1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many miles until new front brake pads are needed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tedjohnson, Aug 15, 2013.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have 60Kmi on the 2010, and was told by the dealer that I was down to 4 mils of pad. Hard to believe, since almost all of my braking is done via regen. What has the experience of others been? Is this a dealer looking for work or are the pads wearing a lot faster then seems reasonable? Thanks

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2011 has 73,000 miles.

At the 70,000 mile mark, I personally inspected the brakes and measured 5mm on the front pads, and 7mm on the rear pads.

The front pads start at 11mm, and need replacement by 2-3mm. At this rate, I will need new front pads and rotors by 90-100k.

iPhone ?

JMD, cwerdna, TsKarma and 1 other person like this.
  3. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Obviously it depends on how hard you brake, how often and speed. But when I went in for my 35K mile maintenance and was talking to the agent, she said at the rate I was going, I'd exceed 100K miles before having to replace the brake pads and maybe even 150K miles. We'll see.

I recall a taxi driver said his brakes had to be replaced around the 60K mile mark.

Mike

TsKarma likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when we sold our '04 with 95,ooo miles last year, the mechanic said the front pads would need replacing soon, but not neccesarily right away.

tedjohnson likes this.
  5. JDB

JDB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone know if changing brakes is an easy DIY? Any different than non-hybrid vehicles?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Just from what I've been reading, if you just jump in there's a fair chance you'll end up with warning lights on the dash after pad replacement. There's also a chance the system will try to pressurize while you've got a pad off, pushing out a piston. In particular if you open the driver's door.

There are things that can be done to get a DIY'r through a pad replacement, and a few hardy souls are doing their own I think. Personally I might leave this to the dealership, even though I've done brakes on previous vehicles.

To the OP, why don't you pull a wheel and visually verify pad thickness? Don't unbolt anything on the caliper, just use a strong light, look through the inspection hole in caliper where you can see both pad edges. If the thickness is as they say, get them on it, what else can you do? It's not a second mortgage, lol.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had front pads replaced at 30k miles and front discs at 60k miles. Just replaced the rear pads at 80k (rear discs ok).

It all depends on your driving. Very heavy start stop and you replace them at 30k miles. A nice steady 100 mile commute and you may never need to replace them upto 150k.

JMD likes this.
  8. bauerhillboy

bauerhillboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my Prius for a few months...34k on it now. I've done a lot of brake work on other cars and my experience has been that, while the pads and rotors may be ok still, the whole business needs to be taken apart, cleaned, lubricated, and put back together. Is any of this a consideration on Prius brake systems?

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure, it's a conventional brake system. While it may see less use, the same principles apply.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you are not very familiar with the non-friction brake systems you will cause an expensive trip to the dealership, even though you think you have limited yourself to the friction brakes.

Either become VERY informed of the quite complex braking system(s) of the Prius, or limit yourself to pads and rotors.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  11. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Our 2010 needed front pads replaced at 62,000 miles even with very careful braking using regen, to the max. I guess the gen 3 do not have the pad lifetimes of the gen 2 reported here.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  12. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have 75k miles on my 2010 and when I had my tires rotated recently the brake pads were almost 7mm. They might make it to 150k miles at this rate.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure mine were never the same after the recall in 2010. Prior to that there was barely any wear.

14. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think they decreased the brake life after the software change in the 2010 recall. Mine certainly had a different feel and my scan gauge indicated that the friction brakes would come on faster than before.

15. graham hendren

graham hendren Geeman .. taximan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    have you had new pads on yours grumpy?? did u get your car from new ? wats miles on it now etc

16. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Just came back from the dealer with the following brake wear report. At 87k, front pad has 30% left and read pad has 40% left. Of course, they also advise to do something while your car is on the bay. They said I should machine the front rotors if I don't replace the pads and rotors now. The estimate that the current set will last till about 96k. Total or the pads and rotors, plus tax, will be close to $1000. I told them since I have only another 10k to go before new components are put in, why should i waste $200 now to surface the front rotors. I may as well invest in a whole new set of components now or wait another 6 months. My own estimate is, according to the service history and my driving habit, the brake will last another 10-20k until the 100k mark.

The Critic likes this.
  17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It appears the European gen3 has softer brakes than the US versions. Apparently we like sharper brakes with more 'bite' and thus they do wear quicker. Our roads are generally more congested overall than in America and you'll rarely be able to drive any distance without having to brake or ram them on when some muppet pulls out on you.

My car is just shy of 80,000 miles of which 64,000 were taxi work. I replaced my pads roughly every 30,000 miles and the front discs (with the pads) at 60,000. Yes they were worn - down to 1mm.

I just had to replace the pads on the rear at 77,000 miles and the discs were ok but I can see them needing replacement before the rear pads wear out next time.

Our local Toyota dealer replaces brakes on a fixed price basis, which is about £100 front or rear pads inc vat. You might be able to get them cheaper but with the Prius braking system being 'weird' and many UK garages unfamiliar with the car, you might be best staying with Toyota.

toyolover likes this.
  18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 138K on my 2006....

...Envoy. ;)

Why would you have to change your pads out at 60k? Do you deliver the morning paper?
    First....make sure you HAVE to.
    If you've replaced pads before on another vehicle, then you'll know how to check for yourself to see if it's required now. Taking it to the dealer to see if the pads need replacing can be somewhat like throwing your wallet down on the counter afterwards and saying:
    "Well OK, but only charge me what you think I should pay...."

Goofy (2010 G3) has 55K miles on his brakes, and there's still a lot of pad left on the front.....and I drive it like I stole it.
    If it were MY car instead of a company supplied vehicle, I'd probably swap the pads out myself, after verifying the procedure, and after proving to myself that the pads were worn down enough to justify replacement.
    IIRC, this is done frequently on the G2's by removing the Aux battery or pulling a fuse to prevent the brakes from cycling - and at 60K you shouldn't have to worry about fluid yet.
    If you have to have it done for you, have the dealer or independant mechanic tell you why, and give you a firm quote up front for the labor.
    I cannot and do not believe that this is a dealer-only job.

JMHO.

Good Luck!

*Edit* When I say K, I mean thousands of statute miles which is not to be confused with nautical miles (NM) or those pesky little kilometers (k). :)

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to comment on the above: the "K's" are likely Kilometers (Canadian post).

toyolover likes this.
  20. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Yes, K is kilometer. Thanks for clarifying it.