1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long did you wait for first oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rangerdavid, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius does go easy on the oil. I'd agree checking the dipstick, it looks pretty good, almost like new, right before oil change. Whereas a few other vehicles I change oil on, the oil looks black on the dipstick. Still, especially first oil change: I'd say do your engine a favour and change it sooner. Cheap insurance. See I was harping about this on page one, anyway.

Our Canadian 3rd gen schedule is 6 months or 8000 kms. We're doing at most 10,000 kms per year, but I'm sticking with the 6 months, around every 5000 kms, at most. The oil still looks golden, as you say, on the dipstick. But the drained oil in a jar, is black as ink. Old and new, both are Toyota 0W20, with just over 3000 kms between oil changes, this time:

New&Old Oil.jpg
    Goes without saying, this is just a detergent motor oil doing it's job, but there's a gulf between the appearance on the dipstick, and a cup of the drained oil.

#81 Mendel Leisk, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    m.wynn likes this.