1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many are getting screwed by mileage tax?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by firemechanic, Feb 18, 2013.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Coronodo Bridge in San Diego used to collect a toll to pay the construction bond to build the bridge. After it was paid off the toll bridge was closed. Free bridge. I believe the general fund pays the maintenance. That is rare

2. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Repealed is good. People are fed up with high taxes. More fed up with gov spending it like a drunk sailor on furlow and fed up with it's asking for more. Also fed up with fat cat pensions for gov retires being paid from taxes which should be allocated to services.

CalvinL likes this.
  3. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about people being fed up with stagnant wages, underemployment, unemployment, cut back in hours?

DBCassidy

JMD likes this.
  4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have major problems in this country and the way those jerks on the hill are looking out for us it will never get fixed in my life time.

dbcassidy likes this.
  5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Politics is a crime. I was listening to CNN and one of the Politicians was going on about the deficit and the reporter asked if he would volunteer for a 10% pay cut to help the Treasury in these difficult times and he said no because the savings would be so small. How about setting a example. He would rather cut entitlements and raise the Medicare start age to 67. Crazy. They also want to raise social security from 62 to 65 and full from 66 to 70. Crazy the fat cats taking away from seniors. Sad day in America. In the meantime my friends teachers, fireman who have been crying the blues all these years are drinking umbrella drinks in Florida retired in there fifties with 80 or 90 % guaranteed pay and Cadillac health care and tax payers are being bleed dry paying for it. Most Americans get a 401K and a retirement watch or a boot to the street in there fifties.

CalvinL likes this.
  6. CalvinL

CalvinL 2013 Prius Persona Black Cherry Pearl

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *LOL* from taxes to criminal politicians - or is that political criminals? So does politician = criminal? I think a large portion of the problem is privatized healthcare and that the HMO's partly lobbied in such a way that the consumer pays a huge portion or else rely heavily on medicare - so the cost on both sides keeps soaring. Balanced approach to things?! *HAH* my @$$. I like Mars Attacks with Jack Nicholson... Good movie... especially when the aliens meet Congress; "we come in peace" *LOL*. Congress must of been taken over by aliens dressed as hooomans. Beware of the wolf dressed in sheeps clothing.

JMD likes this.
  7. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It gets worse my friend. Years ago I had a HMO pay $20 and not a penny more. Now it is so Gerry rigged if you get anything but a Simple office visit you have to pay a $3,200 deductible first that resets very year. The company says that I how they can keep the premiums low. My friend gets really sick and he needs to not work they want to put him on disability and not pay his wages and end his health insurance. America is a Cold heartless place. My parents taught me to save for a Rainy day. It's pouring rain out there. Thank g-d I'm healthy.

Forgive the soap box just got back from a 5K walk. It is my way of getting the stress out.
    Picture of the Beach were I partook.
    image.jpg

8. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Few of us realize that the "fat cat" Federal Civil Service retiree pensions since 1984 are computed at 1 % of the high-three year salary (any highest three years) x years of service. If your "high three" salary years top out as a GS-13, a common and fairly high retirement pay grade (around 9oK/year, depending on GS "steps"), and you have, say, 30 years' Federal service, it might be instructive to calculate what a shockingly small retirement annual sum that comes out to. This FERS pension is separate from the Social Security pension at an appropriate age.

The largest value of a Federal retirement is in the Federal Thrift Savings plan, a kind of 401K -- but only for those who steadily contributed to it... which is voluntary. So the "fat cat" is actually pretty skinny, and the largest portion of the fat cat's daily sardine meal might well be largely self-funded.

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maximum Social Security payout is 40K annual. That assumes you were paid $113,000 a year.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In The Good Old Days, the public-sector salaries were uncompetitive and the benefits packages were nothing remarkable in comparison to many large companies.

Then the Bad New Days came, the USA struggled to compete with low-cost economies, distribution of wealth shifted, more jobs paid minimum or near minimum, households needed two incomes, living costs rose, healthcare prices jumped, people lived longer and the public sector pay and benefits suddenly looked ridiculous and unfair.

I wish people would stop the revisionism and understand that the public sector is merely a flashback to how the nation was, so rather than spewing envious hate they should simply be demanding rational reform. You'll actually find that in many cases new hires already have different conditions to long-serving employees.

I certainly don't mind the idea of raising retirement or entitlement ages or cutting benefits. I think it's actually a problem that the taxes and benefits don't change year to year. Since it's all based on an ever-changing fund, there need to be continual adjustments. Sadly, there are enough stupid and selfish people out there for politicians to prey on that rational policy is impossible.

11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the gov just put back all the money they took out of the SS fund with interest that program would be very well off.

JMD likes this.
  13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't go giving the politicians in my state any ideas, they tax the heck out of us as it is.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the local complaints are aimed more at pensions such as this: Are retired lawmakers’ pensions too sweet? $107K ‘is fair’ to Norm Dicks

As for your Civil Service example, that looks pretty good compared to what my private sector employer did to its pension program a decade into my career, in the name of 'staying competitive'. And it looks fantastic compared to the next change a decade later. I'll just say that the many of us booted out won't be getting less than the few who were allowed to stay. :(

'Might well be'? Mine is completely self-funded so far, and will always be majority self-funded. It is a good thing I saved plenty more beyond the 401K limits of that era.

... and the general Treasury would be in an even worse pickle. SS was always a pay-as-you-go system, with little reserve. Reagan changed it to build up some significant reserve for the future, but borrow-and-spend budgeting very quickly dispatched that reserve. I don't see any way out without either significant tax increases or default or very painful inflation.

15. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Put a call into Tony Saprano and request a sit down.;)

DBCassidy

16. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  17. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only in the great U S of A can u fail so bad at ur job and still get paid with all the bennies.