1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how many GIII owners are getting over 60MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cyclopathic, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Judas Prius

Judas Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a really good out of town trip this weekend. A one way trip was 77mi. Using SGII, I got 65.9mpg on the trip down, and 68.9 on the trip back, all highway, 55-60mph the whole way.

Man, I love this car!!!!

Lones g likes this.
  2. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Isn't it funny how people think that if you have lots of highway driving you shouldn't get a Prius because the gas mileage isn't that great. Those of us that do a lot of highway driving know how good the highway MPG can be in this car. AND if you hit some pockets of slow and go traffic, it gets EVEN better!

:rockon:

1 person likes this.
  3. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1
    Another pervasive myth is that regen is the main reason hybrids get better gas mileage than conventional cars.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :rockon:

Be glad you did not end up at 69.9. It is *so* painful to miss 70 mpg by so little :D

5. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Getting over 60 mpg is what I've come to expect in the summer, anything less and I've got a problem. I measure by the tank and not a short downhill run.
    This is from last year and I haven't been able to better it. I don't hypermile or generally make myself a pain in the butt for other drivers.

[​IMG]

Remember I generally get an optimstic MFD display so this is actually 66.2 mpg when calculated.

1 person likes this.
  6. priusito_de_mi_vida

priusito_de_mi_vida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This my last 6000 km trip readings:

[​IMG]

7. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Some great stories and inspiration. I'm only two months into my new driving style with my '11 model. Have managed to stay in mid 40s but am getting better weekly. Occasionally I'll drive through a tank of gas and be at or near 50 MPG.

Anyone ever heard of how bad ones gas mileage could be? If one were to always drive in power mode and pay no attention to everything that the car is designed to do to help save gas?

8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think car and driver managed 38 during their long term test? they must have driven like yahoos. Other then that people getting worse then that when the problems crop up.

BTW mid-40s is a bit low, perhaps still breaking in? learning how to drive for better MPG? there are many advices on this site, look around.

Pers I am not doing anything special, just higher tire pressure, LRR tires and maxing regenerative braking.. also timing traffic lights good luck

9. charlesinoc

charlesinoc meep meep :-)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    =) I"m only at 500 miles @ 10 gallons. That's great for Los Angeles area's. Home of the rudest drivers in the world. Present company excluded :)

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is insanely great mileage! Is this a "normal" prius or a modified one?

11. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Top Gear managed 17.2 mpg - and they're presumably using imperial, not US, gallons. Using US gallons, that'd be 14.3 mpg. But they were driving as fast as possible around a track, not real-world driving.

12. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having just spent 10 days in Maui with a Jeep Wrangler 2-door (there were no more Prii's in all the rental shops), having done less than 700 miles, and spent at the pump (4.54$/gal).
    1-40$
    2-60$
    3-56.77$
    4-10.62$ (returning it to Enterprise at the Kahului airport)

Honestly, why worry over 45mpg, 50mpg, or 60mpg? Just look at the numbers above, and be VERY happy at the astounding MPG you get with a Prius no matter how "bad" you drive it.
    My avg is around 47 summer and 40 winter. I keep my Thule roof rack & cargo year round, as I use it nearly every week of the year.
    I use 15" steel rims with winter tires 6 months out of 12.

My total gas bill, with prices here in Quebec in the 5.50$ US/Gal range, doing at least 1,000 miles a month (almost 30,000km yearly), is less than 80$.

I crazy love this car. (Prius!)

13. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Excellent advice. I just drive normal and always get over 40 mpg. I went to Vegas and back this past weekend. I flowed with traffic, mainly around 75 mph, sometimes a little faster. The car still got 47 on the indicator and 45 calculated. Love the mileage and it didn't take me any longer to get to Vegas and back because I drove the speed I normally drive.

14. mtngal

mtngal New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My other half worked hard this morning at driving economically. We gassed up not far from the house and when we got to work 65 miles later, the car said his average was close to 80 mpg (I got 65 on the same route a couple of times). Great timing for our record drive to work - on the way home we picked up a boxed dishwasher and by the time we climbed back up to the house, the overall average for the round trip was just over 50 mpg (our normal mileage). Amazing what extra weight, some wind and climbing a mountain will do to your gas mileage. And yes, a regular full sized dishwasher in its carton will fit in the Prius without a problem. Just hope this nice, expensive dishwasher fits in the hole cut for the cheap, builders grade dishwasher it is replacing (didn't actually measure things before buying it - dumb, I know).

15. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just put in a new Bosch dishwasher and it fit the standard opening. Don't worry, it will fit. :)

16. priusito_de_mi_vida

priusito_de_mi_vida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hello. Is a normal 3gen prius base model, with:

- Wheels 15" at 2.8 bar.

- Blocked ICE radiator at 2/3, and grill 2/4.

- Scangauge II.

2 people like this.
  17. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    short answer:
    Top Gear results are bogus.

long answer:
    The people who run that show don't like the Prius and will lie, misrepresent the facts, and become totally irrational at times (e.g. there is even a Top Gear episode where a Prius blown up just to show how much Clarkson despises it). The said 17 mpg results were based on running the Prius for only a few minutes from a cold start before turning it off so that most of the gasoline burnt was to heat up the Catalytic Converter/Coolant (this is done to achieve the Prius ultra low emissions rating). Full hybrids like the Prius, are designed to get their best fuel efficiency when driven over 7 miles(>40 minutes) per trip. The said Top Gear test circuit was kept very short to assured that the Prius could not achieve its rated fuel efficiency when Top Gear(Clarkson) compared it to the mpg results from a BMW sports sedan ( which got 19 mpg but at higher exhaust/emission levels ). What's not said on that Top Gear episode is that if the Prius was to continue on for another 30 minutes it would eventually achieve about 50 mpgUS but if the BMW sport seddan were to continue for another 30 minutes in the same manner it would still only get about 19 mpgUS.

Top Gear also fudged test drives of electric cars like the Tesla Roadster and the Nissan Leaf ( Clarkson hates battery electric car with a passionate irrationality). When Top Gear drained the Nissan Leaf batteries beforehand so to shorten the Nissan Leaf's range in their test drive results, Clarkson/Top Gear had not realized that their test drive ruse was being recorded by Nissan's NightWing, a satellite telemetry system which directly links the Leaf to Nissan. When Nissan rebutted that Top Gear test results with hard evidence of test tampering, Top Gear admitted to ruse but argued that their *test* results were never meant to be scientific but support their advocacy against electric cars. Top Gear did the same thing to the Tesla Roadster but the Roadster does NOT send telemetry back to Tesla so Tesla didn't have any OnStar like data to backup its claims of being misrepresented (Telsa recently lost their liable lawsuit against Top Gear) so when Tesla argued that Top Gear results were untrue Top Gear denied any test tampering or wrongdoing.

Yet Top Gear can be entertaining because Jeremy Clarkson can be an over-the-top buffoon.:p However, if you are watching Top Gear for accurate and complete factual information/analysis you are doing yourself a great disservice.:rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  18. hong

hong New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Today was the first time that my HSI displayed 63+ mpg on my daily commute, but that's likely due to traffic than my driving.

19. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius would never get to 50 MPG under that conditions. It was driven on a test track with full gas and hard braking it's not a track car, so BMW M3(?) was having easy time keeping up with the pace of Prius. Prius was racing for best time BMW was just keeping pace and could be driven more efficiently in low power band.

P.S. I like Top Gear, watched every episode. But it's not show about economy (commuter) cars, it's about passion for power/sound/soul and every time a car comes along that is killing this passion they (Top Gear) will trash/destroy it.

20. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    I'm averaging ~50-52 mpg (at the pump-not the display). I attribute this to my normal driving area having a lot of hills.

I've tried following the advice and videos found on this forum and yes, they do improve mpg to some extent, but then I find my eyes glued to the HSI instead of watching the road which is dangerous.

Some of my best mpg's have been when I totatly disregard the HSI and drive normally, even using cruise control!:eek:

I bought this car for economical transportation while many of you hypermilers look at this as a game. If that's how you enjoy your car--fine, but for many of us, it's just too much work trying to eek out every mpg for each drop of gasoline.

In the meantime, I'm content with my mileage and am just going to enjoy the car...