1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles can a 2006 Prius go for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chelsearae92, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Chelsearae92

Chelsearae92 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an odd offer available. A family member of my fiancé is offering to give away a 2006 Prius with 220K miles. It's a lot of mileage, but it's been one owner. The car is still in great shape. I've read about the battery, which they haven't had to replace yet. I've talked to a mechanic nearby that refurbishes Prius batteries and they are really affordable. In order to have space for a new car, I would have to sell my existing car, a 6-cylinder 2006 Toyota Solara Se with only 133k miles. Even though the Prius is free, I still feel like it would be risky. Would it be worth it to sell my car for hopefully between $4,000- $5,000 and move to a higher mileage vehicle? How much life can I expect to have left in the car? It has been maintained well. Also, I should add, I've never had a Prius. Any ideas for future owner would be great!

iPhone ?

John Micheal likes this.
  2. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chances are, a 2006 Toyota with 133,000 miles will last longer than 2006 Toyota with 220,000 miles.

The Prius is designed to last for around 200,000 miles. Some people can get a hundred thousand more miles out of it (up to 300,000), and a lucky few can even get more than that. But the chances of something going wrong that requires an expensive repair go up the older the car is and the more mileage it has. If you have to choose between your current car and the Prius, I'd keep your current car.

donbright, ydpplqbd and Chelsearae92 like this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Plus, ten years is a good life for a chemical battery. I agree with the above, I wouldn't trade.

donbright and Chelsearae92 like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 has 175000 miles and I've had to replace the hv battery, inverter pump, engine water pump, and soon wheel bearings and shocks. So it'll still be running but repair costs will start adding up more and more

5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 has 250,000 miles and it has the original hv battery. I doubt it'll go to 300,000. I'm probably selling it after the hv battery dies.

Chelsearae92 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep the solara.

Chelsearae92 likes this.
  7. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Keep the solara. That car is rare! It might be a classic someday

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to be the contrarian here and say do it, but do your due diligent to verify the claims. See the service history at Toyota and check the Carfax. Of the $4,000- $5,000 you get for you current car, put at least $3,000 of it into a reserve fund to cover any expensive unexpected repairs. Pay for normal maintenance out of pocket.

If you can, learn to do basic maintenance yourself, which is really only oil changes. Do them religiously every 5,000 miles. It is easy and takes only 30-45 min, once you get to know what you re doing. If you can't or don't want to do your own maintenance, can you rope in a friend, brother/sister, father/mother, uncle/aunt, etc to work with you or for you.

If not, be happy to pay a mechanic.

All the best with your decision.

strawbrad and Chelsearae92 like this.
  9. Cdgreg

Cdgreg Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Risk reward ratio does not seem worth it, would keep the solara.

John Micheal and Chelsearae92 like this.
  10. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

The mileage wouldn't matter since they are of the same year. Its about how well the car was maintained. A car with less miles can easily break down if not properly taken care of. Since the high mileage 220k is more likely highway miles, it has far less wear and tear since stop and go city driving puts more wear and tear on the pedals, transmission etc. My 2009 Prius currently has 170,236 miles on it and its mostly high way driven and its not even 10 years old yet. It runs like a clock like new, no signs of power train battery degradation. These cars can be driven up to 300k-500k deepening on how many miles you drive a year if taken care of well. They are commonly used as taxi cabs, so making a statement about high mileage wouldn't last as long is false since there are plenty of these 2nd gen taxis far past 200k on them still with the original power train and traction battery. This taxi made it to 1,000,000 kilometers in a short amount of time.

#10 eman08, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    b100 and Chelsearae92 like this.
  11. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Batteries may be primarily affected by time, but mechanical parts are affected by miles just like with any other car. The Prius is indeed a very reliable vehicle, and you're correct that several have gone far past 200,000 miles. However, if you look at the overall trends, the vast majority of Prii are not going to make it to 300,000 miles, let alone pass it.

Maintenance is good, but it is not and cannot be completely predictive or completely preventative of future failures. Obviously buying a well maintained car is likely to last substantially longer than a poorly maintained one, but after that, it's all just determining risk. And when comparing similarly reliable cars, added miles add risk. That's all there is to it. Some Prii have gone for half a million miles or more, and I'm sure some others currently on the road will get there too. I hope they last as long as possible. But based on the overall trends, most won't last that long - not because it's a bad car, but just because it wasn't designed for such extended use.

Chelsearae92 likes this.
  12. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If they weren't designed for high milage, explain why there are thousands of taxi cab companies around world use them? There is a hell of a lot of them way in the 300k range and even saw one for sale with 334k miles on it still painted yellow on cargurus.com, if you live in a big metropolitan city like NYC or LA, you see tons of them. Uber, Lift uses them too. My 09 has no mechanical problems and its nearly getting close to 200,000 miles. Generally high way driven cars are in a lot better shape than a stop and go car.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Chelsearae92 likes this.
  13. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trade it in for the Prius because you can have it for free! Spend maybe 2000 dollars on repair like hv battery and you can drive it for a long time. The Prius is a very strong car. In other cars there are a lot of thing that can broke down. Like alternators turbos transmissions ac compressors and much more. Prius gen2 must make a statement in 2004 so they made it verry verry strong and reliable. Only big thing is maybe the hv battery in future. Prius gen2 are tanks

Chelsearae92 likes this.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Get a factory traction battery, don't recondition the present one, keep the brake pins lubed, and use good rubber, should get 50+mpg and last years.

Chelsearae92 likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Free is REALLY tempting! Especially if you're a do-it-yourselfer. But a Solara is a sweet car. I can see why you're having a hard time deciding. If you're not too attached to the Solara, that $4-5,000 would cover quite a few repairs. The most likely major ones in the not to distant future (if not already done) would probably be: traction battery, brake accumulator, air conditioning, water pump. But other than the battery, the Solara is heading into the same expense ranges before long, too. I would lean toward taking the free car, but trying to hang onto the Solara if I could. Still, I have a hard time telling someone that getting a car with 220k miles is a brilliant idea. :unsure:

Samuel alikic and Chelsearae92 like this.
  16. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Why not rent another parking spot say for 6 months to test drive the Prius so you can observe it and make a better decision.

Then if you don't want it you can sell it and it wouldn't look like you accepted it just to make a quick buck ;)

Samuel alikic, jerrymildred and b100 like this.
  17. Harrell

Harrell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have 255k on my 2006 prius with nexcell battery upgrade which is lithium

pollypocket53132 likes this.
  18. John Micheal

John Micheal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There is a good chance that a 2006 Toyota with 133,000 miles will last longer than one with 220,000 miles.

19. Jah

Jah Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There does not seem to be much experience on this conversation. The Prius does not have an alternator or starter motor, and barely uses the brakes at all. The brake fluid never even temperature cycles. These are things that need regular replacement on a non-hybrid. The first Gen2 we bought was a 2004 and we gave it to a grandchild at 385K miles. It never had a major repairs. The door stay on the driver's side failed and found out aftermarket ones are crap so enough an OEM one. Occasionally, one of 2 electric water pumps would need to be replaced (hot water, and inverter coolant), a fairly simple process I have done myself a few times. The transmission has no valving, maintenance wise it is more like a manual transmission. Changing the oil in it is a simple process, we do it 1-2 times per 100K miles but many never change it. Changing the fluid and filter in an automatic transmission on other cars is a never ending expense. Gen 2 Prius number 2 has 200K. It has had one water pump and a radio. Just regular oil changes with Mobile One. Gen II Prius number 3 is the baby in the group and has 125K miles, One water pump and regular 6K oil changes. We live in Oregon and have never had or performed any brake servicing on any of the cars. Places that salt the road will have rust issues. Never had to have have any of the cars aligned. Lots of tire sets, Vredesteins are by far the best solution for wear, performance and price. We buy them online and have our own tire mounting machine. We use a bubble level. Never had a tire out of balance, or funny wear. Spin balancing is. overrated and overcharged. So, obviously in this case I would have gone for the Prius. I studied how to repair a Prius battery, but apparently the climate is easy on them in Oregon, as even Prius number 1 is on original. We have catalytic converter theft deterrent devices with fasteners that are nearly impossible to remove without a very special tool I invented. (I happent to be an inventor)

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some do better than others