact trim and that’s what was allocated.

That said, I consider myself extremely lucky and it’s the second time lightning has stuck with expected long waits on factory orders in recent years. We only ended up waiting 4 months on a Mach-e for my wife back in ‘22 when others ordered way before and waited long after. Ultimately in the Prius’ case, I believe that it all ties back to Toyota’s Production System and how they allocate cars to dealers which doesn’t make a whole lotta sense to the casual observer - myself included.

rampante550 likes this.
  22. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    @Kent_H: Yay on the short wait. I got mine fast a different way possibly for the same root cause, folk who had cars on order and chickened out. I was on a waiting list for "rejects" and only had to wait about 5 months. It was for an XSE Premium too, I was just a lot more flexible on options. My only no-go's were solar roof (didn't want it) or black. I kinda wanted the digital rear view mirror was ambivalent about advanced parking, didn't get either. I secretly wanted red too, able to say I was forced to get it due to allocation. Cutting Edge silver is pretty nice looking though, not complaining at all.

LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN! Have fun anticipating. I trust you have downloaded and are reading the manuals now, right? I did and knew more about the car than anyone at the dealership when I picked it up.

In the forum I call my car a PPPXP. I like alliteration and that's for Pretty Prius Prime, XSE Premium. I toyed with updating it to PPPPXP, adding Prize-winning after it got car of the year, but sticking with PPPXP.

will

Kent_H likes this.