1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many Prius owners believe in Global Warming theory?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by AllenZ, Oct 1, 2010.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, but i do believe the climate changes day to day and year to year.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If there is such an overabundance of water, then why is it than in the American southwest cities are buying up farmland in order to obtain the water rights, making it more and more expensive for farmers to irrigate? The Colorado river runs dry before it reaches the ocean because there is more demand for water than there is supply.

We ration resources based on ability to pay. As long as there is one barrel of oil, you can say we have not run out, even if only the richest man in the world can afford to buy it. In fact, the Earth will never run out of oil. But the more we use the more expensive it becomes to extract what remains. At some point extracting what remains will be so expensive that you and I will not be able to afford it any more.

In effect, that's what's happened with clean drinking water in much of the third world. There is water, but it is too expensive for poor people. What do you do when fresh water costs half your meager income and you have to choose between it or food? You buy food and drink dirty water.

The time is not far off when people will either drive electric cars or ride the bus because gasoline will just be too expensive. There will still be a lot of oil under the ground. But it will take more energy to get it than it contains. So in a way you're right that we've not exhausted it. But for practical purposes, we're approaching the day when we will have to do without. With the exception of extinct species, resources do not disappear. They just become scarce enough that you can no longer afford them, either because demand far outstrips supply, or because extraction becomes too expensive.

3. Mailmandolin

Mailmandolin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought the Prius to save money on gas. Not save the earth.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ah, another person who doesn't know the difference between "climate" and "weather".

Go outside and look down your street. Looks pretty flat for the most part, doesn't it? Do you still believe the "world is round" theory?

1 person likes this.
  5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I will agree with the statement that local depletions are local. With the possible future exception of Helium, the earth will always have close to our original inventory of elements. I get it.

My viewpoint is that when a local depletion causes people to die, then it's a depletion problem. The fact that it is not a global depletion problem does not solve the problem.

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Woah, slow down there, Michael Moore. I turn on my faucet, I get clean water. Obviously there's lots of clean water in the world. I know you bleeding heart liberals love to press the panic button, but if there's clean water, then obviously nobody in Bangladesh died from contaminated water. QED.

1 person likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ovate. theory is theory, fact is fact.

9. jonjmac

jonjmac New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wow,
    I am shocked to think that if you don't believe in "global warming" as a human caused condition you don't think logically? Hmmm.

I guess I shouldn't be. It is the politically correct THEORY.

One thing that blows my mind is that the scientific community and general public don't consider in any of their studies is - the earths heater. THE SUN.

Does anyone question the fact that the sun may have something to do with global warming. I mean it warms the earth every day right? The absense of sunlight allows the earth to cool.

Has anyone checked to see what the sun is doing? From what I can gather the sun has been increasing its output over the last 10 years at least. As a matter of fact the our sun was reclassified as a variable star when for years and years it was classified as a stable star. If the sun is increasing energy output wouldn't you think the earths climate would change too - or do we really believe the burning fuels has as much effect on our lives as the sun?

Here is my 2 cents... Mankind is wants to think that he is in control of everything. The truth is we don't. Global warming is not man made. It is a well constructed sales pitch that will convince you to give the government more money and more control over your life.

If you want good gas mileage get a prius - that is why I have one. If you want to save the environment, don't buy a prius! Ride a bike! The minerals mined to make a prius do more damage to the environment than the fuel savings could ever compensate for. Just do a search on eco friendly prius. You will see wastelands that were created to mine minerals used in the batteries we enjoy.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to learn how to think critically and do research with primary sources. :) Start with: What are Primary Sources? If you had done so prior to posting you would have realized that the majority of your post is either wrong, misinterpreted, or there are already tons of scientific papers on the subject (the sun's effect on global climate).

I'm all for opposing opinions but please come up with something original and based in science and/or fact rather than hyperbole and falsehoods. Welcome to PC. :)

6 people like this.
  11. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, the sun has been very closely studied to see if it's the cause. It is not to the best of our knowledge.

Solar activity & climate: is the sun causing global warming?

12. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Why is it that false info and media driven frenzy's get more air time than facts and science? We are so doomed...

go ahead a "believe" Fox news...the rest of us are laughing at you. What the hell happened to people? Do we not care about the truth...just ratings? Is it really about dollars? C'mon, let's restore some sanity.

13. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This post isnt worth the couple kilobytes it takes to store it in a database it is so off and wrong...

It is simple. Yes climate change exists. If you dont believe it, you are illogical or ignorant or just blind.

There will be a day when people laugh at you similar to how we now laugh at those who thought the world was flat or the sun revolves around the earth. (Although there are people that still believe both these statements despite everything...)

There really isnt anyway about to convince the "other" side. One side you have reason and truth, and on the other side you have people that shout really loudly about falsities and repeat studies and "facts" that are wrong, old, and/or disproven.

The only difference between this and flat-earth/sun-revolves-around-earth arguments of yester-years is that the church doesnt burn one side at a stake.

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oooh. I know, I know! Pick me!

Because facts and science are really hard. Watching YouTube and TV is way the heck easier.

The folks who keep stressing that Global warming is a THEORY (love the caps!) seem to not understand what theory means in science. But really, any time you see THEORY or FACT written in all caps, you can pretty much be assured that their info comes from that "media frenzy" you are talking about!

Don't even get me started on "true facts" or "real facts."

1 person likes this.
  15. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    jonjmac didnt say climate change doesnt exist.
    Low comprehension 2k1toaster.

16. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "I am shocked to think that if you don't believe in "global warming" as a human caused condition you don't think logically?"

If that is a shocker, then I am not the one with low comprehension.

The rest of the post was what I am referring to as worthless. Between the sun claims and that same ol' Hummer is more friendly than a Prius argument it is really just sad.

And I stand by my statements. I doubt anyone on here can be swayed by posts one way or the other. Especially since most of the non-believers are swayed by Youtube videos that support their opinions and not those that dont. There is nothing more that can be done other than to continue about normally. Those that care will try to offset those that dont.

17. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Just to make this comprehensible to all deniers out there: there are several different skeptical trains of thought about global warming. The most extreme is that there is no such thing as global warming, and that man made pollution actually helps the environment (this was from the same scientist who claimed that smoking was good for your health). There are other deniers that claim that there is global warming, but that it's all natural (be it global or sun sourced). The majority of climate scientists, though, believe that while there may be a natural element, human pollution also contributes to global warming.

2 people like this.
  18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A tiny bit of research will show you that terrible wastelands created from nickel mining happened WAY before the Prius existed. Much of that nickel likely went into the chrome of the muscle cars of the era... but none of it was used to make a Prius.

It is interesting to me that you puchased a Prius "to save money" while apparently also believing that the car causes such devistating environmental destruction. Scary way to choose your products.

2 people like this.
  19. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Indeed, from what I've read, nickel mining has decreased in the past 20 years (since fewer cars have chrome plating). Nickel for batteries is a lot less then nickel for chrome aparently.

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And maybe we should be asking how much gasoline has been displaced with chrome on cars vs with batteries in cars...

But wait... gasoline doesn't cause any environmental damage. Only those raw materials used in EVs and hybrids do bad things, of course!

Anyway... what we were talking about? Oh yeah, FACTS.

1 person likes this.