1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How Many MIles Do you Avg b/w Fillups?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tony Prius, Oct 7, 2013.

1. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

2. maschronic

maschronic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well,

I'm new here. First post. I will set the bar here. I purchased my 2013 PiP 3 weeks ago. My first tank lasted me 450 miles & filled up 9.1gal. My second fill up went about the same but used 9.3gal. I know it is way low what everybody else wrote. I applaud everyone for getting better MPG than stated.

I've only charged it twice and don't plan on charging it all the time. Only when it is convenient for me. If I drove slowly to stay in EV mode, my clients will kill me. However, I did learn a thing or two about the PiP. I heard...cough cough...the top speed is 105mph. I have never driven it that fast since it is illegal. However, I have been told that before. Second thing. I wish they offered some wood trim or something to make the interior better. I'm just hoping that Lexus will offer a Prius version. I will sell my car and get a Lexus version as long as the carpool sticker is available. Lastly, As much as I really like my PiP, I would rather drive my 95 F250 4x4 if it didn't get 5-6 mpg.

Tracksyde and SJ PiP like this.
  3. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hope you got a great price because if you're only charging once a tank you're not saving $ over a Prius3
    Its not convenient to plug in overnight ?

4. Bill Collins

Bill Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well my PIP is only month old ..i have 642 Miles and I di put four gallons in at 340 miles and now little over half tank . Some you guys must be only going downhill ..very impressive milage for a PIP

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! Thats the secret, only go down hill, never up hill! :p

SLOW_RR likes this.
  6. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, it's downhill to work and back.

SLOW_RR and retired4999 like this.
  7. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, I have been driving from Geneva, NY to Canandaigua, NY to my sister's house every day this month to feed her cats, etc. while she is in the "very far" (Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, bizerkistan, and a couple others). It is a 16 mile trip each way through the rolling hills of the Finger Lakes Region. On the way to her house I can get around 119mpg starting with a full battery. I charge at her house (it's the least she can do for me) but only get about a 90% charge, about 11+ miles. On the way home I have been getting between 255 and (today) 295mpg. Yep home is downhill from her house... This tank, I was hoping to get my first 1000 mile tank, and would have except I had to drive to Batavia and back to a train show last Sunday. That 146 miles most using the ICE shot that dream all to .... if you know what I mean. Even so the gauge just dropped below half full and I have 508 miles on the trip counter for this tank at the moment.

I generally fill up after about 600 miles and put in about 8.3 gallons.

retired4999 likes this.
  8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Maybe you should try switching to HV mode on the way there for a couple of miles so that when you leave her house you have a full battery. On the downhill home you might be able to go all in EV.

Mike

9. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh, I use a full (well almost) battery charge to get there (have about a mile left on the battery when I arrive). I switch to HV mode when I get down to 5 miles of EV left (both ways). Use almost all of the remaining charge on the final leg of the trip. I plug in at her house, do the feeding and playing with the cats, a little reading, maybe take a walk around the neighborhood. And once the charge has reached the point where it turns into a trickle charge I head back home. If I drove all the way to her house on HV , I wouldn't have any more for the way back home.... I would also get about 55 mpg going to her house. Would lose out considerably on the bargain. The difference in MPG is entirely due to the uphill or downhill terrain I encounter. I would have a full battery, BTW, on the way home if I wanted to hang around for another 15 to 20 minutes...

Not sure what I just wrote makes sense to all of you, but the route is very hilly both ways. The difference is that the destination on the way home is a few hundred feet lower than where I started. There is no way the entire 16 miles one way can be done with the PiP entirely on EV starting with a 11.9 mile charge. (Remember it is Fall here in the Finger Lakes. Today's High is 58°F.)

Nice thought though... :)

10. maschronic

maschronic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did get a great price in my eyes. OTD $31,424. 0% interest for 5 years. Zero down. I was planning on putting down $15k. If I would have known that the 2014 was that much cheaper, I would have bought the advanced and paid cash for it.

You are forgetting 1 thing. GREEN sticker. I bought that car for the sticker mainly. The gas mileage is a bonus and the top speed isn't as bad as I thought from what I have been told.

11. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This needs more explanation.

12. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, 112 mph top end is anything but slow! :)

13. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as does why its inconvenient to plug in at night !
    That plus the request for wood paneling had me thinking this might be someone pulling our collective legs...

14. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wood paneling… mmmm.. circa 1980? I wonder what our prius would look like with wood paneling on the outside?

Our old station wagon from the 80's looked like this:

[​IMG]

fortytwok likes this.
  15. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When do you take it out of the delivery crate? :D

16. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was more curious as to why anyone would need to go that fast.

17. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah! I hit 70 mph once! :D

18. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, I finally hit 75 because that was the speed limit and I had people in my car that don't understand.

retired4999 likes this.
  19. maschronic

maschronic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    Four

haha. Friends who own Gen2, have told me that they don't drive any faster than 85mph. I asked them the top speed of their Prius. All had no idea. I've never driven it any faster than 65mph because I would be breaking the law. :whistle:.

20. maschronic

maschronic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    Four

As far as "not being convenient" is concerned, I bought the car for the carpool sticker. That was the major driving force. If I can save 15 minutes driving home, it is well worth it. I work 60-70 hours a week doing real estate/property management and own a restaurant. Divorced with a 3 year old son. Own 3 vehicles plus my dad lives with me. 4 vehicles in a driveway gets packed. For me to plug my PiP overnight, I have to move cars around so it isn't parked within an arms reach of the sidewalk. I really mean an arms reach. I don't want it getting stolen either. I can't charge it while I'm at the restaurant because I park in the parking lot and my spot is never the same. Can't park it in the garage because I have collected a lot of restaurant equipment the past 13 years I've owned multiple food establishments. I won't put my tools in the Tough Shed. Too small and not big enough to store everything. Way too much money invested in my tools. If someone was to break into my house, they will have to deal with my dad who served 34 years in the R.O.K. Marine Corp and me & my S&W500. :D Ok. I do own couple of 500's, but I use a Glock 29 10mm or a Mossy 590. I would rather spend extra 5 minutes with my son than moving cars around so I can charge it overnight. Working 90 hours a week is excessive for most. For self employed people, it's no big deal.

Everyone's time is valuable in one way or another. Me, extra 15 minutes a day with my son is worth more than my car payment. More so, I can watch my boy grow because I will never get it back.

Did I mention that my son is named after my reloading press? :p

Lourun likes this.