1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how many of you have gotten speeding tickets in your prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 05azprius, May 5, 2011.

1. Cactuscoug

Cactuscoug CactusCoug

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I received my first ticket in 37-years a few months ago. I dropped my wife off at the airport for an early morning flight. I was driving home around 5:00am, not fully awake. I got nabbed for going 62 in a 50. I avoided the ticket by going to on-line driving school, but it took the better part of a day, and cost me $250. It would have been cheaper for my wife to park at the airport for the week!

2. 05azprius

05azprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

make her walk home!

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha, Prius getting a speeding ticket. Stop the trick questons.

:D

4. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since driving my Prius I have the urge to coast down hills in residential areas at well above the posted limit. I also want to take corners at higher speeds to maintain momentum. Frankly, I'm suprised Prius's aren't targeted specifically in low speed limit settings.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    None in several years, but have had 4 total.

90 in 65 - Geo Metro, 3 cyl, 5 spd
    84 in 65 - Geo Metro, again
    73 in 55 - Honda Civic
    75 in 55 - Nissan Maxima (Was given "obedience of speed monitoring device - it was 3am and I had been the only one on the freaking road for awhile)

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know it was possible for that car to reach that speed without blowing up. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  7. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sometime in the late 90's while driving on I95 south at night from Savanna, GA to Vero Beach, FL, I could not get away from a Geo Metro convertible with two occupants and what appeared to be luggage in the back. I was driving in my 93 GMC Sonoma single cab pick up with a 2.8 liter V6 with a 5 speed manual XMSN. I could not match speed or overtake the Geo metro. My trucks speedometer is only graduated up to 85 mph and then it pegged on the trip meter reset peg. I could not understand why I could not pass them and people in the Geo though it was hilarious that they were faster. This is before GPS's were common place so I have no idea how fast we were actually going.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

8. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I frequently could get up to 100 in my Chevy Sprint, which was the same thing... except I was in km/hr not mph... I do not think it would have done 90mph without going downhill with a big tail wind... not that those times don't happen.

9. 05azprius

05azprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    didn't they also for a short time, produce a geo metro turbo?

10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    not sure but this one is funny!

1 person likes this.
  11. 05azprius

05azprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

wow that was some bad acting....bad video all together heh. i've always wanted to put a cadillac 500 into a geo metro convertible.

12. sevlillevik

sevlillevik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got a speeding ticket for going 70 in a 50 mph construction zone, but that is all of the speeding tickets I have had. When I had my old volvo, I got pulled over three or four times total, twice in one night. But none of those times that I got pulled over in the volvo resulted in a ticket.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since buying a Prius, I've had one traffic stop, and it was for speeding ...

... on a bicycle.

I was clocked at 15 mph in a very short (single driveway) politically contentious (and legally questionable) 10 mph zone. No ticket, probably because I was not exceeding the legitimate limit.

14. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jeeze, haulin' nice person in the Metro? I was following one on the curvy West Virginia roads last year and that guy was flying! I could hardly keep up! It was funny though, because these people were sitting on their porch and all they seen was a Metro go flying by at about 80+mph then seconds later, a Prius come flying by at 85+mph. Haha!

I know, a review from Car & Driver tested the Insight, Prius, and Metro together (don't ask me why) and they said the top speed of the Metro was only 87mph. The 0-90 test said N/a. LOL.

15. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I almost got a ticket one day.
    I was climbing a small hill and when I reached the top (I was going 64 in a 55) I met a cop at the top who was going the other way, I seen him flick his lights on to come get me, so I slammed on the brakes and swerved into someones driveway and drove behind their house. Heh.

16. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Got pulled over one night cop asked if I was lost! Told him I was just Driving slow.He was looking for Drunks it was 3am.I guess if you drive 5 mph under speed limit they think your drunk?

17. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No ticket, but I was stopped on the infamous 405 fwy at 3:30 am, doing about 57 in the far right lane. Cops figure if you are going slow you might be compensating for DUI, rather than hypermiling. After the two female CHP officers determined I was sober and on my way to work, they kicked me loose. I had the parting shot when I pointed out to the lead officer that she had whipped cream from a donut on her necktie. Her partner got a good laugh out of that!

18. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hilarious!!

Ironically, NOT getting a ticket is what got me started hypermiling. Six years ago I was wafting along in my Subaru at 80-85mph in a 55mph zone. Suddenly two laser cops hiding in the shadow of an underpass nailed the guy next to me and the guy behind me. I couldn't figure out why they didn't pull ME over. +30 would have been a huge ticket, much than I could afford. When my heart rate dropped a bit I decided I just couldn't keep on living like that.

Life is much calmer now.

19. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I fly in my prius because I know I'm "flying under the radar" in it. But no one believes I speed in the prius anyway. Half my friends think the car will explode past 50 and the others just don't believe me when I tell them I've gone 90+ in it....

20. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got a ticket last year driving south on Route 9N into Crown Point, NY. Usually, when I come into a town, I start a long coast, with my speed more or less dropping with the speed limit. The trouble with this road is that right after the 40 MPH sign at the edge of town, there is a steep downhill, on which I coasted to over 55 when I got snagged.

Really, officer, I was just trying to save gas.