1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Long Does The Key Remote Batter Last?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusGirlyGirl, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Guardado

Guardado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the Prius 2013 manual, it does state that the battery will drain faster if it's within 3 feet of a cell phone. This is annoying, because I always carry my cell phone and keys in opposite pants pockets during the work day and there aren't 3 feet in between them...

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So you're exposing your junk to RFI from both directions? :eek: :D

SCH-I535

3. Guardado

Guardado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hadn't thought of that. Maybe I need a murse :)

4. PriusGirlyGirl

PriusGirlyGirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I have less than 20,000 miles on my 2010 3rd Gen Prius. I got that message of Key Battery Low on my dash a few months ago and continues to appear however it only appears after about 10 miles or more of driving! I took it in to the dealer (for the brake booster recall fix) and they could not replicate the low key battery warning. I bought new batteries to replace in my key fob (on Amazon, 5 pack for just a few bucks) and the warning still does not go away! It's the strangest thing. I wonder if there is something internally wrong with the sensor in my car. However if the dealership doesn't even know what's wrong I'm not sure who would? My original key battery lasted for about 3 years. I only changed the battery a few months ago and I've never had trouble starting the car. I also keep a spare battery in my gym bag and glove compartment just in case the current on in the key fob fails. I just hate the uncertainty of whether the actual battery is not fully charged OR if there is something wrong with my car. :(

Attached Files:

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you get the warning with both key FOBs? Do you have anything in your purse or pocket that could be blocking the signal? Also some people have reported that their cell phone interfered with the fob (reference Guardado's post above). I have not observed this myself.

6. KennewickMan

KennewickMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Abuot 3 yrs.......................

7. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your owner's manual warns you to not keep the key fob within a certain number of feet from the car (when car is off) or the electronics will be in an always-awake state and will wear down your fob batteries faster. Same with keeping the fob near other electronics such as a cell phone. And you don't get a "key in car" audible warning? Not only that, but have you thought about car theft with keeping the "key" for the car actually inside the car?

8. Grace H

Grace H New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard the cellphone thing before, but I wasn't sure it was legit, though I think now it might, as I just had my local toyota renew the connection between my fob and my car, a few months ago, after I had to replace one of the fobs, and now, the fob I use, has stopped working(again) if anyone has any ideas, it would be extremely helpful, as I'd rather not have to go back to Toyota again, so soon