1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many bars should be on dash battery meter? Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon)

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Gearbreaker, Feb 23, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    drivetrain was great on mine. but the body wouldn't pass inspection in 1980, on a 1972 model.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been told two things.
    That may or may not be true.
    But
    #1 being that the Battery Meter you see on your dash is a middle of the way, representation of actual charge.
    That is it's never really as depleted as it is showing, nor as fully charged. The HSD system is designed to keep the Prius Battery charged in the "Middle Way". That is, if for some reason you discharge your battery down to a bar or two, that doesn't mean you are a bar or two from a totally dead battery, and vice versa, if your meter is showing a fully charged battery, it also PROBABLY doesn't mean your battery is sparking electricity like a prop from the laboratory of Dr. Frankenstein.

#2. The HSD system uses the electric motors/battery to get the wheels moving. On an regular ICE vehicle a lot of energy is used going from stationary to moving. It's the same for a Prius, you just get the benefit of that initial momentum being created by battery power and usually not fossil fuel.
    My observation (which again may be right or wrong) on my old 2013 Prius, was that once warmed up, and with a decently charged battery, at a stop where my engine turned off...initial momentum 8mph or less, seemed to be created primarily by the battery. So I would get a "spike" of usage on start up...that would very quickly be reduced as the engine kicked in to take over the immediate torque demands for my driving situation. This assuming acceleration to "normal" driving speeds...and not a parking lot saunter.

I have always tended to advise newer Prius owners...and even some veterans....to worry less. We tend to say "Knowledge is Power" and want to know exactly what our Prius may be doing and why. But sometimes in the case of a Prius....Ignorance is Bliss.
    Most often...the battery is charging correctly. And most often, the HSD system IS working correctly.
    My feeling always was to evaluate my Prius by overall results. That is...driving dependability and MPG. As long as it was running and operating as a vehicle...and as long as I was returning Hybrid acceptable levels of fuel efficiency....that's pretty much where I left my worries about "Is this Normal?" or Is this OK?....
    I did put a lot of faith in the idea that perhaps outside of suspension or brake issues, The Prius would throw a code if a real problem within HSD system was to manifest. Or I would notice a significant and undeniable loss of fuel efficiency.

But I know some owners, actually purchase Prius because of the levels of "Extra" information that can be obtained and monitored.
    And I think if you want to pursue that level of understanding and monitoring? More Power To You and Your Hybrid Battery.
    Just don't let information separate you from just enjoying the vehicle.

#22 The Electric Me, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. Gearbreaker

Gearbreaker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is a very interesting take on things. Yes I agree with everything you said. It never occurred to me that the battery meter is somewhat fluff. After all is said and done, you are right, I feel that the efficiency is just about where it should be. However, I have learned to roll with the charging/discharging and let it do what It wants but without my coaching I have had not so fantastic results. The adaptive cruise control loses me 5mpg and it makes me look like an idiot by breaking hard for almost no reason at all. The distance setting is also not stable and it changes as the drive goes on. It piss winds the engine to keep up with highway traffic and it begs for mercy. (I now see why there is no tach on the dash). I never use this expensive option. On a four hour trip that I often do I would net 48mpg at best (paying attention and anticipating every little hill ahead). Now that I "see" how the system is operating I can get 51.5 if I put in the effort and watch the gauges on my tablet. It is interesting that I have been re-learning how to drive the car now that I understand it better. After a few more weeks I am pretty sure that I will remove the tablet because I will have learned to drive at the best possible efficiency. I really love the car and it is easy to drive. I drive so much that I like the distraction of the challenge to get the best mileage possible. Its like a game so my long trips go by much quicker. So with all of that said, the car is a pleasure to own and the fuel savings are helping pay for it too. I couldn't be happier.

Been really finding some interesting things by charting and graphing.....

The EV mode kicks out at 15 MPH whether I like it or not.
    The EV system does kick the car in the nice person for one second over 50 MPH, nothing more.
    Over 50 MPH the EV system harnesses the inertia from the Motor/Gen. after the boost.
    Under 50 MPH the EV Keeps on helping constantly under load.
    The EV Button is only effective under light acceleration.
    The Battery charge indicator is not at all accurate. It lies horrifically.
    Coasting down hills and decelerating does not regenerate and charge the battery.
    Very light braking kicks in the regeneration when decelerating. That's weird.
    The adaptive cruise control bails out at 8 MPH.
    Only lame apps to make Toyota money are available on screen.
    Genuine Toyota oil filters are available on Ebay for $2 in lots of 12.
    Mobile 1 has special Fully synthetic oil for Toyotas.
    Road noise increases as tire tread decreases.
    The 2017 v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon. Only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation) gets no better economy than the 2014.