1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles at full charge?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SimiPrius, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Maybe I am being a "nervous nelly" (or so I have been told), but appears that many of you are seeing 13.3 miles at a full charge. I can't get mine to charge over 11.3. Considering that I am in a temperate climate, and the car is parked in a garage, I would think that I should see a higher number at a fully charged state.

I have been fully depleting the battery prior to charging it.

Can others post their fully charged amounts so that I can see if I do have a battery issue....or is it just me being too nervous.
    Thanks

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Friday: 13.3 (AM)
    Monday: 13.3 (AM)
    Tuesday: 13.3 (AM)
    Wednesday: 12.6 (AM and PM)
    Thursday: 12.8 (AM)
    Thursday: 12.6 (PM)

I dont recall the afternoon EV miles number on Monday and Tuesday. I'm thinking they were the same or else I would've taken notice. Wednesday was the first day I saw anything but 13.3 miles on a full charge.

I think its just "learning" (at least I hope so). I wouldnt be too nervous about it. Even on the days it was showing less than 13.3, I made it to work on all EV with roughly 1 EV mile left (give or take a few 1/10ths).

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd bet a dollar against a donut that once you get your efficiency up, the car will compute a longer range. That there is nothing wrong with the car or battery. You just need to give it time, work on techniques of efficient driving, and reap the rewards.

If you feel it necessary to be first off the light and first to the red light, you will never see 13 miles. Conserve momentum. Press up the tires toward max sidewall.

Of course, as my wife would tell you, I am often wrong.

Good luck!

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Simi, do you consider yourself a hyper-miler type or drive "normal" for your traffic conditions. Also, can you charge at another location and at a different time?

5. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I am very light on the "gas" (electric?) pedal. I can only charge it from the one circuit that is near the car in the garage. I did not have a dedicated line put in because it is charging the car in 2 1/2 hours, which is within the acceptable range for charge times.

6. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For the best MPG, keep your tire pressure up just under the maximum stamped in the sidewall of your tires. It will give you a little rougher ride, but will decrease the tire rolling resistance and increase your MPG and your EV distance.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You did 0-50 MPH videos on Tuesday. I bet that took the toll. The car probably adjusted the range thinking you'll do it daily.

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There you go. I think this is just like the DTE on our gassers. It is not based on EPA, but on recent history.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. keep in mind, it's not how many miles it says you can go on ev, it's how many miles you do go. two completely different things most of the time.

10. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    What I don't like is that the car assumes that your current trip will be like the average of all of your previous trips. I'd like to know how much charge remains (sort of like a 'charge gauge').

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. it's surprising there isn't a bar like on the regular prius. then, when you got used to it, you'd have a good feel for how far you can go.

12. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I would like to be told what my instantaneous 'miles/charge' is (sort of like the instantaneous 'miles/gallon' reading we are used to seeing in the standard Prius).

I would like to think along the lines of 'conserving my charge', just like I do gasoline. I want to conserve energy whether it is petrol or electricity.

Taking this one step further, I see no reason why EV car manufactures shouldn't compete on 'miles/(kW x hr)' specification for known driving speeds and conditions.

13. planeflyer

planeflyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    After charging last night for the first time, this morning it was 32 degrees here in the Portland area. My Emiles available showed 13.1. When I returned from my 12 mile trip I had used up all Emiles and the closing reading showed 143 mpg.

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I think you're right. There must be some kind of "learning" going on. If I recall correctly, the evening before the first day I saw it go down, I was being a bit of a lead foot too. I guess we'll see as more people report their numbers.

15. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I too hate how the car manufactures want to "keep it simple". The leaf owners call their range estimation a guess-o-meter its that bad. Having real battery SOC is useful.

If you get torque and and andrioid phone you can see raw HV battery state-of-charge. (Probably any modern scan gage.. HV SOC is a standard field). And then you can also record it in a log with location so you can see where you are burning it up.

16. dwtn

dwtn New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have also never seen over 11.3 after charging. Based on answers here I must not be driving "gently" enough!

17. janie

janie 2016 Prius 3 Touring

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    On the weekend rental of an advance model - the most I saw after a full charge was 12.5

18. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most days, mine reads 13.3, but on a couple of mornings it has been 12.9 with the auto system set to "finish time", of 5:50 am for around a 6:00 am departure. That is the only charging I do, regardless of whether or not I drive enough to use all the EV miles available.

19. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps not directly applicable, but maybe: the leaf definitely is always looking at your average miles/kwh and adjusting the range accordingly.

also one thing we learned from the nissan visit is that the SOC can not be accurately measured unless the battery is in an open-circuit condition. this means that while the car is operating, the SOC is a guess based on how much current has flowed out of and into the pack. only when the car is powered off can the pack open-circuit voltage be measured. so while you're driving, the range estimate can be a bit inaccurate.

20. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed but as i mentioned above, the "real" SOC is kind of impossible to know, unless you turn off the car and turn it back on again.

people were very animated at the big nissan engineering meeting regarding this topic but the engineers explained that knowing the true SOC is in fact really difficult. it's compounded by the battery being made up of a whole bunch of smaller cells, as well.