1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Long is your RT Commute?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Feb 21, 2013.

?
  1. 0-30 Minutes

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. 31 Minutes to 1 Hour

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. 1 to 1 1/2 Hours

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 1 1/2 to 2 Hours

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Above 2 Hours

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. I'm a Trucker

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like it. Cha Ching

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    46 miles round trip. I usually leave for work between 5:00 and 5:30 AM, so not much in the way of traffic. About 1/2 hour drive.

Going home in the afternoon is pot luck. :(

JMD likes this.
  3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Roughly 120 miles round trip, without traffic it can take as little as 50 minutes one way. (95% is highway driving) If anything happens, the road is wet, it's raining, there might be a possibility of snow. Traffic will be crazy and my one way commute will take about 2 hours. I'd move closer, but I'm upside down and under water in my mortgage. So i sucks it up and make the drive to work. It doesn't matter anyway because the price of my house would barely buy a 600 square foot condo near work! I'd rather commute and live in a nice house vs. Living in a closet size condo and be close to work.

Chris S and JMD like this.
  4. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree. Who knows maybe in the future when the economy improves you may find a job closer to home. But for now your taking care of business.

5. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ride between 86 and 102 miles each way, from York, Pa to Dulles, Va, 5 or often 6 days a week. The route depends on how I feel and where I may get the best mpg. The 102 mile route is almost all highway and the fastest time-wise, drops mpg though, trashes it if it's windy. The 86 miler is the longest in time, doing all 2-lane roads through towns. It's the most stress-free though and I often take it if it is windy or nasty out. My normal ride is a happy medium of highway and back roads, comes in at 98.6 one way and usually gives best mpg, best was 64.3.

The best time I ever did a trip was 1:48, worst was just under 4 hours. I average 2 hours in and 2:20 back home.

I bought my house at the wrong time, had a 3-year plan to build equity in an affordable area and then move closer to work. Now it's been 8 and will keep going until the market rebounds. Very happy that I love my Prius.

I am debating a relocation with the company to drop the commute but it's to Phoenix, still thinking about it and wondering what I would do with hours of free time!!

Daves09prius and JMD like this.
  6. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you can telecommute at the least 1 day a week? I'm sure 8-9 hours at work + 4 hours in the car. Your family probaly gets the worst of you. On the weekend the last think you want to do is get in the car and drive far.

Is there a Job closer to home?

Phoenix is a growing City. Maybe you can visit and see if your family likes it.

You seem like a sharp guy, you'll figure it out.