1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many Prius owners are Vegetarians?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ferrari Spook, Dec 15, 2007.

?
  1. Fruitarian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Vegan

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Lacto-Vegetarian

16 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Fish and/or fowl OK, no red meat

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Red meat from humanely-raised/organically fed animals OK

14 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Gimme 2 Quarter-Pounders with cheese, medium fries, medium diet Coke

73 vote(s)
    63.5%
  1. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eggs, occasional seafood (local as much as possible) and veggies. Tofu & Seitan.

People underestimate the food pallet - from pasta, rice, combos, chilies, salads, pizzas, sandwiches, subs, breads.

Our family eats 100% like any other Canadian family, minus the chicken / beef / pork.

SAME RECIPES.

Okay, a hamburger & bacon cheese melt doesn't taste the same as anything else I can make.
    However I don't miss the associated heartburn and messy #2 :eek: afterwards.

Plus all the additional recipes. People LOVE to come over for supper at our place, there is such variety, nobody leaves hungry. They are rather surprised, and feel great.

I draw the line at eggs, so we pay extra $$$ (usually double the price) for free reign eggs.

I highly suggest the homemade bread machines, now under 80$, make your own healthy breads. Just put a rubber mat underneath so it doesn't suicide off your counter like ours did (we got a free replacement).

2. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A friend of mine once told me

"Chickens are so stupid that you can eat them"

I told him

"If I only ate stupid things I'd be a cannibal "

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry I should have explained that I was quoting a bumper sticker and have no religion because I don't need that crutch.

But why do we have the teeth of a carnivore? How can we stop other beasts eating other beasts?
    As I look at the mosquito bite on my arm I realise I am a food supply for other animals.

4. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would offer the point, that we have neither herbivore or carnivore teeth, which would fit with the biological necessity for humans to get some amino acids from meat sources. the truth is that plants can not entirely meet a human bodies requirements for life and neither can meat fully support human life. We need both, it is a biological fact whose evidence is partially provided by the teeth we have in our mouths. Eight in front for cutting and tearing, eight behind those for further tearing and cutting plus some grinding capability, and sixteen at the back for grinding only althoughmost of us only keep twelve.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Damn, thats profound dude...........:eek: too bad it's true.

Actually, if you're been a vegetarian as long as I have, you're heard all these arguments several times. The bottom line is that my lifestyle is the correct one for me. I hope yours is for you. We're all entitled to make decisions affecting our own welfare, so eat what you want. Just grant me the same courtesy of choosing what I want to eat (and not eat).

Peace ya'll... :D

6. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I must be in one of those ghost movies. I've been dead for over twenty years!

7. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not saying that animals eating other animals in wrong. Some people ask how vegans can breast feed, after all, human milk is the same as from a cow. But the human giving that milk has after all, made the decision to give it up, the cow hasn't.

About the teeth, i would say evolution has something to do with it. Maybe at one time plants were not plentiful and we needed to eat meat to survive. Those times are gone, and we can go back to the way we were intended to be.

If Lions were designed to eat meat, so be it. I was not designed to, just because i can, doesn't mean i should.

8. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So has anybody actually done a thorough study to back up all the various claims. Talking about one with real and actual numbers behind it unlike a CNW special.

Seems to me that there is no such things as a free lunch, whether you use animal or plant or combo based meals.

9. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Gimme 2 Quarter-Pounders with cheese, medium fries, large REAL coke

Sugar and all - (and I manage to be 150 Lbs - :D)

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    actually, if you can eat all that and not gain weight, that is annoying!!

if i ate all that, i'd be out buying new (larger) clothes.

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I suppose "cute" is in the eye of the beholder. It rubs me the wrong way that people will be outraged when others (generally other cultures) eat animals we commonly regard as "cute" when they themselves eat other animals, apparently believing that it is morally reprehensible to eat a "cute" animal but acceptable to eat an ugly animal.

I consider cows disgusting. I've worked on a dairy farm, so I've seen them up close and personal. But I still don't eat them.

12. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Several. Including the link at the start of this thread. The studies weren't done to back up the claims, the claims came from the studies. The study referred to here has some interesting numbers:

Livestock Production: Energy Inputs and the Environment

Even worse than the energy wasted is the much higher ratios of water wasted.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, to save the whales you need to save the ugly krill, to save the panda you need to save the giant bamboo. we need to look after the entire ecosystem. I struggle to understand anyone eating a quail, more work than its worth I think.

BTW I know we have a mixed bag of teeth, but we have some teeth that have evolved for eating meat is what I was saying.

14. bulldog

bulldog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

That link look pretty half assed to me. It assumes livestock are fed by grain, where a lot of us grew up in a culture where it is way too expensive to feed grain to livestock, and they are grass fed.

I would also like to see how they came up with 100,000 liters of water per kilogram of beef.

I do hope that instead of going on this whole meat is bad binge, people should rather focus on exactly why this is, and what can be done to correct it. Normal grass fed beef should leave a far smaller footprint than barn corn fed. Besides their waste feeds the soil for next years grass.

I'll say it again there is no free lunch. Also energy doesn't appear and disappear. Where does all the extra calories cows consume go?? Back in waste going back to the land??

BTW landfills produce more methane than livestock.

15. madler

madler Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then you must have grown up about forty or fifty years ago, or perhaps on a different continent. The move to "confined animal feeding operations" or what is now interestingly called "conventional feeding" began in the 1960's in the Western world as a way to produce beef much more economically with more automation, fewer people, and less space. It was a response to the growing population and the somehow even faster growth in the demand for beef. "The vast majority of U.S. beef cattle eat grain or other high-calorie feed for several months at a feedlot before being processed."

You'll have to read the paper for the details. I was surprised that it takes 2,000 liters of water for a kilogram of soybeans (corn is about the same). Then the 100,000 liters for beef is only 50 times that, which starts sounding reasonable.

I'm with you! Let's mandate that all beef be grass fed. You might not be happy with that though. Due to the remarkable efficiency of confined animal feeding operations, it would reduce the amount of available beef, and the country's eating habits would have to change. Right now grass-fed beef is a niche market.

<highschoolphysics>The energy once used to do work (like keeping the cow alive) is eventually dissipated as heat that is not usable for work. Second law of thermodynamics. It applies to everything in the universe, not just cows. So in fact usable energy does disappear, and is converted into unusable energy as you move towards heat equilibrium.</highschoolphysics>

And so that makes the livestock methane ok?! Anyway, it's not true, though they're not far apart. For the US, 24% of our methane production is from landfills, 28% from livestock enteric fermentation and manure management.

16. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in a niche market, eat your heart out!!! We have a lot of space and grain is expensive.

No it doesn't. I still think if native animals ate the grass they too would fart.
    Gas from landfill can be used to generate power which has a double affect on reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Reduce methane and lower demand on carbon based fuels.

17. vinnie

vinnie New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Even as a complete stranger to this forum, someone who only found this thread by the chance of seeing it in a search engine’s results page, I’m weirdly drawn to comment on all this effort to refute the evidence these people have given: if you have enough of a world-view to understand the problem of fossil fuels and were idealistic enough to buy a Prius, what is stopping you from the realization that contributing to animal industry is against your very own cause?

And now that I’ve started getting epic, bringing up causes, if you believe in equal rights and that famous “all men are created equal†line, where do you define this great human-unifying equality? It can’t be intelligence—people are not equal there. If that were the standard, eating a pig would be the same as eating a three-year-old: “They have the cognitive ability to be quite sophisticated. Even more so than dogs and certainly three-year-olds.†(Dr. Donald Broom, Cambridge University professor and former scientific advisor to the Council of Europe, Cambridge Daily News, 29 Mar. 2002) So there must be some other unifying characteristic among our species: our physical appearance? Not unless you’re a racist, no. Jeremy Benham, a French philosopher during the time of slave abolishment, defined our equality pretty well, I think (quoted from Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, chapter 17):

The day may come when the rest of the animal creation may acquire those rights which never could have been withholden from them but by the hand of tyranny. The French have already discovered that the blackness of the skin is no reason why a human being should be abandoned without redress to the caprice of a tormentor. It may one day come to be recognized that the number of the legs, the villosity of the skin, of the termination of the os sacrum are reasons equally insufficient for abandoning a sensitive being to the same fate. What else is it that should trace the insuperable line? Is it the faculty of reason, or perhaps the faculty of discourse? But a full-grown horse or dog is beyond comparison a more rational, as well as a more conversable animal, than an infant of a day or a week or even a month, old. But suppose they were otherwise, what would it avail? The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but Can they suffer?

Any way you look at the issue of animal-industry, the plain truth of the matter is that the environment suffers, the animals suffer, and we suffer; violence is virtue-less and has and always will be.

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tell you what Vinnie,
    You eat a vegan diet if you like and I'll eat a omnivorus one. I won't push my standards or diet onto you and you don't push your standards and diet onto me.
    Deal?

If you see a pig as a 3 year old human that is fine by me.

19. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with this 100%, people are outraged that some people eat cats and dogs, yet will sow on a fat steak while having the conversation!

20. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not about pushing standards Pat, its about opening the eyes of people who have not yet seen the light (talk about a religious connotation!). If you're conscious enough to drive a prius to help the environment, why wouldn't you give a chance to veganism, which will do at least as much as your prius does to help the environment? Forget the animal rights and killing, think about the earth. There are many articles showing how farming of cattle, chickens, etc is inefficient, so why do you accept a inefficient diet, but try to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of your car? Just because it tastes good? Well its fun to drive around a V8 sports car too...

Don't look at it as people forcing their standards on you, educate me as to why eating meat will help my health, the animals, and the environment, and we'll go from there :)