1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles is ok for a 2017 Prius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Eduardo Aponte, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Eduardo Aponte

Eduardo Aponte New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I’m currently planing to buy a Prius, it’s a 2017 Prius two in excellent conditions, but 68k miles seems a little too high for my liking, The price is around 15,000$ my weekly mile commute is 20 miles per week or less, I just want to know your opinions, is 68k miles ok ? Or no?
    Thanks !

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well, depends. My insurance company has me driving about 13k miles a year. I've got about 35k on the clock on my 2017, purchased July 2017. Math comes out to about 14k a year.

But 68k on the clock. Car was probably used as a taxi. I can't imagine anything else for a car in Puerto Rico to have so many miles.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are details of previous owner in the Owner's Manual/Logbook - some drivers drive longer distances than other. I drive ½ what I did 15 years ago.

Eduardo Aponte likes this.
  4. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    My 2017 has 112,000 miles and has been great and reliable. Some scheduled maintenance has been required at 100k and 110k, so you'll need to plan to spend money on maintenance when you get to that point. I changed my tires at 70k, so you might need to do that too on a car with 65k miles already

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $15,000 seems a bit high for a three year old base Prius with 68,000 miles, especially in PR.
    Hurricane Maria left the island a little worse for wear in 2017, and if the car wasn’t on the island for the storm itself It may have been around for the aftermath...or it may have been brought over only recently.

I would have to know more about the car’s pedigree and the local market.
    Priuses are more expensive in California because of the gas prices there which can be as high as $4 a gallon.
    I’m told by the Googles that gas where you are is about $0.85 a liter....or $3.20 a gallon to those of us who still buy it by the gallon.

The 2017 Prius is a great car mechanically, but you’re going to further depreciate it by racking up miles driving it back and forth to work, especially if you have to park it out in the tropical sun all day long while you’re on the job.
    You will save some gas money, but might lose in the long run.

OTOH....you CAN run an inverter with a gas hybrid like the Prius.
    In Puerto Rico this may make the car a little more valuable than a Corolla.

Good Luck!!
    Let us know what you decide.

6. pianewman

pianewman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is this quote accurate? 4 miles a day commute?
    In my opinion, this isn't a good idea for any ICE. AFAIK, ICE always starts up when you turn the key, and this frequent startup, without ever fully warming the engine, creates all sorts of issues: excess fuel in the crankcase, excess water in the oil (never gets hot enough to vaporize), gallons of water in the exhaust.

IF your commute is 4 miles a day, and IF you're able to plug it in, I'd highly recommend a used Nissan Leaf...unless, of course, you need more than 75-80 miles at a time. Our Leaf is our short errand runner, also used for the short 3.5mile commute on occasion. It has been bulletproof, even in the Dallas/Fort Worth TX heat.

7. Eduardo Aponte

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did some research about it, purchased an autocheck, hmm looks like that Prius is fine
    I did some research and that Prius is fine , I purchased the autocheck, they gave it a 90 score which is good, the car was used for leasing, no previous accident or anything else, maintenance is fine, now I’m seriously thinking about purchasing that Prius, I will wait a couple of weeks or months to see if I find a better offer

8. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine doesn't start the ICE when I turn the key (or press the POWER button) unless I've got the heater on - which is rare here, it'll go up to a kilometre depending on the terrain and amount of throttle. The ICE on PRIUS is designed to warm up very quickly - within about a kilometre in warm weather.

That said - I'd wonder if it's worth getting a PRIUS or hybrid for a short commute - work out the sums against driving a Corolla etc for the short distances you drive.

9. Eduardo Aponte

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm I know that, cold engines are less efficient, luckily temperature here are always hot(27C night, 32C day) and my commute will get longer, I do work and I’m a college student too, so I will drive more, making my daily commute around 20miles

10. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    For 20 miles a week commute to work, you might be better off getting a bike and just biking to work. Unless you need it for something else like groceries or transporting other people.

Otherwise, I'd look into buying a full electric like the Leaf.

11. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I was going to type something longer, but for the OP you are probably correct. Puerto Rico is an island. I have to imagine they are used to cyclists as commuters, and they really don't have trips that would demand waiting at chargers for hours on end. I mean, how far can one go on an island?!

But the ease of entry (doorway being taller) is always nice on the Prius compared to just about all of the competition in cars and smaller SUV's. That, plus the inverter-argument for power outages, might make it worth it.

A 68k mile Prius in the USA would have had a chance of being a highway car (not likely, but a chance). On an island, or if a Prius was city-based in America - to have that many miles probably means it was used a a taxi or delivery vehicle, which is a lot harder on components than a highway driver. I think I'd be careful about a Prius, on an Island, with higher than average miles unless I could identify the owner and their driving habits/uses.

12. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure I'd look forward to riding 10km to work in that humidity. And there's always additional trips.

I recall when I bought my first car when young. I'd thought I'd barely drive it far (like as far as I drove my parent's borrowed car) - but ended up more like - 5+ times my estimate!!!

13. BlackT0P

BlackT0P New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have over 270K on our 2016. All oil changes and tranny plus coolant services done at ANY Toyota dealer to keep record of all services.

14. -Yousef-

-Yousef- Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm glad the 4th gen has maintained the long deserved reliability reputation of the Prius

Tande and krmcg like this.
  15. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    That's impressive.

Tande, krmcg and BlackT0P like this.
  16. Ajrob671

Ajrob671 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

Wow that's nice considering I bought my 2016 Prius 5 months ago with 27k & already put 14k miles on it. At this rate I'm going to have 65k miles at my 1 yr Mark.

That's why I pick Toyota because they have a great reputation for long term reliability

Mambo Dave likes this.