1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long did you wait for first oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rangerdavid, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Dealer said 10,000 miles. I know ill do one before that. I'm thinking maybe 3500 or so.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I go to the dealer for all the free services. Have done so with all of my current and past Prius without issue. So that means 10k miles or 1 year normally for the first oil change, whichever comes first :)

10k is what toyota recommends nowadays. Kinda hard for the gear heads to wrap thier heads around especially when used to 3k or bust mentality. Seems to work though..

XW50, RCO and Rangerdavid like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did mine at 5k, get the junk out.

RCO and Rangerdavid like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be sticking with the scheduled services - they're 2-3 times as frequent as some other manufacturers (BMW, Merc etc). Only time I would do it more regularly is if I was planning on keeping it for a R-E-A-L-L-Y L-O-N-G time or I lived in a very dusty environment. Being CVT, it can't be stressed like a manual gearbox car. Besides, being a Hybrid, the petrol engine isn't running as many kilometres as the actual car does. Oils have improved out of sight compared with the days when we changed oils a few times a year - and oils are now much more expensive too.

5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I added an early oil change to my maintenance schedule - 3,300 miles. Now I will adhere to the 10,000 mile recommendation.

6. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Down here in Mexico Toyota services are due every 10K km (6.2K mi) or 6 months.

Nexus 10 ?

RCO likes this.
  7. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Is that for the pruis as well? If so I wonder why the difference?

8. aurelio

aurelio Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I have a gen4. It's the same interval for all Toyota models and it's priced as any other 4 cylinder engine car. I guess it's needed when you drive almost all the time it bumper to bumper traffic, bumpy roads a hot and humid wheather as hell.

And of course, it keeps dealer cash register full and shiny.

Almost any other brand (if not all) down here has a 5K km (3K mi) scheduled maintenance intervals. And believe it or not, you need it. Oil in my other car is black as night after those 5k km. My Prius oil on the other hand looks just like new after 9K km ( ~5K mi).

Nexus 10 ?

RCO and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  9. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Targeted 3500 miles, but actually had it done at 3700 and change. Paid out of pocket to not void the 5k and 10k ToyotaCare free service. Next service will be at 5k for fluid check and rotation. Next oil will be at 10k and stay on the factory schedule at least until the warranty ends. I hope to have the car a long time.

RCO likes this.
  10. maddog61

maddog61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    8000 km or 6 months

11. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Has anyone that has actually changed the oil at or around 3k miles instead of the recommended 10k ever sent the oil in to get tested? It would be interesting to compare and see if it is actually worthwhile to do...

RCO likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially with the low cost of DIY, I'd rather stick with 6 months or 8000 km (3rd Gen Canadian Schedule), than wonder about longevity, and incur testing costs. I may start doing filter change only every second change though.

upload_2016-9-9_10-19-38.png

I have re-usable waste oil container, so pretty much the only thing going into the recycle stream is the waste oil and the filter.

RCO likes this.
  13. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I was asking if anyone has tested the oil after changing if well before Toyotas Recomemded interval to see the oil degradation and how much sediment is in there, etc..

Not how far can one possibly go without changing the oil...

Most everyone claims the early oil change is meant to "get all the sediment and particles out" or something to that effect..I am simply wondering if this statement is true or semi true or false and why Totota who would be the ones paying for warranty work should an engine fail pre maturely not recommend lower intervals if that was the case :)

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    4,950, to be exact.

I'll do the next one at the factory recommended 10K. I do so much short-trip city driving, and the gas engine is always going on & off. I don't mind changing it a little more often. (And the dealer has good free donuts.) :LOL:

RCO likes this.
  15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's unlikely to prolong oil life or engine life. For one reason, the time it isn't running (but the engine of a non-hybrid would be running) are low-stress periods to the non-hybrid. Also, there are more stops and starts, which may cause wear in themselves. And the engine is subject to wider temperature swings, with all that off time.

RCO likes this.
  16. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In recent years the manufactures seam to be competing on oil change intervals. It's so effective of a market scheme, my sister in law said you never have to do oil changes anymore. I don't know what technology has changed to make these claims. Oil being the life blood of the engine, I use synthetic. First change at 2500, then 5K and now at 3-5 K.

RCO likes this.
  17. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I understand the philosophy but does you oil at 2500 mile intervals look junky? Or are you just doing it because that's how you have always done it? Just wondering :)

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  18. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Toyota's definition of "premature" is in relation to the original factory warranty. I hope my engine lasts well past that point, and I was willing to do a little extra preventative maintenance. Without a sample and lab results I can't say if it was worth it, but the cost was minimal even if it was a complete waste.

I am still considering doing the same for the transaxle fluid, but I don't have the DIY equipment and it's significantly more expensive. What's really holding me back is my lack of faith in anyone locally having any decent practice for the procedure -- the dealers insist the transaxle is "sealed" and the "lifetime" fluid shouldn't be changed. (But of course they will for enough money.)

RCO likes this.
  19. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With the Prius, I don't think I'm going to mess with the transaxle fluid, transmission fluid, (is there fluid in a "CVT"? :LOL:) or the brake fluid, or the coolant for a long, long time. The Maint schedule recommends engine/inverter coolant change at 100,000 miles... or 10 years. No mention of any other fluid changes; only engine oil.

I hope to keep the Maintenance as simple and as minimal as possible. Just oil, filters, and tires... Hopefully!

Elt31987, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  20. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    +1

Elt31987, RCO and Coast Cruiser like this.