1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long do you expect your HV battery to last?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by uart, Apr 23, 2012.

?
  1. I think I'll be lucky to get 100,000 miles

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. 100 to 150 k-miles

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. 150 to 200 k-miles

26 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. 200 to 250 k-miles

24 vote(s)
    27.0%
  5. More than 250 k-miles

25 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. thesaint

thesaint Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    please send me info on your 2004 prius for sale. i'm thinking about buying an 04 prius.

2. thesaint

thesaint Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i own a 2002 generation 1 prius with 170k miles on it and toyota just told me i need a new battery pack. anyone have an inexpensive fix or solution? please let me know asap. my engine and trouble lights are on.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you plan to purchase a replacement battery I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction.

People do some experimenting with rebuilding the battery packs themselves if they are technically included and feel comfortable working around high voltage. May not be too practical if this is your daily driver though.

Feel free to give me a call 608-729-4082 and we can talk..

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...this is a very old thread...but the $1200 would be consistent with getting a salvage battery pack from a junk yard Prius. The other low cost option would be to fix the battery by replacing the bad cell(s), but this requires some advanced DIY skills or willing mechanic (time consuming).

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sold over a year and a half ago, sorry!:(

6. razdan

razdan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greentec Auto

7. Janstheman

Janstheman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have been to the gentleman's shop in Scottsburg, Indiana. Autobeyours is the website, if he can't fix your 2nd Gen Prius nobody can. This shop has the knowledge and ability to do the kind of thing that has been described here. $4295 for a battery is steep, but changing it for a good used (balanced used) battery would be my call. $1000 to $1500 would be all that I would invest in a ten year old car, if it was my only choice. Without it, a Prius is a doorstop or a boat anchor. Yes, I love my '04 Prius and I would fix it, regardless. A good rebuilt or used would be fine.

8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The battery is not going to be $1,000 unless it is some junkyard gamble with little or no warranty.

Assuming that you install it yourself:
    A used battery is going to be at least $1,500 plus shipping.
    A new battery will be over $2,000, likely more near $2,500.

Additionally, if you have a professional shop install it, you will need to pay them for a few hours labor.

9. Janstheman

Janstheman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, with a pair of lineman's gloves and a good Fluke meter I believe I can locate the bad cell(s) in the HV battery. Tbe only thing that would stop me is the fact that I know that all cells have to be in balanced (relative voltage the same or nearly the same). So far, so good I have not had any issues with mine other than the inverter pump has died three times, all covered by Toyota. And the only thing out of the ordinary was the headlamp leveling sensor malfunctioned, turned on the "headlamp" on the MFD and again replaced by Toyota. So tell me if anyone out there sells individual cells for this battery or do they only want to replace the whole thing? The other question would be if I went to a junkyard and harvested my own used battery is there or would there be a way to charge it myself? Just curious, my thinking is if I did the labor I might save a buck or two. I am very capable of installing the battery, just want to conserve my money.

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can buy individual an module (6 cells). Usually they are not tested or quantified. The real issue is that they will not be matched to the ones in your existing pack. You'll have a mismatch of both the capacity and the internal resistance. You can use a hobby charger to charge the module. The junkyard may not have any warranty on the modules.
    It can be done. But it takes a time and effort to do it right. And, as you can imagine, there are plenty of ways to do it wrong.