1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long has your original 12v battery lasted?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sardog, Jan 20, 2020.

1. psusi

psusi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unbelievable! I'm in Orlando and replaced my yellow top last year because it was starting to get a little weak ( checked voltage in service mode ). It was 6.5 or 7 years old and probably would have lasted another 6 months. Before that I had two factory batteries die after 2 years each.

Weird.. I hadn't heard of this performance edition. Normally the battery is in the trunk not the engine compartment. Makes it hard to get to to replace when it dies and you can't open any of the doors but the driver with the emergency key.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We make up any editions we want in here, we re entitled to our fantasies on the internet :ROFLMAO:

vlxerdon likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I keep a similar CTEK 4.3 charger hooked up pretty much all the time. If it's likely to be a car-free day, I connect it, and it stays connect until such time as we need the car. Sometimes 3~4 days. I wired in the (CTEK supplied) quick-connect for convenience, at the under-the-hood fuse box.

Bay Stater, sardog and dig4dirt like this.
  4. tonynap

tonynap Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    6 years/130k miles. Had plenty of life left.

sardog likes this.
  5. sardog

sardog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s actually easier to get to with the Model 3 IMO A cover under the frunk pops off exposing the 12v 6AB722A8-E74C-48B2-BAFC-13EFE67CBD71.jpeg

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jealous :whistle:

sardog likes this.
  7. psusi

psusi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, I finally got the guys at the dealership to tell me that's where it is in my model X. Last summer we were on a road trip all the way from Florida to Maine and the 12v died. They sent out a tow truck to jump start it and had to walk him through getting to the manual frunk release to reach the jumper terminals ( I paid attention and learned how it was done so I could do it again myself ). It died again the next day and Telsa had it towed an hour away to Boston where they took 3 days to figure out that it was, in fact, a bad 12v battery and replace it. I kept asking them on the phone to just tell me where the damn thing is and I'll go down to discount auto parts and get a replacement but they wouldn't.

8. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Into its 6th year and counting.... at about 160k.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The original GS YUASA in my 2010 gave up the ghost last week. I picked up the identical replacement from Toyota on Monday, but didn't get around to putting in until today, so I had a few more opportunities to jump-start the car, but now the new one is in.

Ten years doesn't seem like a bad run.

Fostel, Bay Stater, dig4dirt and 4 others like this.
  10. N H

N H New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow you guys are lucky compared to mine.
    I'm up north where its like winter 7 months out of the year.

Mine lasted from end of 2013 till now. However, maybe 3 years ago it started to act up. First it was became a 2-step turn on (had to press button once, then again a few seconds later. Never knew why I had to do it back then.
    Then maybe 2 winters ago, I had to jump it a few times that I bought my own portable jumper.
    Jumping always seemed to be work, but last summer, it started having issues where jumping it required a few tries sometimes.

I finally bit the bullet, and bought the optima yellow one and replaced it this weekend. Had autozone run a diagnostic test and the charging capacity was maxed at a whopping 2%.
    Drove <50k since I got the car in 2013.

I'm glad I switched and now everything seems to be back to when I got it originally. In hindsight, all these signs pointed towards the battery, but I didn't know any better and the dealership literally ran a diagnostic test twice over the last two years and still told me nothing was wrong.

11. jburg

jburg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just replaced the one on my wife's car on 20191231. The battery had a September 2009 date of manufacture. We live in NC, but the car spent the first 3 to 4 years of its life in Ohio (was my father-in-law's vehicle) given to my wife when she graduated as a gift. We started having issues with the lights on the radio flickering on and off. After looking into it on the forum, and not having a record of replacement, I replaced the battery and the issue resolved itself.

12. Mike72903

Mike72903 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2010 with 97000 miles. Still has the original 12 v battery

tonynap and dig4dirt like this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On the ten-year-old one that I replaced (the original one didn't have amp hours on the label, but the new Toyota identical replacement says 45 amp hours on the label), the verdict from my little Traxxas charger/discharger is 22.8 amp hours now (that was from full charge down to 9 V).

The Traxxas isn't really meant for car-sized batteries, and its discharging capacity maxes out at a dainty and delicate ten watts.

I'm pretty sure if it had been drawing a more lifelike number, it would have come out with a lower AH rating.

14. markjosh51

markjosh51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That’s what I was thinking today. Since my friend’s civic needed a new battery today, I was wondering if mines needed to be replaced. I had my Prius 2014 for about three years with 180,500 miles and I never had any problems with it. I guess it lasts a long time.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Steady use, long drives help. We're the opposite, lucky to put 500 kms on it in a month, keep it on a charger on the off days.

mike587 likes this.
  16. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2012 with 67,xxx miles on the original battery

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A second cycle on the Traxxas brings the old dead one up to 23.5 (again, under an only-ten-watt discharge rate).

If I remember right, that's about what the as-new capacity was for the first battery used in the Gen 1, before they introduced the replacement battery tray to fit a 45 AH option.

18. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sold my 2010 to a friend........currently 155,000......original 12v

Fostel likes this.
  19. mike587

mike587 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2010 with 99K just had to replace the 12v battery today. it would be fine if i drove the car every day. If it sat for 2 days it was a crap shoot, 3 days and it would not start without a jumper box.
    bought a new duracell from battery and bulbs. $211.00 out the door. they have a special 20% off.

Fostel and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just replaced the original in my 2011 a few weeks ago.Those batteries do seem to hold up well.

Fostel likes this.