1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How long to charge? (Venice hybrid tech grid charger)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Aaron Vitolins, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve had this old grid charger for years (as you can probably tell by how dirty it is!) And want to use it again.

The guy that build them and sells them says to charge for only 5 or 6 hours, drive it around and do it again for 3 days in a row. we I can’t remember this changers output, but it’s very low, and from my experience in 5 or 6 hours it does do much at all, barely raising the SOC. I remember one time I did 12 hours and it still didn’t seem to do much. I emailed him and told him how long I changed it for and he basically scolded me for charging it that long.

This is a 2008 Prius with over 200k. The battery still seems to have very good capacity, staying at 6 bars SOC almost all the time, even up long inclines.

Dr Prius says there is a 0.12 voltage difference.
    No hybrid battery codes.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Their website shows 350ma.

This is the same "expert" place that says you only need to top charge.

Gen 2 Prius listed as 2004-2007?
    Gen 3 Prius listed as 2008-2014?

Maybe I'm being harsh, but after reading through their website, I wouldn't buy anything from them even if someone gave me the money.

3. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah his website is pretty bad. But the fact is, I have it now, maybe it was a mistake when I bought it 5 years ago. Should I not use it at all?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's the harm in following his instructions?

5. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well when I follow his instructions it doesn’t seem to be long enough to do a top end balance. 5-6 hours barely seems enough to fill the pack.

So basically I’ve lost faith in the old product because his instructions don’t seem accurate, but I also don’t want to damage my battery. :(

bisco likes this.