1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long do I have with this dying 12V battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by VFerdman, Dec 8, 2017.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I misunderstood or misread your original post.
    However, over the internet, how can anyone really predict how much life you may have left in a battery?
    I've owned vehicles where I'm standing right over the open hood looking at the battery, and really have no idea if the next crank is it's last. Even with voltage readings, and meters -it's not too predictable.
    Over the internet, it's impossible.

VFerdman likes this.
  2. C.R.Merrow

C.R.Merrow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I researched these 3 Trunk located 12 volt batteries for my 2012 Prius Plugin, and found them all to be very good batteries, but after reading all the information. I thought the ("Optima Batteries 8171-767 (DS46B24R) Yellow Top Battery") was the best, and purchased it at $141 at 4WD & Bosch S6535B S6 Flat Plate AGM Battery Group: S46B24R at $145 was available at CARD & Exide Edge FP-AGM-51R Battery was $144 was available at CARID. I don't think I would have went wrong with anyone of these, but I do think these are the best three of a Prius trunk located battery, because you have limited space to place the battery in, and really no room for error, and these three batteries are built just for the Prius trunk located battery. I am sure with more searching could have found more to choose from. Now for my question to my other 2012 thru 2015 Prius Plugin owners. What news have you heard about the recall for the Hybrid battery fuse replacement?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't heard anything. if i wait long enough, i can do the airbag and fuse at the same time. anymore toyota recalls, and i may have to look at another brand.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably best to ask Gen 3 specific questions in the Gen 3 specific forums.

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, the deed is done! Yesterday I went to Pep Boys about half an hour drive away from me and had them install (free installation) a Bosch 12V battery for $190 - 30% + sales tax = $141 (and change). This battery carries 4 year replacement warranty and is made in USA. I did not know that Bosch makes car batteries, but my other Bosch products seem to be fairly robust.

This new battery reads 12.4V on my OBDII Torque app and dips down to 12.1 when I put lights on, then bounces back to 12.4 when lights are off. The sticker on the side of the battery said manufactured in Oct. 2017, so it's fairly fresh.

I am pretty happy that the old battery lasted until the replacement and also thankful for a pretty good deal Mendel Leisk pointed me to. Thank you, Mendel and everyone else who weighed in.

As for Optima vs non-Optima, I really don't think it matters all that much in this application. This is light duty for sure. The old battery performed its functions while being below 10V. AGM is superior technology to liquid acid in general. I think the cylindrical construction vs. flat plates only matters for things like storage capacity (more surface area) and maybe CCA capacity (again more surface area). I am not sure it is absolutely necessary to go overboard on the specs in this application. The Bosch battery I got boasts very good specs: 440CCA/530CA and 45AH capacity. Hopefully it is a good quality product and last for a while.

uart and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe not.

If those voltage readings were taken with the car in "ready" mode, then your charging system is suspect.
    When the vehicle is ON and no major drain is present, the voltage should read at least 13.2; absolute minimum.

If the new battery wasn't manually charged before installing, you should do that now.
    A fresh AGM battery that is fully charged should read at least 12.8 with no load.

7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sam, I checked the charging system before (it's in the earlier posts). When the car is on I get 14.2V - 14V solid. As for topping off the new battery, that's probably a good idea and I will do that soon.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check voltage first thing in morning with a digital multimeter, with the car off. If it's still reading 12.4 that's kinda fishy. :(

A good ploy is to get the installers to check it with an electronic load tester, ensure you're not getting a stale battery. Hopefully it's just a case of the car's peripherals pulling the voltage down.

Bottom line: it's really hard to make sense of a voltage reading taken by the car's display, too many variables.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    argh! you ruined the thread. we were taking side bets on the over/under.:cool:

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My apologies.

11. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well even with the car completely off there are things drawing on the battery juice. I have SKS that's one item, there are noises coming from the brake pump sometimes, there is also a a check that's performed on the gas tank vapor recovery system. The thing is that these cars are constantly drawing a small amount of current from the battery. So checking at any one moment is no better than checking with the OBDII, which of course is when there are all kinds of things turned on. The only way to check is to disconnect the battery from the car and load test it on the bench. I am not going to do that and just trust that the manufacturing date sticker of Oct 2017 is legit and the 4 year warranty is real.

I will likely throw a trickle charger on it once the weather improves a bit and call it good enough. No need to make a bigger deal of it than it is.

12. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes but after it's been off and undisturbed for an hour or more, and without the FOB close by, the current drain should be negligible.

IF a battery cannot support that slight current draw without a drop in voltage, there is something wrong.

There IS a significant difference checking it with an external meter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I will measure it with my DMM tomorrow.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i pop the hood the night before, and measure it at the jump point in the morning. if you can't do that, reach in through the drivers door so you don't activate the brake pump.

15. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I am going to go ahead and assume the new battery made by Bosch in US in Oct, 2017 is good and not rush out to prove it as being bad. When the weather is a bit better I will make some battery measurements that are more sensible, but in the meantime I am enjoying no red triangle, bright dome lights and no parking system complaints from the MFD.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the battery is likely good, but sometimes they don't come fully charged. nothing wrong with that, but it should be done since the prius makes a lousy charger. a fully charged new battery should be around 13v with everything off.

17. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll definitely throw a charger on it soon.

18. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well in the end you bought it locally and have the warranty.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you for not making it more complicated than it is. The guys are probably right, that it is not at a fully charged state straight from the shelf, but as you are saying, it is good enough. Under normal conditions and as long as your charging system is working, especially on a low amperage draw prius, you will never be able to tell the difference between 100% SOC and 50% SOC on the 12v battery. In either case, it's going to perform its intended job. This is a case of install it, drive it and forget about it. 99% chance you wont be touching that battery again for a handful of years.

benagi and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. C.R.Merrow

C.R.Merrow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Should be getting a letter from Toyota starting January 2018