1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles do you get on the first pip?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusRos, Jul 21, 2006.

1. miwaku

miwaku New Member

Here's an idea: next time you tank, open your driver window or door, press the Power button once so you can see your HUD, and pump the gas. Watch the pips rise. When the top one appears, note how much more gas you pump in. Today I put in only one gallon, but based on my history (one "50" and the rest 125-160), that's NOT one gallon of gas.

2. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Usually at least 120 miles. If it's less then I know the last tank was not properly "filled"

3. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

My first tank was terrible mpg...I "filled up" when I had two pips left after reading about these irregularites...My "fill-up" was 7.4 gallons...

Now, second tank, I got around 130 miles on first pip, and my average mpg...ranges from 40 to 45 depending on types of trips...right now it's at 41 mpg and I am down almost 3 pips.

terri

4. ramarren

ramarren New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miwaku @ Jul 23 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]290910[/snapback]</div>
    I'm still on my first tankful, have 250 miles on the odometer, and the fuel tank gauge seems to be running in near exact accord with #2 in the above chart. The fuel consumption display is quoting 45.8 mpg for the last 177 miles (since I last did a reset).

I did two 70 mile round trips which involved a range of highway and surface street driving. Same conditions, approximately same traffic. First time the tires were inflated to 42 psi on all wheels by the dealer. Second time I'd reset the tire pressures to 36F/34R. Curiously, the MPG numbers for the second trip were up by 1-2 mpg most of the time. I don't think there's enough in that to say anything statistically but it surprised me.

Godfrey

5. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hello everyone,
    While we're talking about miles per pip, does anyone have any idea how far I can go once the last pip starts blinking?

I made it to 90 miles on the first pip, which is in line with the other responses (my first tank).

Thanks!

6. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(*Paul* @ Aug 16 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]304368[/snapback]</div>

Don't try to calculate or guess how many miles you have left. Get thee to a gas station as soon as possible! If you've been reading these forums for a while, you should know that there is a big variation in how much more you can eke out of a flashing pip.

Word of warning -- the last pip had started blinking on my car -- I drove about 5 miles more because I was nowhere near a gas station. Then I went to the nearest one the next day. It was running about 20 or 30 cents more expensive than other gas stations that I knew I'd be driving by, so I only put in about 1.8 gallons. The pip kept blinking and it got me worried. At the next station, still not the one I was aiming for, I put in another 2. It was still blinking. Finally, when I filled up, the blinking went away. Apparently, the gas gauge doesn't register if you put in less than a certain amount at a time.

7. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

The first pip- I had a new record- 168 miles. Of course, when the guy filled the tank, I made him really fill the tank! Burped on him. Excuse Lola.
    Usually it is about 130 to 140 miles.

Loving Prius