1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many EV miles do you get after a full charge now?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Flynlyon3, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was hoping for a screen shot showing EV and HV miles, or MPG for one of your EV doubled runs. I observed in my wife's PiP that I could not get EV HV miles screen to register a EV mile while in HV mode, even going downhill for a mile making sure ICE did not start.

How do you count EV miles el Cruero? No screen shot necessary.

2. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Congratulations amigos, but you are just beginners!

Married 50 years with two beautiful, successful middle aged daughters (one of whom owns a Prius wagon). Oh, and my champion Havanese doggie, Ricky Ricardo.

#142 el Crucero, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    bisco and CharlesH like this.
  3. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm the Modfather, my PIP is el Crucero (the cruiser).

I count EV miles as miles when the ICE doesn't turn on. It takes patience and attention to the details of acceleration and braking.

bisco likes this.
  4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I disagree, but perhaps I didn't explain myself well. I pulse and glide in HV mode, not EV mode. If you keep the power bar on the HSI below half during your "pulse" you can keep the car in EV with no start up of the ICE. So yes, I am taking "pulse and glide" to a whole new level with specifically the PIP and perhaps I should be calling it something different than pulse and glide.

And my results are based on going from point A to point B and back to Point A. So any variations in elevation, wind magnitude, and payload are evened out.

#144 el Crucero, Nov 6, 2015
  5. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Been reading this thread this evening and find it very interesting. What I would like to know is what type of mileage you are getting with your pip's. If baylorbob is getting 20 or so EV miles then his mpg should be much higher than everyone else's. Is that correct in my assumption?

6. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    New level of inefficiency...;)

bisco likes this.
  7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The modfather of el Crucero claims that the charge gives him 11-14 EV miles, but being careful in HV he can get 20+ total miles round trip without the ICE coming on and he does not care if these are counted in the system as EV miles or as HV miles, he is counting real miles on the road. @el Crucero, correct me if I am wrong.

At the end of such trip, when shutting, there is a trip summary display for about 30 seconds, summarizing the trip distance, time and consumption, in the manual it is called 'ending display'. Please take a shot of this display and post it here. A picture worth thousand words.

#147 giora, Nov 6, 2015
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    patience, grasshopper.(y)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're only counting gas used over the trip, (which is how the car does it) it depends on how far you drive. on a 16 mile trip, with one mile of hv, it could be 7,8 900 mpg, but on a 100 mile trip, it could be 80, 90 or 100+ mpg.
    if you drive ev until it runs out, the meter starts at 999mpg, but quickly drops as soon as the engine comes on and goes into it's warm up routine.
    without plugging in, i regularly get 65-70 mpg at the pump in favorable weather.

benagi likes this.
  10. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "Screen shots!? We don't need no stinkin Screen Shots" (Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles)

The ending screen shows shows 20+/- miles depending on length of the trip and MPG is 999 miles and the ICE NEVER turned on under some specific conditions.

11. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    You consistently refuse to to post a picture, I wonder why?

3PriusMike and markabele like this.
  12. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You consistently refuse to believe me, I wonder why?

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The unwillingness to contribute anything constructive to the discussion gives good reason.

It's so simple to share detail. Why not?

Isn't there a curiosity to find out more about what you've observed?

markabele likes this.
  14. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    "Anything constructive"? Give me a F-ing break! I have told you my experience and the details. Don't believe me if you like,,,,,,,,BUT DO NOT QUESTION MY INTEGRITY! which I have worked a lifetime to build! You don't know anything about the record of people who post on these Forums. Sir, you are out of line! (n)

#154 el Crucero, Nov 6, 2015
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We haven't got any measurements yet.

No numbers to do anything with prevents any progress.

16. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Without facts and measurements objectively collected by the car and easy enough to share - the discussion is not constructive.
    Maybe you miss something in your observations which leads you to a wrong conclusion?
    The line here is sharing driving and other experiences with the car backed with facts and measurements for the benefit of all, in this respect you are out of line.

17. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have done all that. Don't believe me if you want, I stand by my experiences. Just don't call me a liar! Perhaps YOU are the one missing something in the way you drive your PIP. I have told you what works for me in my SPECIFIC circumstances. I presume you, and apparently most others, are unwilling or unable to duplicate those specifics. If I give you a screen shot to prove my point, then you will say I am lying about going from Point A to Point A and that my trip was really all downhill. Screen shots prove nothing!

Under some circumstances, not all, I can get far more than my initial EV charge of 11 to 14 miles by extending these electric only miles in HV mode after EV mode is depleted. I cannot feel or hear the ICE turn on, the mpg gauge near the speedometer remains pegged at the top, the Fuel Consumption bars on the MFD are all at the top, the Energy screen on the MFD shows all green with energy either flowing into or out of the battery, the HSI final screen shows 999 mpg, and the final distance is far more than 14 miles. The actual distance varies depending my actual route. This is Point A back to Point A within 30 to 45 minutes going the local in City speed limit or less, so all variants even out. Once I went 22 miles in EV only on the Freeway from Point A to Point B going a maximum 60 mph at which point my EV miles were depleted when I exited the freeway, but I then had additional HV miles to use in electric only around town. That trip included about 5 miles on the freeway with significant elevation drop that regenerated significant miles and I don't count that as part of my around town experience.

Your comments are not constructive and and in this respect, YOU are out of line!

#157 el Crucero, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Until we see pictures, I think I speak for most people on here when I say, we don't believe you.

So there is no point in spouting your argument anymore when a simple picture would do wonders.

You want us to trust your integrity? Well, we don't know you. So you need to earn it from us. So far you've done nothing to help yourself in that department.

giora likes this.
  19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Think about it. You've provided a description of your drive. It makes sense and seems to include detail. From a user point-of-view, it's all that would ever be needed. From an engineer perspective, only a summary was offered. In terms of being able to analyze, there isn't anything to actually work with.

For example... my commute this morning was 29 minutes long. I traveled 18.6 miles total. The resulting average was 174 MPG. The displayed EV distance was 12 miles and HV distance 5 miles. All but 2 of the miles were at suburb speeds: 45-50 MPH. The 2 were merging on & off a 70 MPH highway and HV was taken advantage of during that segment. Temperature was 45°F. Lower grille was 100% blocked. The entire electricity-charge was used.

Even that gives more information. No photos. No route map. No reference to after-market device readings. But it is more than what an ordinary driver would convey... which gives us something to work with.

#159 john1701a, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  20. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Here is the problem I have with your description and maybe you can help me out so I can understand your entire trip better. For me, the only way that I can get any HV miles in electric mode is when the ICE is already warmed up. If I start with a cold engine, drive 12 or 14 miles in EV, go to 0.0 EV miles remaining, the ICE comes on immediately and I never get to use those HV miles in electric. However, if I start with a cold engine and 12 miles of EV showing, manually switch to HV, drive some number of miles and get the engine warm, then switch to EV and use up all those miles, when I get to 0.0 and the car automatically switches to HV mode, the ICE will not come on (assuming all the various speed, acceleration conditions are met). And then I can get another mile (or two sometimes) in electric as the battery bars click down...eventually that ICE kicks on because the battery is low.

Your description is missing the reasoning as to why the ICE doesn't come on immediately when you've used up the EV miles. Now maybe you are coasting at that moment. And maybe your car is hot because it was sitting in the sun. Or...or...something is different and good science includes enough data so that it can be repeated by someone else.

Mike