1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many Gen 1's still in day to day use?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by pshawfocus, Nov 11, 2018.

1. pshawfocus

pshawfocus Picard would own a Prius...

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a few UK websites which supposedly allow you to see how many cars of a certain ilk are left (for example, http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk). I'd like to think I'm adept at interpreting complex info but I'm not entirely sure as the model naming conventions are a bit vague. I also recall someone saying a few years back that there were only c. 300 Gen 1's left on the road in the UK but the stats on the above website suggest about double that. Does anyone know of any worldwide stats?

This arose from a discussion I had with some fellow classic car aficionados, some of whom agreed with my assertion that the Gen 1 is already a bonafide classic car, others (less charitably) claiming it's merely an old, rather generic Toyota.

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I see a couple a day out here in Northern California :).

And out here they are in decent shape too;).

Always nice to see the still running around (y).

Bruce Berquist and m.wynn like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    still see a lot around here, beautiful condition, considering road salt. no idea how you can find out the number of registrations

4. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    UK: I've seen none round where I stay. I think the UK only got one model so that website you mention should be easier to figure out. There are also import ones from Japan too and I have seen a LHD for sale.
    I think this is why the parts are expensive here as they have to be imported. £225 +vat for a lower suspension arm from the dealer. Ouch!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. pshawfocus

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you take a look it appears that the model / naming convention is a bit of a jumble, hence it's not easy to determine what's what. Plus the way the data is presented is also a bit confusing. If you can work it out please share.

There are 2 nearby, both silver like mine. One in beautiful condition with a private number plate, owned by an elderly couple in a large house (I think it's her car, they also have a Volvo estate along with another smaller car). There's also a rather battered one I see parked on the roadside near to me. Looks like a daily driver and has sadly been through the usual parking wars. Of course we UK'ers suffer from salt on our roads through the winter period so I've no idea how either are standing up to the corrosion worm.

6. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I need to take a look at the site and see what you mean.

As to corrosion, mine is a 2001 and the recent MOT allowed me to get a good look underneath. Just in front of the rear wheels, the inner sill had the start of corrosion. So I've applied rust converter and coated it in a good waxoyl. That was the only bad bit I could find so happy days.

Looking at the history of where the car has been: started in Wales then moved to the Scottish Borders. And now me in Lanarkshire. And at 184k on the clock, I'd say the bodywork has survived really well.

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  7. pshawfocus

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 17 years old and 110k miles mine has a few unsightly stone chips on the bonnet and a couple of parking marks, one on the front bumper and a couple of tiny dents - like someone has pushed them thumb into the bodywork - on a couple of the doors. The back end of the car is pretty good and smart - anyone following it will probably think it's a much newer car.

I've not had a chance to get underneath it yet but might ask the Toyota garage who are shortly going to give it a hybrid health check to put it up on the ramp for me (they've looked after most of the Toyota's I've owned so hopefully they'll be willing to spare a bit of ramp time).

Location wise, mine was new in Guildford, then spent a couple of years with me in Brighton, then came to to Croydon, before going to Epsom and now back in Croydon.

Depending upon what the ramp finds I may follow your lead.

8. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Yours sounds like mine. I got a ton of receipts with this one and I mean a mountains worth. Checking through them it's had plenty done to it including a new hybrid battery 6 years ago hence why I bought it. My other threads detail some of the issues I've had, worth a look, including replacing the ICE part due to a con rod breakage whilst driving down the motorway. That was fun!
    At that point I was ready to write the car off but I love driving it. My other car is a full on Ev so this one complements it by being a HEv.
    I reckon that if you service it regular and by that I mean more than the recommended intervals, your gen1 should run for many more years to come.

9. pshawfocus

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always felt that way and treated all my cars sensibly - don't crash it up and down kerbs, avoid potholes, drive smoothly (hard on and off the gas unnecessarily puts undue stress through the entire drivetrain), don't cane it when it's cold etc etc.

I'm gonna get the hybrid health check done, check the underside, then assuming all is good will spend a bit of money and change all the tyres (I reckon 3 of them must be at least 10 years old), get the bodywork smartened up (dent magician type thing), have the alloys refurbished and have it thoroughly serviced by my Toyota garage (I know that's a polarising thing for many owners, particularly for a sub £1500 17 year old Toyota but it's my preference). I'd also like to get the front windscreen replaced too plus have something done with the drivers seat where the springs / padding have become a little weak around the upper part.

10. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Glad to hear your determined to keep the car good. It's not just a runner which I think a lot of people treat them as especially in that price range.

As to the seats, I was lucky enough to pick up a set of Renault Zoe seats that had 400 miles on them and we're free.
    I cut off the original runner bases so that they would bolt in to the same holes and welded them to the Zoe seat. Nice a comfy compared to my drivers seat that was really gone. 20180824_203106.jpeg

11. pshawfocus

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As well as being a Toyota HSD fan I've also owned a few Citroen's over the years. You could pick up a 2CV for pennies 10 years ago but now....a bare minimum of £5k for one in average condition. Classic-car-land is fickle with a capital F but potentially the gen1 Prius could go the same way.

12. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Totally agree. I'm tempted to store this one forever and get another and another etc LoL

13. pshawfocus

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would too but they're just too great to drive!! I'd be far too tempted to take it out of the garage every day! :)

14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius likes to be driven too. Leave it sit & the batteries will deteriorate from neglect.

pshawfocus likes this.
  15. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the UK and have not seen another Gen 1 for ages. I see one about every three months. I saw one in Morrison's car park owned by an elderly gentleman. He gave me the thumbs up!

Mine is coming up to 18 years old now. It has no parking dents or scratches at all. I've just replaced all the tyres, and a wheel bearing.

At 98,000 miles it feels like a new car still. I absolutely love it. Mine gets used every day, and it always gets curious looks. :)

The only trouble is the red triangle of doom. It comes on now and again. It's being diagnosed soon, so hopefully a replacement of a few modules. I have been quoted £700 (unseen) to replace the whole lot. I shall consider that if a cheaper module replace is out.

16. pshawfocus

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whereabouts in London are you? I’m in South Croydon. Mine has no triangle of death but does have a few very minor dinks and scratches on the body work. 111k and still drives very sweetly. I have a couple of trim rattles from (what I believe is) the passenger side of the dash and a periodic clonk which emanates from behind the drivers side over certaint bumps, A few other minor bits and pieces which I’m going to get fixed during 2020 along with having the wheels refurbished. Planning to love it long time ;-)

17. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi.
    I am in North London.

I had my hybrid battery reconditioned over the weekend and it now drives like a new car. Apparently a few modules were very low and that was causing the dreaded triangle to appear. £400 it cost and I thought that was pretty good as Toyota UK wanted £1700!!

I have no rattles at all. I used to have a few rattles but they all disappeared when I replaced the tyres with higher quality one's. Four wheel laser alignment also did wonders.

Do you have the factory fitted sat nav in yours? Mine doesn't unfortunately.
    I am also planning on keeping it for a long time. :):)

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You say that like you're comparing like for like, but it is apples and oranges. Your guy changed a couple of modules for better ones, but you still have a very old battery that could give out again. What you would get from Toyota UK is a completely brand new set of modules that will last 10 or more years. But, you have to consider, is it worth spending that kind of money on a car that is not that far off from its twentieth birthday?

#18 dolj, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. Nelsonprius

Nelsonprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought a 2001 with 191,000 kms in British Columbia Canada, previous owner said had just replaced both batteries. I cannot get over how new looking inside and out , great quality, no codes or engine lights, no rust visible except on brake drums. Lower accelerating power than the 1.6L Swift it replaced, but twice the fuel efficiency.

20. Mark6868

Mark6868 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was far more than a couple of modules that were changed. The car's only worth about £1000, so was not worth Toyota UK's price. I got a two year warranty as well. So it can give out within the next two years and he'll fix it.

To be honest, even though I love the car and will keep it until it becomes uneconomical - I have my eye on a newer shape Prius. Hopefully that'll be a long way off yet.