1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long does spare tire last?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by slickvik, Dec 8, 2021.

1. slickvik

slickvik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My father is telling me that spare tires aren't designed to last more than five years. I have had mine since 2007, only used it a couple of times. Do I really need to buy a new one?

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Your dad is technically correct but because of spare generally sits in the dark and is not around super high amp voltage lines like parked under power lines etc it can last a lot longer for power sports equipment and motorcycles that's getting near limit and since there's only two you know tend to replace them a little sooner but we're talking a spare here matter of fact I don't have a spare in my car because it's 22 some odd pounds of extra weight for nothing I've cut the silence around the exhaust every bit of weight I can take off this thing reasonably I do This is a work vehicle so I'm taking the back seat out and just putting a plate there I can still strap the baby down to the floor with the proper straps provided by Toyota and the anchor points That's my granddaughter.

SM-A715F ?

3. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if you're worried about your spare then check yours out. look at the psi (refill if needed) and check the overall condition. If you wouldn't feel safe using it in a pinch, then replace it. If yours holds air and the condition is good, you should be fine

Meg&Bear likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is 9years old and i'm comfortable with it. looks like brand new, no deterioration to the rubber anywhere, holds 65 psi no problem.

my dakota spare is 16 years old, and sits under the chassis :eek:

ask dad if he'd like to buy you one :p

Meg&Bear likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ?

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wth? Might need to re-evaluate your priorities..........

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Inspect the tire and valve stem for cracking or other signs of deterioration. If it looks good, check the inflation pressure and don't worry about it. I would only be concerned with a spare stored on the outside of the car (like tailgate mounted spares on some SUV's).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now this one is used for mostly service calls so you know two front seats are the main priority and that's about it sometimes I go to Home Depot with this thing and pick up 10-ft 2x6s other times delivering parts for appliances and whatever yep sometimes picking up the kid

SM-A715F ?

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've noted before around high amp electric motors and I think even power lines extra ozone is generated which deteriorates rubber I think maybe because it's rust all kinds of weirdness I know there's this one spot that I've put some metal and I've never seen the stuff rust so fast it's covered too like under a carport and these brake rotors and things rusted so bad flakes of metal or falling off these EBC rotors things like that I've read about it before but never paid that much attention My engineer buddy in Florida says it can be extremely bad can wear rubber out and months

SM-A715F ?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    And in this same spot rubber tyres turn white in weeks . Look like they be been they're 8 years . This is under a carport that's under hi power lines big UNs

SM-A715F ?

11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  12. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah mine's been missing since about 1972 TE27 wagon under car mounted spare remove the tire jig that held the spare and the spare itself I don't think we've really carried a spare since we just don't really do the flat tire thing every 10 years or something and then I have that solution in the trunk North shore plug kit and air

SM-A715F ?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Reading the article, the rats would have to be very near said power lines.

The rats in the experiment were 1 cm from a 10 kilovolt source (that was pointy, designed to maximize corona discharge). By 5 cm they were already too far away.

If it's still fair to use about 500 kilovolts as an upper range for US transmission voltages, that's 50 times the experiment voltage, so you'd expect to see comparable effects if the rats were 50 cm from the lines, disappearing if they were more than 250 cm away (ignoring the difference between the pointy electrode in the experiment and the real transmission lines, which are not-pointy on purpose).

To get within 50 or even 250 cm of a 500 kilovolt line, you would need very adventurous rats climbing quite some distance up a transmission tower.

#14 ChapmanF, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whew! That's a relief.
    LOL