1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles on your Prius when you had first brake work done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by krmcg, Sep 15, 2015.

1. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just noticed some brake "grabbing" on my 2008 Touring Prius with 118,000 miles. I live and work in suburban Los Angeles, so plenty of stop and go driving. If I do need some front brake work done, is this typical of others?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The maintenance schedule recommends regular brake inspections, a LOT sooner.

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have regular inspections on my oil changes and tire rotations. Just has always been "green".

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I replaced my front pads for the first time at about 140k miles on my '07. Rears still looked good.

krmcg likes this.
  5. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    154K miles so far and the brakes still have lots of pad left.

krmcg likes this.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ask any dealer and they want to replace at 60,000 ;)
    I just did rear rotors and shoes because someone drove 600 miles with the emergency brake engaged, they admitted it, grr. But normally, the brakes last well, it's usually operator error involved.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Try putting your Prius in neutral at about 30 MPH and lightly apply the brakes to clean the runs off your rotors (repeat until no noise). I have 278,000 miles on my 2004 Prior with the original brakes! Some have had early brake problems due to stuck slider pins, so if you do have to replace the pads (and/or rotors), make sure to lubricate the slide pins to allow equalized brake pressure on the inside and outside of the rotors.

JeffD

krmcg likes this.
  8. 08 PRIUS #4

08 PRIUS #4 Prius Chat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My 2008 had just over 200k. I hit a deer and while I had the car up on jacks, I just did the front rotors and pads because it was convenient to do it. Was at least 30% remaining yet and rotors looked good too.. Oh well. John

krmcg likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The best way of making sure your brakes are trouble-free out to ludicrous mileage is to not neglect them, but do regular inspections every tire rotation or so, just as you would with any conventional car. Because of regen braking, the normal pad and rotor wear is crazy slow on these cars, but all the other things that need attention with brakes still need attention.

That way, if the slide pins get stuck you can unstick them, if you spot a tear on a caliper boot you can get the repair kit for cheap, if the friction surfaces are glazing you can find out why, knock them back down with 150 grit hand sanding, and have your brakes in top shape out to 200,000-plus miles.

If you let any of those small maintenance items get ahead of you ... ask me how silly it feels to end up having to machine rotors and replace pads that would still otherwise have something like 80% of their life left....

-Chap

krmcg likes this.