1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many keys did you get?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Matt C., Mar 25, 2014.

1. Matt C.

Matt C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So I just picked up my '14 P C2 on Sunday. I was a bit shocked to only get one master key and one valet key. I've noticed a couple posts here about folks who got two masters and a valet. I'm a little puzzled...I've never bought a car that only came with 1 master key/keyless entry!

So how many was I supposed to get? The sales guy gave me a quick, polished line about how you only get one because it's the least expensive hybrid around. Yeah, ok. This was on my way out the door, so I was already pretty beat down at the time...

How many keys did everyone else get? Keep in mind I'm in a Two...so it actually has a key, not the fob thing.

Really like the car though!

2. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I got 2 master 1 valet, when I bought mine...you best get back to the dealership and demand your key.

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the dealer owes you another master key.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer probably lost it, and gave you only one; hoping that you wouldn't know.

5. Hybrid Dave

Hybrid Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You always get 2 master keys, it doesn't matter if it is a $10k economy car. It sounds to me that the dealership lost one of the keys and the salesman doesn't want to pay out of his commission to have parts cut another master key.

6. Runswithdog

Runswithdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I was surprised to only get two smart fobs with my three. Previous cars had three keys - two master and one valet. Even the mechanical keys are expensive the with chip inside, so yes, do go back to the dealer while you can.

7. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with previous posters - sounds fishy to me - like they lost the key and don't want to cough up another one.:cautious: :censored:

I got two "electronic" keys and one "valet" key. PC2 like yours so these are actual keys.

8. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I second this. Also got two + 1 key.

9. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Did you check the manual? Mine lists two mechanical master keys plus a valet key for the One and Two, and two fobs for the Three and Four:

PriusCKeys.jpg

WilDavis, Matt C., orenji and 2 others like this.
  10. Matt C.

Matt C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the results are in and it looks like it's unanimous!

I wrote the manager at the dealership and the salesman was calling and apologizing within minutes and promising to order the missing key. I'm sure it was an honest mistake and at least I caught it soon.

11. Matt C.

Matt C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Look in the manual?!? Duh! Why didn't I think of that!

ftl likes this.

12. Yup. I wouldn't fret over it much. They would eventually have to notice the "spare key" to go with the documents. I got 2 keys with my hybrid as well.

13. NewYorkan

NewYorkan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good catch. Those key are $400/each. When I got my car, my sale guy kept remind me to be careful with the keys. Those are $400/each. So I treated them like gold, cause they are about the same price as gold. lol

14. ewaboy

ewaboy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    +1 - same thing my salesman told me.

15. Yeah seriously. Somehow one of the keys just literally fell off my keyring just outside my door at night. I have no idea how that happened but it fell on the grass and I just missed seeing it with a flashlight by like a few inches. It was damp the following morning...but the key was still there. I was so scared that someone was gonna steal my car :LOL:

16. tk1971

tk1971 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The keys are pretty water proof too. I'd once left the key of one of my previous cars (IS300, looks like the PC One/Two key) in my jeans that went through the washer / dryer. Still worked after that.

17. Runswithdog

Runswithdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hopefully you don't have two keys to your car on the same keyring. I have seen people who do that, and thought "What's the point?" If you loose one key, you will loose them all.

18. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've had that with rental cars - mostly they give you just one key, but on occasion I've been given two keys on a wire loop with a crimp fastener, making it impossible to separate them.

19. Nah I keep one inside, which reminds me I still have it in a pack from a road trip last month and should move it somewhere else (n)

20. Mark323

Mark323 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Go get em! lol (y)

ewaboy likes this.