1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long do I have with this dying 12V battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VFerdman, Dec 8, 2017.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My '07 has been displaying very clear signs of 12V battery demise. I get the Parking System errors, the Red Triangle before readying, I measure very low voltage on the battery via the in-system instruments like OBDII (I use Torque Pro) and diagnostic screen on MFD. Sometimes it dips below 10V, which I know is way low. However, the car starts and runs every time just fine (for now). I have placed an order for an Optima replacement battery at Jeggs, but that will not ship out until the end of this month and probably will arrive after the first of the year. That was the best deal for that Optima battery ($166 and free shipping).

My question is: should I risk waiting that battery or just bite the bullet and buy one that is immediately available at around $210? I have SKS on this car, which probably is the biggest power draw when the car is off. I can temporarily disable it (to my wife's chagrin), but I'd rather not.

So what say you, the hive mind? Can the dying battery survive another few weeks in New England winter or am I asking for trouble? This is my first hybrid and it amazes me that the car just starts like nothing is wrong on a 10V battery (the voltage goes up to 14.2V once the car powers, so my DC-DC converter is trying to charge it like it should).

Also, I saw an AC Delco battery that is supposed to work for the Prius for around the same price 0f $160 (less with a 20% coupon). I know AC Delco batteries used to be very good, but so much has changed since those days.... Does anyone know about this AC Delco replacement?

Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could last quite awhile, might be worth investing in a cheap trickle charger. is it original?

WilDavis likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are asking for trouble. jump starting incorrectly, even for a second, can be thousands in electronics.

The AC Delco battery should be fine, the only 'advantage' to the Toyota truestart battery is a 84 month prorated warranty.

amazon.com/ACDelco-ACDB24R-Advantage-Automotive-Battery/dp/B010GKJ8F6

WilDavis and jerrymildred like this.
  4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do have a trickle charger, but have not used it on the Prius since I did the traction battery maintenance with Prolong. I am not sure, but I think it may be original 12V battery. Very impressive if it is.

Sounds like I may just buy the AC Delco if my nerves give out. So far it's only been my nerves. The car behaves fine. But I know how these things are. One moment it's fine and the next it's REALLY dead. Jumping is not something I have ever screwed up, so I am not too worried about that.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Getting it checked with an electronic load tester will dispel the mystery regarding its condition. Battery retailer will have these usually, and will check it for free. You can DIY with Solar BA5, or others.

I'd second trying a charging session, hopefully will tide you over till your mail order battery arrives. Maybe local purchase is preferable, next time.

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Local purchase is easier said than done around here save for the dealer, which is not very friendly to DIYers. Locally owned auto stores I tried do not carry the battery and can not even order one. National chains and box stores I do not consider local purchases, so mail order it is for me on this one. I can have an AC Delco in my hands in a few days, it seems and I can cancel the Optima order up until it ships. I will also put the battery tender on the car the next few days. I really want to get the Optima as it seems like a superior battery in general. I like the cylindrical roll construction and it's made by Johnson Controls, which is a good battery manufacturer.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry but I don't agree. "This is kind of like asking "How long can I wait before I get a cavity in my tooth filled. It only hurts occasionally and not very bad."

You gain NOTHING by waiting.

8. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Incorrect. I gain about $60.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You missed the point.

Your original question did NOT say: "Will it hold up a few days until the cheaper battery arrives?"

And Optima doesn't have a really good rep when it comes to Prius batteries.
    In the long run, buying the cheapest battery you can find might actually cost you MORE.

kenoarto likes this.
  10. chelvis

chelvis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I tolerated about a week and a half of nonsense during Springtime a few years ago and then got a new 12V battery for my '05. This is in Northern NJ. I went to the dealer with a nice coupon and had those jolly folks put it in the Toyota battery.

New England winter? You are gambling, especially given snow this weekend. Peace of mind is mostly priceless.

Cheers, Tom

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can anyone over the internet from just your description quantify the risk?
    But clearly your battery is dying.
    My reaction is WHY?
    A few weeks more of life? At the risk of being stranded or suddenly losing availability of your vehicle?

Unless you are extremely budget strapped, and/or diverting expendable income to life sustaining medicine purchases and/or gift for the orphans this Christmas....I'd just go invest into a new battery. I see little advantage in trying to squeeze out whatever little amount of life might be left.

GT4Prius and kenoarto like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, didn't realize you could still cancel on the Optima. FWIW, I have an Optima Yellow Top myself (for about 2.5 years now), but I've heard it's maybe not the best "fit" for Prius, has high cranking amps (which aren't really needed) and lower amp hours (than the OEM for example.

Locally for me, Canadian Tire sells a conventionally shaped AGM under their Motomaster house brand, and apparently it is a rebadged Exide. It's dimensionally identical to OEM, slightly better spec, and significantly cheaper than OEM. Then, I'm in a fairly big metropolis, and lots of Prius, especially cabs. That's what I might go with next time around.

#12 Mendel Leisk, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  13. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I may not have made it clear in the original post, so I'll try again.

I have already made a decision to replace the battery. I am not trying to eek out the last Amp*hour out of the one that's dying. I have already placed an order for the Optima Yellow top battery. The problem is that it will not ship until the end of December. I tried local shops and came up dry. I did not try big box auto stores, just the independent ones. I can get either an Optima battery sooner than the end of December, but at a $60 premium over the one where I placed the order. My car has not so much as hiccuped yet due to low battery. It starts and runs perfectly every time. The only reason I know the battery is low is because I use Torque Pro to monitor the traction battery and as a bargain have a 12V battery gauge on there. I noticed it went way low when I shut the car off and the dome lights seem a bit dim, come to think of it.

I am wondering if the old battery will survive until my Optima battery gets here, not IF I should replace it. Seems like the consensus is replace ASAP. I may cancel the Optima order that is not due to ship until December 27 and buy a battery that will get here sooner or I may just put the car on a battery tender overnight until the Optima arrives.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think it will survive.

Prodigyplace and VFerdman like this.
  15. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I still have the OEM in mine ('08 145k)

VFerdman and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So you've been watching the battery slowly die and done nothing till now? When did you notice the volts go under 12 and then 11.4 and now 10? You should chart the speed of your death spiral. Larger question is: how much are you willing to pay for a jump start and/or tow when you eventually need it? $60 is a nice meal without drinks, a round of drinks ... 1/4 nosebleed ticket to Hamilton ...

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why limit your search like that ??
    And you still didn't mention an actual "battery store".......like Interstate.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider an "independent" auto parts store ?
    I don't think I've seen one in about 40 years.

AND.....nobody knows how much longer the old one will last. It's a gamble; only you know if you want to take the chance or not. It might fail completely tomorrow.

benagi, GT4Prius and WilDavis like this.
  19. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Excellent point. The big box auto stores do stock Prius batteries.

20. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would keep the car on a trickle charger overnight. The battery will perform the worst when it's cold, and I assume that is overnight. What are your options if the car dies where you park it during the day? Could you plug in the charger there, or will you require a jump start?

Jump starting is a potentially hazardous process on a Prius. Even when you connect the cables correctly, the surge from a high capacity battery can toast at least some fuses or worse. Your local tow service carries a battery that can start the largest V8 out there. Not what you want. Maybe you could rig up a set of 8 D cells as a jumper battery that would provide enough to boost the 12V battery after maybe 5 minutes. And connect to the jump point in the engine compartment - not directly to the battery in the trunk.

YAWP and kenoarto like this.