1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How many quarts oil change WITHOUT filter change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nicoj36, Sep 9, 2015.

1. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry but I lost my owner's manual, but about how many quarts of oil would our Prius need without replacing the oil filter? I know its best to replace the filter also, but I do my oil change every 5000mi and not the 10,000mi Toyota recommends, due to my severe driving and long distance travel.

Also, don't want to sound too demanding but if you could post a screenshot of the Oil change page in the owner's manual that says how many quarts and stuff.

Thank you Priusians! :)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Put in 4 quarts and take a look. It should be enough. Add if needed.

4.4 quarts with filter

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can download a pdf of the manual. Google:

Toyota tech info

And look in the manual tab

It's 4.1 U.S. qts or 3.9 liter

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kinda forgot: there is next to nothing in the Owners Manual regarding the oil change. This excerpt from Repair Manual has the instruction. The main data besides oil qty/grade is the torque values.

For the oil filter, there's a lot of explanation about a little retention clip on the oil filter housing. It actually does nothing, at least doesn't get in the way, hinder anything. As long as you've got a decent low-to-medium torque wrench you're ok.

For the filter housing removal a 14 point socket with around 64.5 mm inside face-to-face dimension is needed. You can get the kosher one from Toyota, Honda has a similar one, and there's a lot more on the web.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    ftl likes this.
  5. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just got mine Saturday so I haven't looked up anything yet but are oil filters expensive enough it's not worth replacing with every oil change? Since oil does not wear out wouldn't it almost be better to change oil at 10k and filters at 5k?

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

That's a confusing posting, lol. Anyway:

If I was going to double the change interval on anything, it'd be the oil filter. My cost for filters, at a local Canadian dealership, is $8.53.

Still, with the American 10,000 mile (or 12 months) interval, I'd stick to changing both the oil and filter. Up here it's 8000 km (roughly 5000 miles) or 6 months for oil and filter change.

7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    3rd here, change the filter frequently, and while yer under the car, change the oil also;)

8. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, maybe I can be clearer. When I ran my Chevy van it called for oil/filter every 5k miles. That was for 100% dino oil. For synthetic I expected to get 10k before changing the oil. My dad, and my Texaco engineer friend, told me oil does not wear out, it just gets dirty and the additives either wear out or are consumed. So after X miles the actual oil is still perfectly fine but the other stuff needs replacing.

Anyway, I went to synthetic in my van and although many people said 10k was fine for oil/filter for the synthetic I changed the filter every 5k anyway. I believed the few extra dollars was a good investment. So, if I read it correctly, I was suggesting 5k oil and 10k filter seems backwards and was questioning why not spend the few extra dollars for a filter with every oil change rather than leave some old, partially dirty and partially additives worn/consumed oil to be mixed with the new.

That should be clear as mud now, hopefully. :D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the tour, that makes sense. The only edict I've heard from a manufacturer is Honda, who say to change filter with every second oil change, at least with our previous civic hybrid.

10. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is interesting. It seems counterintuitive to me, leaving a partially dirty/used filter with new oil. I'd likely disobey and change the filter every time just for peace of mind.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh yeah, that's what I've been doing with Prius, basically following the schedule. With the Civic, having the guidance to leave the filter at alternate changes, I would remove, pour out and reinstall it.

12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not carefully examine one of those filters you take off after 5000 miles to see what it has captured? I'd bet you'll find very little of anything, nowhere near enough to clog it, if your engine is healthy. That's what I found when I looked at filters from my previous car after much higher mileages on conventional oil. These new cartridge filters make filter dissection a lot easier than it used to be when I did it.

13. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Unless the oil filter is on top of the engine, changing the filter every 5K means your changing the oil every 5K as well.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was thinking that, but not so sure: think the oil level in the sump is low enough it'll stay put when you remove the filter.

Still more frequent oil filter replacement seem expensive, time intensive and unneeded.

CR94 likes this.
  15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As the saying goes - "Pics or it didn't happen."
    Anybody try it yet?

16. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right and right.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do what will, but I do not know one mechanic that changes the oil and not the filter in their own vehicles.

E Risch likes this.