1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long do Optima Yellow Top batteries last in a 2G Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kohnen, Jul 15, 2011.

1. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi all!

I replaced my 2G original 12V battery with an Optima D51 in Feb '08.

How long do the Optima batteries last in a Prius? Since I'm coming up on 4 years, should I consider replacing it? Or do the Optima batteries typically last much longer?

I haven't heard of anybody needing to actually replace an Optima. If you have, please comment!

Thanks!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question! Hope some answers. I just installed Optima yesterday at 91K miles (orig was 4.75 yr old). I call your attention to the very last comment on the Optima instructions, they said you can make battery last longer by disable of smart key if you are parked more than a couple days. Apparently this can drain battery.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Since the OE battery can last a long time if:

1. You make long trips which keeps it fully charged.
    2. You NEVER accidentally fully discharge it
    The "Yellow Top" has more capacity and is harmed less by being discharged. So it can last a long time. My OE battery in my 2004 at 7.5 years and 200k miles is still viable.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks jdenenerg. :)

I bought my D51 in the spring of 2009. It is at about 75% capacity now (voltage stays at 12.4v after surface charge dissipates). I have a very large stereo system which puts a strain on the battery so that may be why my battery is not at 100%. I have not fully discharged this battery though so it has not been abused other than the stereo. I also drive 100+miles/day during the week so charging is not an issue.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    This is only a "strain" if you run the stereo in ACC mode (no support from the charging system).
    If you discharge your battery somewhat before shutting down the system, you can hurt the 12v battery. All lead acid batteries need to be kept fully charged or the plates develop crystallized sulfur and this reduces capacity. If the problem has not progressed too far, you can reverse it with a desulfating charger like:

BatteryMINDer® Plus AGM/OPTIMA Maintenance Charger / Desulfator-Conditioner 12 Volt – 1.0 Amp | All | Battery Chargers by BatteryMINDers.com

Which sometimes can be found discounted to $40 or so. This is BatteryMinder's AGM specific model so it is the one to buy for the Optima Yellow Top.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  6. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    please note! I just replaced with optima d51 .The extra parts are no longer shipped in a plastic bag but are stuffed in the crevice in bottom of the battery. You must turn it over to get them out. This my second buy from elearnaid and the apprised me of this change after I had installed They have been good enough to send me the red vent plug and vent hose .

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I just mentioned the "easter egg hunt" in another post.
    I do not think I even got the photo showing the parts shipped.
    So I had to go to eLearnAid web site to see what I was supposed to be getting, and then started hunting. This was after the OEM battery was out, so I was of course hoping I had the parts.

8. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So far, it appears that the only _data_ point we've gotten is the original battery can last a long time if you're really gentle with it.

[​IMG][​IMG]Anyone have to replace an Optima yet?[​IMG][​IMG]

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And that no-one has chimed in with a failed Optima, exactly the data we want to hear. The longer before we get data, the better, in this case. :D

10. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I really like the idea of the Optima being a near-permanent fix to the OEM battery!

Looking out there on the interwebz, it appears that the yellow-tops either die really early, or last a LONG time. Just want to try to make sure though.

Bueller?! Bueller?!

11. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have an '05 bought on 2-2-05. I replaced the OEM on 1-29-09 with an Optima Yellow Top. I am currently on a business trip and am told that the Yellow Top has failed. Though I can't perform any troubleshooting till I get home next month. I just bought a BatteryMinder. And I am considering another Yellow Top. But the price has gone up. And I am now wondering weather or not a warranty is applicable. Is it possible that the BatteryMinder can restore the Yellow Top?

1 person likes this.
  12. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Please keep the group informed. Especially let us know if it was an outright battery failure, or it was simply needed recharging!

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree with you, lasting life of car would be great, one less thing.
    I hesitated on Optima due to some (Red Top) user reviews on Amazon, however the Yellow Top model for Prius has all good reviews from Prius owners over there. So I went for it, but got it from eLearnaid.

14. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update...

I have contacted eLearnaid about any potential warranty. They responded the next day saying that they had found my invoice and asked me some questions. Like what is the battery voltage? ( I responded that I would know in early Aug) How long has the car sat without starting? (originally one week before it needed a jump) Do I have any aftermarket electrical accessories (no). How much I drive it? (less than 85K miles) Do I drive it often? (except for recent business travel, it is my daily driver). I asked my wife to search my maintenance file for the receipt. She scanned it, sent it to me and I forwarded it to eLearnaid with my response... Nothing heard.

If it goes another couple of days with no response. I will e-mail them again and ask them if I can get a discount on a replacement. I need to get this car running again as soon as I get back home. If I had a replacement battery on hand. I wouldn't have to wait a few days for them to send one.

Any suggestions?

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take this as heresay, but on Amazon there is one complaint (non Prius owner) saying the Yellow Top is not guaranteed if bought from Amazon. So I was wondering about eLearnAid policy. I think eLearnAid is in CA so free shipping to you is usually fast. Was fast to me about 4 days to me on right coast.

16. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Everyone,

My new Yellow top and Battery Minder were waiting for me this morning. I installed them and the Prius now boots up normally... I sent some pictures to Bernard Littman at eLearnaid who has been my point of contact. One picture was the battery on my bench with an volt meter connected showing less than 1.4 VDC. Bernard responded that he had provided me a full refund for my first failed Yellow Top.

I have no complaints with eLearnAid. They were prompt and efficient and provided a fair service after purchase!

Attached Files:

17. 06P7

06P7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear! I purchased a yellow top last night and it'll arrive via ups tomorrow.

18. sfcitykitty

sfcitykitty Junior Member

I just finished installing my new eLearnAid Yellowtop replacement battery.

It would be an easier install if you bought a replacement 6" Negative cable. If you choose to reuse the original cable, take the clamping bolt out of the old Negative terminal clamp and expand the terminal diameter. Then use the longer clamping bolt out of the old Positive terminal on the Negative terminal clamp.

I didn't see any mention in my Installation Instructions of the original Prius Negative clamp being too small to fit the new battery.

19. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found something on the elearn site that led me to buy the "adapter" when I first bought my YellowTop. I can recommend it!

-J