1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles for a new car???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by iamuami66, Apr 2, 2012.

1. rjbb2

rjbb2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Something to consider:
    I never worried much about miles on a new car. (Other poster was correct, if it has not been titled it is considered a new car). My experiences now have me thinking differently. Here's why:

I bought a new Tacoma with 82 miles on it. The front brake rotors were warped from somebody slamming on the brakes in a test drive and I didn't notice it till it was too late. Toyota would not replace the rotors.

I test drove a 2011 Prius that had 600 miles on it and was considered new. It had a vibration in the back on the interstate. Probably why it was still on the lot.

Another Prius I drove had 160 some miles on it and the brakes felt weird. Maybe another "slam" on a test drive by someone else? Who know?

I ended up buying a 2012 with 3 miles on knowing I was probably the first to drive it, with the exception of it being driven off the delivery truck onto the lot.

There are some people that get a kick out of test driving and abusing new cars.
    Just food for thought.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As almost everyone else has stated, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

However, I would ask. I think you have a right to ask the dealership "Why" it has that many miles. If it's a dealer trade, it shouldn't be a big deal telling you.

You're taking the assumption of honesty. But 110 miles, while still considered new, means it has 110 miles worth of back-story. You may never be able to determine it, but I'd ask.

3. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your warranty starts from whatever miles are on the odometer. So if it's 110 then you have 36110 mile warranty, so don't worry about it.

4. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even if they unwound the deal, as long as you get to sign the certificate of origin then you are buying a "new" car.