1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long should brake pads last?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by lucaspiller, Dec 9, 2016.

1. lucaspiller

lucaspiller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used Prius 2010 nearly 5 months ago, with 130,000km on the clock. Before we bought it we had it inspected by the local Toyota dealership (we bought directly from the owner, so the dealership was impartial), they said for the age it's the best condition car they've seen (most Prii that end up here are ex-taxis). They pointed out a couple of minor issues, including the brake pads being 70% worn - they said they would need to replaced soon but could wait until the next scheduled maintenance.

Two weeks later we were on a trip in abroad, having driven maybe 500km since the inspection, and heard a metal rubbing noise from the back wheels. We found a mechanic, and other than him saying it's a terrible car (Eastern Europeans are a bit like Rednecks, they like power, power and more power), we managed to communicate enough that the rear brake pads were gone. He directed us to another mechanic who could do it, and we got them replaced.

Now I'm just having it in for the oil change, I've done around 7000km since the inspection (I've driven half way across Europe and back, so mostly highway driving) and my neighbourhood mechanic said the front brake pads need replacing. They inspected the rear brake pads and said they look like new.

So what do you think is going on here, as I understand the Prius barely uses the brakes so they should last a lot longer than a regular car (80,000km+). The previous owner said he had the pads replaced at some point during the couple of years he owned it (he bought it at 80k and did 50k km). Could the brake pads have gone from 70% worn to needing replaced so quickly? Should I avoid the Toyota dealership where I had it inspected?

2. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did the previous owner showed you paper that stated break was changed?

LG-H918 using PriusChat mobile app

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I would have the brakes lubricated (the caliper pins). If they stick the pads will wear excessively. And yes, Prius brake pads usually outlast the other components due to corrosion of the other parts.
    Did the first repair involve only the rear pads? If so then the front pads would be next.
    Oh, and I've had a Toyota dealer give me that line "your pads are 70% gone and should be replaced soon". My response was "ok, the 150,000 km wear was 70% meaning I have another 60,000 km wear left. Why replace now?" ;)

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Should last 200k miles if done right

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota in North America says the 2010 brakes should have an in-depth inspection, every 3 years or 48,000 kilometers (30,000 miles). This is regardless of brake depth, a routine maintenance. This is what I do, and I believe it's industry-wide accepted practice, what a "brake inspection" should entail:

1. Pull off the brake caliper
    2. Remove of the pads, disassemble and clean the pads and shims, check pad thickness, reassemble of pads and shims with thin coat of anti-seize compound (Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant) at all contact points.
    3. Clean the piston front face, and caliper "fingers", ie: the points of contact between caliper and pad backs. Apply thin coat of anti-seize compound to those points.
    4. Remove caliper pins, clean, apply fresh caliper pin lube ("Sil-Glyde Silicone Brake Lubricant" for example) and reinstall.
    5. Inspect anti-rattle claps in place, without removal.
    6. Inspect brake disk for excessive scoring/glazing/rusting.
    7. Install pad/shims.
    8. Install brake caliper.

Optional, while brake caliper is off, if there's pulsing and/or suspicion brake disk is nearing minimum thickness:

1. Check disk thickness with micrometer, verify it's within spec. (see attachment)
    2. Check disk runout with dial gauge and magnetic base, verify it's within spec. (see attachment)
    (Note, keep magnetic base away from speed sensor)
    (Note, lug nuts should be reinstalled and semi-torqued (with washers)).

Caution: When reassembling rear brakes ensure inner pad's backing plate pin is positioned (and well seated) between the spokes on face of caliper piston. Failing to do so, the brakes will drag.

Edit: attachment belatedly added. :oops:

Attached Files:

#5 Mendel Leisk, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Robert Holt, Rebound and jdcollins5 like this.
  6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The lug nuts need washers?

On a serious note, the Gen III Prius has a display called "Hybrid System Indicator" (pic below). When you brake, the left-most part of this bar will darken, which indicates that you're using regenerative braking. As long as that small bar isn't completely dark, you are slowing the car without using brake pads at all.

Sometimes, of course you have to brake hard enough to use the brake pads - that's what they're for. But if you safely practice using this, you won't need to look at it every time, you'll e able to softly stop your car every time and create regenerative power. So you save your brake pads and you save gas.

View attachment 121353

#6 Rebound, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Without the wheel on, if they're closed end nuts, yeah they may. See attachment too: they say to put on all lug nuts, with washers, and torque to 76 ft/lb. That seems a little overkill, I would maybe put on 3, and just half-torque them, the best you can with the rotor not that well restrained.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the brakes have no life specification. they typically should last longer than standard brakes, but it depends on how you drive and conditions. the front brake pads on my 2004 lasted about 110,000 miles, which i thought was fabulous.
    have the mechanic give you the thickness, there is a minimum toyota spec for that. definitely agree with all of the above to make sure everything is working properly.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here are my pads at 142 k miles when I lined the pins:

Front pads:
    IMG_0077.JPG

Rear pads:
    IMG_0075.JPG

As @Rebound said use the HSI display and regen braking can make the brakes last a long time:). Frequent PMs can help ensure parts stay in good condition.

If you are a DIY type, pull the wheels and take a look. If not, have someone you trust do it and replace as instructed.

Then start the PMs to make them last;).

10. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Our 2011 had new F/R pads installed a few weeks ago at 160k -- They could have gone another 20k. I bought the pads last year when it had about 125k, thinking it was going to need them any second. When the average mechanic looks at a Prius they forget that the pads don't wear like a typical car -- 3mm remaining on a Prius pad can be 50k of driving.

Tbkilb01 likes this.