1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many Prius do you see daily?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Nov 18, 2004.

1. JayGoldstein

JayGoldstein Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Sep 7 2006, 09:52 AM) [snapback]315710[/snapback]</div>
    Things are different here in Winnipeg. On a per capita basis, we may be the Prius capital of Canada. The main reason is that taxi companies are buying Priuses like crazy. A recent article in a local paper reported that there are 60 Prius cabs in the city, and that the cab companies are adding more to their fleets (replacing the much-more-costly-to-operate Ford Crown Victoria).

I drove by three of the four local Toyota dealers a week ago to see what kinds of Prius they had on the lot. One had none; another had one (Black). The third dealer had two, but both of them had "sold" signs on them. Judging by the names of the new owners, they had been sold to taxi companies.

I'm guessing that with so many Priuses in the city, techs will get plenty of practice. That can only be a plus for those of us who drive "civilian" Priuses.

PS. The cab companies asked the Taxi Cab Board to approve the use Honda Civic Hybrids. The Board denied the request on the grounds that the Civic doesn't meet the minimum requirement for cargo capacity.

2. Fineagedwine43

Fineagedwine43 New Member

Well, I have seen 3 of them in the last week... There is one on the street next to us, and I saw one while on the bus going to work last week, (It was that sea green or blue color one), and there is an employee that I work with that has just gotten his Prius 2 months ago.. we struck up a conversation about it, and we both agreed that we love the car! He has that real red one.. (not sure of all the colors yet, but I am learning).... I told him that he needed to talk to Wayne about the Pulse and Glide system, as he was complaining that he is only gettting 50 MPG... I also touted Priuschat.com.. so maybe we will have a new member. I told him that we have meet-ups and seminars and about some of the nifty things like the Energy Fair, and the Elgin affair.. he is very interested.. so perhaps, he will join.... Hmmm.. maybe we should try to make up some PriusChat stickers or flyers to put on the Prius's that we do see to give to people that we do know or see that they have a Prius...... lets get the word spread around a bit!!! Thanks to Wayne, whenever we have to take the Van anywhere, I pout because I want to take the Prius.. I love that car!!! lol :lol: B) :p :wub:

Oh, and by the way, that meeting at Maggiano's was great.. I had a great time and it was nice to meet the new folks! Hope to see you soon at the next one!

Hey Tony, tell the MRS. Hello for me!!!! Oh, and it was great seeing you again too!!!

Teresa

3. babsie444

babsie444 New Member

Took a day trip from Winston-Salem to Chapel Hill yesterday (about 90 miles each way) and saw NINETEEN!

Prius Nation! :lol:

4. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    About 2 per block here in San Francisco, it's ridiculous.

5. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the San Francisco east bay area and it seems like I see at least 15 Prii daily :blink: . But it is probably more like 10 per day. But if I'm taking a drive or watching cars I could easily count 20 :) .

6. Tyrilla

Tyrilla New Member

My current high here (small town, about 25,000 people) was six on my way back from lunch, about a two mile jaunt. I was parked behind another red one at a light, so we were a pair. I don't see nearly as many classics though.

I often see three or four a day, and sometimes there are two in the parking lot with a Civic hybrid. On my summer trip through Nebraska, I hardly saw any.

7. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

The Prius has become an extremely popular car, and in Berkeley, California the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that everyone traded in their Volvos and Subarus for Prii.

In other words, it almost seems like every other car in Berkeley is a Prius.

Vince

8. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Probably 60 or so at work, I see them all over the place. The S.F. Bay area seems to be a prius breeding gound.

9. billyboy

billyboy Guest

The very first one I saw in traffic was on the way to the dealer to order mine. I pulled up to him at the light and I was kind of giving the car the once over and I bet the driver throught I was a bit weird. :D

10. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Sep 9 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]317023[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen a couple of these on the Parkway on my way to & from work. I also caught one of the Escape Hybrids on the Asbury Circle this morning.

11. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 2 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]326902[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Oct 2 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]326922[/snapback]</div>

I think the San Francisco Bay Area is the Prius capital of the U.S.... ok maybe not but there are a TON of Prii in the Bay Area

12. cbc

cbc New Member

Yes, I was going to say the same thing. Here in the SF Bay Area, they are everywhere. For the past 6 months or so all 3 of my daughters play a game where they see who can see any hybrid on the road first (to them hybrid means Prius). I'd say they average at least 1 every 45 seconds. Today we were sitting in a shop looking out on El Camino and they probably called one out every 30 seconds. :blink:

By comparison, we took a long camping trip this summer around the west (primarily to Colorado) and saw very few outside of California.

13. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just returned from a trip from the DC area to St. Louis, Missouri via Lexington, Kentucky, and back via Cincinnati, OH. We drove a total of around 1900 miles and saw a grand total of FOUR Prii. Two on the way out and two on the way back. The funny thing was coming back. We just happened to stop at this small roadside winery/restaurant in Kentucky and there was a black Prius in the parking lot. Then, at another town, we stopped at a Bob Evans, and there was a Salsa red Prius parked in the lot next to it. After leaving Bob Evans we saw a Salsa on the road -- we believed it must have been the same one. Anyway, the only two (or three) Prii we saw in 1000 miles or so of driving were at the same two places we happened to stopped.

Anybody here from West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or Missouri??

14. gilroyrealtor

gilroyrealtor New Member

Statistically, the most Prii are sold in Northern California. Therefore, I see about 10 a day. On my street alone, there are 3 Prii. My sister has one too. I think it is great to see as many as I do. That means there's less pollution in the air, and less money going to foreign oil!

I will admit, mine is the coolest, Black with Tan Leather and Tinted Windows!!!

15. pjelkins

pjelkins New Member

<<Drove from Trenton To Atlantic City for work again- about 70 miles and saw NONE!>>

Barbaram.

I'm a little bit north of you, but I almost never see any around here. I remember seeing one on the Parkway over several trips this summer. Since buying my car, I've only seen 2 in a month+. One was a goldish one that I've seen a couple of times in the morning, and the other one was a rental that I saw on the Turnpike. I know how you feel...

Pete

16. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I saw at least 30 Prii :blink: . Woah..., no really I really did see that many Prii :mellow:

17. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Oct 3 2006, 12:07 AM) [snapback]327188[/snapback]</div>
    There's quite a few in the Chicago area, but not like California, apparently. I often see one, sometimes two in my 8 mile (each way) commute, but it's not a guaranteed daily thing.

When I took a road trip thru Wisconsin to northern Minnesota, I don't recall seeing any. in areas like that, unless you live close to a Toyota dealership you trust, you really need to think about maintenance issues. The local mechanics aren't likely to be up-to-date on that, in many rural areas foreign-branded cars in general are pretty rare, I ran into some maintenance problems when traveling with my Subaru.

I happen to know my local mechanic (not at a dealership) keeps up-to-date, but I also live close to several dealerships in case that doesn't work.

18. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anybody here from West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, or Missouri??

YES, FROM north west Indiana,Merrillville!!
    Can I help you?? Norman

19. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norman H. Renehan @ Oct 7 2006, 02:31 AM) [snapback]329370[/snapback]</div>
    No, thanks -- I don't think so. :lol: It was just that I saw so few Prii on my trip out that way I was wondering how many Prius owners on PC are from those areas. You seem to be a pretty rare breed.

20. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

Saw at least a dozen in the Sacramento to Vacaville (CA) area. At least 1/2 dozen were black.