1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many 2016 Prii have you seen on the road?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Apr 20, 2016.

1. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be interesting to see what happens to Gen 4 sales in the UK, as peak annual Prius sales were 2007-2010, with the high watermark being 2010 with in excess of 10,000 sold. The appeal of the Prius has dropped, with sales down to under 2,500 in 2014. Even 2015's sales didn't even reach 3,500, so the Prius is no longer as popular as it once was in this country.

Sales data says 4,479 Gen 4s were sold Jan-Oct 2016, and given the whole parking brake recall, and time of year, I don't suspect they will sell a great deal more in Nov & Dec. The introduction of other family car hybrids like the Kia Niro and the Hyundai Ioniq might impact sales of the Gen 4 in 2017, especially since they are more conventional/mainstream in terms of interior/exterior looks. Even the C-HR might tempt buyers away who at the moment would be considering a Gen 4.

I looked at the lease prices for the Ioniq, and it's significantly cheaper than the Gen 4. Had the Ioniq been available when I started my Gen 4 lease, I would have strongly considered it as an option. Whatever happens, I'm pleased that more hybrids are becoming available. Even when a modern diesel pulls up next to me, it still sounds like a bloody tractor :)

*I've not counted Prius+ or Prius plug-in when looking at sales figures, to compare like with like.
    Source: http://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1478787083ToyotaUKbymodelToyota6516.pdf

#401 raspy, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Felt, RCO and Data Daedalus like this.
  2. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess in a way, the lowered sales of the Prius in the U.K. are also directly linked to it's reliability, the presently reduced cost of fuel, and a recession that limits disposable income.

The reliability of the Prius probably means owners are holding on to them much longer. I know I'm not prepared to let go of my 2008 T Spirit just yet, and I'm certainly getting my money's worth out of this vehicle. With pay rises still being a myth for many employees in the U.K., Prius owners will be grateful for the ultra reliability that the older models have.

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  3. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are 3-4 driving around the Santa Fe-Taos area, Northern NM. See about 1/day when we're out and about - one supersonic red. This is a geriatric hippie area, I would have expected more...

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  4. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I saw my second one in Mariposa today. It was a Sea Glass Pearl Touring. That's pretty sparse for a California tourist town... and it has been three months since I bought mine.

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  5. HobbsNick

HobbsNick Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I think the other reason for reduced numbers is in part down to the Yaris, Auris and now the RAV4 hybrids. At peak Prius in the U.K. Toyota only sold the Prius as a hybrid.

Data Daedalus, RCO and krmcg like this.
  6. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. In 2015, Toyota GB sold 3 Auris Hybrid cars and 3 Yaris Hybrid cars for every Prius sold. The market in the UK for Toyota Hybrids has grown, despite Prius sales dropping.

HobbsNick and Data Daedalus like this.
  7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving home yesterday on A38 there was a distinctive tail light a few vehicles in front of me, so I selected reheat briefly and overtook a 16 plate same Hypersonic Red as my own 66 plate. When ahead of him I pulled in and blinked my hazards to him but got no acknowledgement and left the main road into my village. After waiting a while at aT junction, as I drove into the village the same car I had overtaken was coming the opposite way through the village. He didn't seem to notice we had similar Prii at all! (n):eek:

8. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm pretty sure that most people don't share our same enthusiasm. It's just a car to them.

RCO and Data Daedalus like this.
  9. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find it infinitely fascinating that in 21st century UK, many a motorist no longer seems to appreciate the vehicle they drive. I am old enough to remember a time when motoring was fun. People knew almost everything there was to know about the vehicle they drove, and strangers flashed their lights in acknowledgment or greeting as they cruised past each other.

Today? You have a disturbingly large percentage of people driving cars they have absolutely no interest in. None whatsoever. Some can't even recognise the same or similar model of vehicle, even if they were standing directly in front of it.

Nothing hurts me more than the gnawing ignorance that seems to fester in some folk behind the wheel. I see so many people who seem to drive with imaginary blinkers attached. They see absolutely nothing around them. It's as if they're alone on the road - despite being surrounded by other vehicles!

I've long ago stopped flashing my lights at Prii...even copies of my own. Nobody seems to care in London anymore

iPhone ?

RCO and krmcg like this.
  10. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I spotted and pointed-out a 4G Prius to my wife yesterday. I don't see many here in the mountain west.
    I am very attentive to passing cars, especially sports cars, and older classics (like the 57 Chevy, BMW's and Corvettes). The new Prius design is so distinctive (not a complement) they normally draw my attention.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A middle aged young man outside a hypermarket was drooling over my car when I parked outside. He commented on the fantastic looks of the front end. He was struck dumb when I told him it was a new Prius. He just stood staring at it, rooted to the spot as I walked away, smiling.:):whistle:

#411 RCO, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  12. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that for the vast majority of drivers, a car is merely an appliance, a way of getting to A to B.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

13. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I continue to see many more Chevy Volt's. Very few new Prius.

14. benlovesgoddess

benlovesgoddess Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Only seen one (outside the dealers) in the last couple of months. I have decided to abandon Fuelly and stick her in Power mode - I'll start enjoying the drive rather than the MPG!

RCO likes this.
  15. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're doing just the right thing in going for the enjoyment. You won't lose much mpg in the process. With Cornish roads I'm always scared of causing a small tailback, so boot into the red more than I'd really like, but with farm machinery on our roads often forming a rolling chicane when there's nowhere to overtake, following drivers get hyper impatient. I know the exasperation only too well myself and would hate to be held responsible for more road rage.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  16. benlovesgoddess

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cheers! By shuffling along I was getting just shy of 70 mpg. By booting it, looks like 55-60 mpg tops. I was reading somewhere that an extra surge of battery assist makes the initial touch of the accelerator in power mode feel so quick.
    For me, the 9.6 second 0-60 time is the fastest I've owned - I appreciate it is not performance car territory, but it is faster than a V6 Jenson Interceptor, I car I always thought of as sporty!
    I would guess our 0-30, and our pick up from 50-70 may be faster than in comparable cars with better 0-60 times due to this.
    I wonder if anyone has been on a track day with a stop watch in a gen 4....
    I am seeing lots of Auris and Yaris Hybrids around, guess they are full of would be Prius drivers.
    The Kia Optima plug in looked good outside, but bland inside.
    After owning a Hyundai, I wouldn't own another, including the Ioniq. Badly built, lacklustre and poor dealer support.
    A lad at work has a Niro and mentioned getting about 66 mpg, but I think that is from the computer.
    Well, that's all I'll be using from now on!
    After spending the last 12 years working out each tanks mpg (apart from 5 years on heating oil), I have decided life is too short.
    Probably literally, eh?!

17. madmax75

madmax75 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I see a blue one every day. Oh wait that's mine. I don't recall seeing any other gen 4's here just gen 3,2,1's and 1 super hard to find tesla

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. benlovesgoddess

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a treat yesterday - a blue Gen 4 Prius taxi in York, and a black Tesla Model S in a village nearby. Still got 58 mpg, even with a heavy right foot.

raspy and RCO like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Out walking the dog tonight, saw a dark coloured one roll by, turn away from me at the corner. Seeing it in profile, I couldn't quite undertand what it was, was thinking Insight2? After the turn figured it out from the tail lights. The first one I've seen while on foot; I have seen one while driving.

Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  20. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm spending more time in the centre of London, and Gen 4s appear to be more prevalent as each day passes. Usually grey, white or black. Yesterday, in traffic, there was one behind me, one to the side and another one parked on the side of the street.

Oh and a black cab driver (that's the slang for the official licenced London taxi, not a cab driver who is black) went beserk at me because I was driving at the speed limit down a 20mph one way street, and he behind, wanted to go much faster. At his first chance, he pulled alongside me, opened his window and accused me of being a ******* Uber driver who is a ******.

I was going to argue back with him, but just smiled, waved, and said, I'm getting 82mpg right now - have a nice day "mate" :) That didn't seem to calm him down, in fact, I think it merely reminded him that he was driving a vehicle with a horrible old and noisy Nissan diesel engine.